Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TWENTY B

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks to antmisk i have 4 little sandies coming in a few weeks
i was hoping some of you could help me setup for the little monsters.
i have a 4x2x2 tank for them to start of in. (fish tank)
i'll get some brickies sand & red desert sand, 50/50 mix?
how deep?
I have heaps of slate from when i did my ackies, should i do a stack like thiers?

photo credit goes to antmisk

Attachments

• antmisk 04.jpg
    antmisk 04.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 309
  • antmisk hatchie 02.jpg
    antmisk hatchie 02.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 255
4 Sandies??!?!?!? You do know how much space thhey are gonna take up in a year or 2?

Set up sounds fine, few inches of substrate on one side, i like to build it up on another so it is a little deeper. A stack or just a branch leading up toward their heat source will do fine.

4 Sandies??!?!?!? You do know how much space thhey are gonna take up in a year or 2? .
i plan on keeping them in a 600 x 1200 x 2400 indoor enclosure when they are older,
will that be ok for 4?
i got all 4 to make sure i get atleast 1 male & 1 female.

I'm going 12x8x2 foot enclosure for one spencer.. that seems way to small.

mine would be 16x4x2
With about 1ft sand in the bottom.
I will only keep 1 male.

To keep 4 adult Sand Monitor's you will need a outdoor enclosure that is no smaller than 12x8x4, like you see in this photo l keep my 4 adult adult Desert Sand Monitor's in, make sure its has heating built into it, and the sand pit is fully enclosed all year around, so they don't get rain on, you should also include a open area for them, like l do for mine, so during the hot summer months they can cool down when its over 34 degrees or higher. and make sure you also have a large water container as you see in 1 of my photos, so they can have a soak on extremely hot days.

Last edited:
Your dimensions 600x1200x2400 for when they are older is exactly the same as my outdoor set-up which also holds 4 animals....... but in this case Kimberley Blue Tongues !!!

Try using your whole back yard !!!

(I'm not trying to be smart.. just trying to get things in perspective)

Attachments

• Bluey Tank.jpg
    Bluey Tank.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 311
How do you get 16ft from 2400mm? 4ft is 1200m so 8ft is 2400mm..

mine would be 16x4x2
With about 1ft sand in the bottom.
I will only keep 1 male.

My pair are kept in a out door avairy 2mt x 2mt x 2 mt & I'm in the process of building an add on 2.5x 2 x 2 . I use plain dirt to a depth of 600mm & a stack of hollow logs.

How do you get 16ft from 2400mm? 4ft is 1200m so 8ft is 2400mm..
THATS A GOOD QUESTION.... i don't know.. lol. can't count:D

............hopefully i will get 1m/3f ... suppose we won't know until thy grow up
however many i keep, they will start in a 4x2x2, after a few months into the 8w x4hx2d
i hope they don't out grow that to fast.. If they do, i'll build something bigger,
space is not something i am short of here...
huge outdoor enclosures wil be complete in 12-18 months

Enclosure size is not the issue, If they need bigger, they will get it.
I'm trying to make sure i get all husbandry right.
Feeding, Heating, etc.

antmisk, how big are they at the moment?
how big are the adults?

I don't want to be the barer of bad tidings but why are you purchasing 4 of something that you seem to not know much about??

A 4ft x 2ft x 2ft (720 square mm floor space) enclosure 2 hatchies will out grow in 4-6 months depending on feeding regime so you can imagine how long it will last for 4.

Why not research first, maybe add a few books to your collection??

Every newbie that comes onto this site looking at buying a herp for the first time is told to research first, Ackies and Sandies are completely different reps and should be treated as such.

If Reptilian66 has managed to breed his wild permit caught adults maybe you should have untilised APS before purchasing...

Just My 2 cents worth

I don't want to be the barer of bad tidings but why are you purchasing 4 of something that you seem to not know much about??
so i can keep them, grow them and LEARN MORE ABOUT THEM.

A 4ft x 2ft x 2ft (720 square mm floor space) enclosure 2 hatchies will out grow in 4-6 months depending on feeding regime so you can imagine how long it will last for 4.
I know this, hence they will be going into the 8x4x2 as soon as it's ready

i have tried to find out as much as possible, including books, which i have. (mike swan)
good info on larger monitors is not so redily available, so i must read as much as i can, and ask as much as i can, and make what info i can get work.

Every newbie that comes onto this site looking at buying a herp for the first time is told to research first, Ackies and Sandies are completely different reps and should be treated as such.
thanks for the newbie coment, i've actually bee here longer than you.
ackies are the common starting point for monitors, which i already have.
now looking to move onto something bigger, sandies are the next logical step
the step after will be class 2 monitors

If Reptilian66 has managed to breed his wild permit caught adults maybe you should have untilised APS before purchasing...
you may find that i have been doing this for quite a while now.
actually i have been using a few other paths to learn as much as possible.

Just My 2 cents worth
katsh,it,
just because i have asked a question, doesn't mean i haven't already asked some other experienced keeper the same question
, which i have done
or that i haven'tread through every monitor based thread in the history of this site.,
which i have aslo done
it's because i want to see what someone elses view is on the subject.
so i can makea more informed decision

keep your 2 cents thanks,

Last edited:
Don;t bother with red sand, is discolours them terribly. Keep them on white sand and you will apreciate their colours and patterns all the more.

G;dy dave

I;m thinking of getting a spencer, is that truley a dimentinal provision for just one?, thats going to be a wake up call i;ll think i;ll stick to gekos instead, but they are truely top monitors, jeda:?

