australian herpetological symposium

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try to go up for the week prior to the symposium. I'm keen to meet up with and photograph local collections so let me know if you're in the Cairns area and are happy to have your animals photographed (free). This includes reptiles and other animals!

So if you're keen let me know. It will be the week of Monday, Sept 27 - Friday, Oct 1 2010.

My question is what makes a professional breeder a professional breeder?

Is it the amount of reptiles that they produce every year? If I produced 2000 - 5000 hatchies this year people would just say that I'm in it for the money and not the reptiles.

Is it that they work on and produce different colour morphs? Personally my favorite part of the industry.

Is it because they have been in the industry for so long? I know people that have been keeping/breeding reptiles for only a couple of years that can out talk and do better year in year out with the keeping/breeding side of things than some of the people that have been doing this for the past 20 years.

Not having a shot at anyone and I love the fact that we are getting some big names over this way, I'm just curious as to what actually makes someone a professional breeder.

I think the amount you can charge to show up, makes you a professional breeder. No love involved.

hey spongebob, was that really worth posting? what was the actual point you were making? have you been drinking?

Hell Yeah!

I for one, am really looking forward to this event. I am one of the "Old School" guys on this side of the pond who has spent quite a lot of time Down Under and have put in about eight months of actual time in the field across your fine land. My first trip was around 1994. Bob Mailloux and I bought an 80 Series Landcruiser that we still own and keep at a friends in Brisbane. It has been nearly five years since I have been there and I am itching to get my boots dirty again.

I just want to say how excited I am to hear of this event, and more importantly, to hear how far Herpetology has come in the last few years in Australia. When I first was going over there, private keeping of herps was primarily an underground thing in the private sector..... I am really happy to hear that laws have relaxed a bit and the hobby is booming. I don't know too much about what you can, and can't do, and am sure it varies from state to state... but to hear of this happening in Queensland is pretty cool, because as I recal, that was one of the most difficult states.. To know that it has come to the point where a topic such as "Professional Breeding" is even open for discussion in Australia gives me goosebumps LOL. Good on You to all those who fought the fight to get Herpeteculture in Australia to this point.

Is there somewhere online that sums up the current status of keeping in Australia?

I have crossed paths with quite a few Australian Herp keepers in my day, and look forward to seeing some old friends at this event. I might have to see if the old Cruiser is worthy of another trek up the Old Telegraph Line to the top.... and then maybe a stop off in New Caledonia on the way home with Philippe...... Hell Yeah....

Allen Repashy

Attachments

• Allen Australia 2002.jpg
    Allen Australia 2002.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 73
  • the top.jpg
    the top.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 78
welcome to the site Allen :D hope to meet you and Philippe up at cairns in 2010

Welcome Allen.
I think it will be a great event for anyone who wishes to attend.

Love the pic of you fellas...bunch of old bushies...lol

Welcome to APS Allen :) You might have to come out a week earlier to make the trek up to the top...Its gonna be like the 405 in peak hour, the weekend of the Symposium LOL

Allen,
Good onya mate for putting the nay sayers back in their boxes. Really looking forward to hearing you talk.

As a kayak fisherman, I'd like to hear a bit about boardfishing if you have a spare minute. You guys are nuts ( read that as Soft Bodied Shark Lures) though I would like to fish with some of Mark Frapwell's little friends. Very cute red hat and the yellow one's a stunner as well

Jeff

where's the post gone about Robbie Keszey? it was here a minute ago.

sorry, Cairns 2010 thread

hey spongebob, was that really worth posting? what was the actual point you were making? have you been drinking?

No I had not been drinking. I made it clear it was a leg pull. Is there something wrong with injecting humour into such threads?

No I had not been drinking. I made it clear it was a leg pull. Is there something wrong with injecting humour into such threads?

i could see you were trying to inject humour, but i thought only someone that was really drunk would find it funny.

Is there somewhere online that sums up the current status of keeping in Australia?

Allen Repashy[/QUOTE]

I dont think there is...you will get twenty pages of arguments that might tell you what they think the current staus is or you will just have to see for yourself when you get here mate.
I think the symposium is a huge step forward for the industry and it is great to see you guys are in full support of it..Look forward to meeting you

Any-one had a look at the Symposium Home Page lately? Very impressive sponsors starting to come on line in the Sponsors page.

Roll on 2010

So, any further news on this event? I'm more excited about this than I ever was about XMAS! That programme is starting to look like a real winner.

hahaha,gawd,some classic comments in this thread,good on them for having a conference,i wish them luck,i think price wise is a bit hefty,like perhaps they want to keep it small and more for the so called pros,i dont think u could call the overseas breeders more successfu than australian breeders,its a bigger market over there,way more demand,way more cash flow,so way bigger collections,they have easy access to things like gtp,s,have had for decades,so have big collections and are alot further ahead in regards to color forms ect,but i wouldnt go as far as to say aussie breeders arent up to there level,crap they dont even have much luck breeding blotched blueys,the amount of emails i get asking for tips is amazing

perhaps they will have a book out after the conference/symposium,proceedings of the austraian herp symposium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back