Just My 2 cents worth

Katshirt, you are spot on about researching or seeking as much information on what ever species of Reptile you want before you rush out buying 1 or more of them.
l got my very 1st Sand Monitor in 1979 from a Pet Shop here in Melbourne, then l got my 2nd Sand Monitor from Bredl's Wonderworld of Wildlife in Renmark South Australia in 1992, then l got my 3rd Sand Monitor from a Pet Shop in Goodwood South Australia, then l got 2 on permit from the wild in 2002, and another 4 on permit from the wild in 2003.
Before l got into keeping Sand Monitor's, l would go and visit Zoo's that had them as part of their Reptile Exhibit, to see what size enclosure they kept them in, and l would take into account how many they had on display and where they came from natually in the wild.
l even built up a large collection of books to further my research in different sub-species, where they accured in the wild how big they grow to what they eat and what their temperament was like for when it comes to handling them

So has you all can see l know alot about Sand Monitor's, and l did my homework before l started to keep them, l did not rush out and buy 1 or a few without first doing my research first up, those who don't do any research on what they want to keep, have far more trouble in handling-keeping-husbandry-diets-sexing-health issues than those who do their research first,:)

Don;t bother with red sand, is discolours them terribly. Keep them on white sand and you will apreciate their colours and patterns all the more.

PhilK, l don't agree with what your saying here in regards to using only white sand to keep the Sand Monitor's clean, so you can see their colours and patterns, its not good for their eye sight to have the bright sun or heat lamps to reflect of the white sand into their eyes.

How would you like it if you were stuck in a room painted white, with the sun or bright likes reflecting of the white walls into your eyes.

You should only use sand that matches the color of their natuall surrounding in the wild, such as red dersert sand not white beach sand, thats is much harder to set ot go hard so they can dig burrows in it.

l have been to places since the mid 80's and seen how they live in the wild, such as Mildura-Broken Hill-Alice Springs-Renmark-Flinders Rangers-Murray Bridge-Swanhill.

if you take note of what color sand l use with my Desert Sand Monitor's and what color l have painted the walls of their enclosures, you will notice it matches their natual surroundings from the wild.

Please don't come on here giving advice on what color sand to use in enclosures, without first doing your research on what your keeping in that enclosure, and where they come from in the wild, and what their natual habitat looks like.:D

katsh,it,
just because i have asked a question, doesn't mean i haven't already asked some other experienced keeper the same question
, which i have done
or that i haven'tread through every monitor based thread in the history of this site.,
which i have aslo done
it's because i want to see what someone elses view is on the subject.
so i can makea more informed decision

keep your 2 cents thanks,

TWENTY B, l would do your research before you rush into getting more than one Sand Monitor, by first finding out where the Sand Monitor's your getting come from natually in the wild, and once you know that find out what the temperature is like 24hours a day all year around, so you know what heat to provide to them, and what the area looks like natually, so you can provide a artificail habitat as close as possible to their natual surroundings, if you don't do this research first up, they will only suffer and live a very short life in captivity and wont ever breed for you.

As you can see here in these photos my wild caught Desert Sand Monitor's, have all breed for me in captivity, because l provided them with a good outdoor enclosure with red and bricky sand mixed together, and l also took into account what the weather is like in Alice Springs NT and my local area Melbourne Victoria all year around, so l could make sure they are getting the same heat and dry conditions as they do back in Alice Springs NT.

l've notice you have not bother to ask me for any advice on keeping Sand Monitor's, as you said in a post on my thread about my Olive Python's you would do, l no there is not many others out there, that would no much about Sand Monitor's than myself Les, there is 2 other Reptile's keepers that l know can give good advice on keepin a variety of Monitor's including Sand Monitor's, if you want to know PM me and l will give you there names.

Good luck in rasing your 4 juvenile Sand Monitor's Varanus Gouldii Gouldii.:p

Here is 2 more photos of my Desert Sand Monitor's-Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus, mating together and 1 that has just hatched from its egg.:p

Last edited:
Reptilian66 i never get tired of looking at those pics. they are gorgeous. :)
cheers
mel

Sorry mate didn't mean to turn this thread into a newbie basher.

I'll finish my apology with a little known fact. You can get monitors x-rayed to determin their gender with good accuracy. An X-ray will cost less than one of these sandies and with the size of hatchies you should be able to get four done at once on the one x-ray sheet.

Time on here means nothing... What do I do for a living? have I been overseas? Don't be quick to judge experience on join dates.

Seems that Reptilian66 sees things as I do, 1 Book and a few posts worth of reading will not make you an expert.

If you want to learn about them I think everyone will agree start with 1 next season add another and so forth.

DON"T bring 4 innocent little reps into an ill prepared and experienced environment... What happens if in 6 months their all big and healthy and decide that each other looks like a good meal or a dominance fight gets out of hand....... do you have enclosures available to be able to seperate them? do you have hospital cages at your disposal instantly?

This is a common thing I have seen go awry for years, great enclosure set ups with a number of animals and no where to house them if one becomes ill and even fewer with quarantine enclosures, but thats getting off topic.

Ackies and Sandy's are completely different monitors, firstly an Ackie can bite a finger a Sandy can eat it.

Are Ackies really the next logical step?? I would have thought Gillen's or Storr's...

Another question for based on something Reptilian66 said - you say you keep Ackies, so how long have you had yours and have they successfully bred for you??? Are your husbandry needs right for them??

Reptilian66 "if you don't do this research first up, they will only suffer and live a very short life in captivity and wont ever breed for you."

WORDS TO LIVE BY, IF CONDITONS AREN'T RIGHT = SHORT LIFESPAN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back