Mayan Ruin Hidebox

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 16446

Reaction score
I've decided to make a hidebox with a difference.....and a theme! This pyramid inspired by an ancient Mayan ruin is made out of polystyrene and dusted with casting plaster.

It has had stonework detail etched into it with a hot knife. The pyramid is hollow inside and while it has taken a little while, it was easy to make.

I'll be using this model as the master to make some casts and see if people like them.

The copies will either be cast in plaster or resin, and painted to resemble weathered stone with moss or a dry dusty desert sand.

This particular one is for juvenile pythons, but bigger ones are possible.

Attachments

• DSC02453.jpg
    DSC02453.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC02452.jpg
    DSC02452.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 229
Someone has time on their hands :p
I like it! looking forward to see some final products.

Is that a copy from the lizard guys YouTube tutorials ? Looks good he's got some great tutorials on there

looks just like the one off that "lizard landscape' things on youtube...lol..... i like it :)

Outstanding work, it looks fantastic.

I will put my hand up for a few, if you go ahead and make them.
They will need to be in resin though.

I haven't actually seen the lizard landscape tutorials yet. I'll have to go look now, might learn something, lol.

I'll pick up some resin next time I go to bunnings. They got about 500ml for $19, don't know how many it will do, but it's worth a try.

As for having time on my hands, I get bored sometimes and try to think of different things to make.

These hides aren't suitable for lizards at this stage unless they can walk on upside down slanted walls.

Thanks for the comments too, much appreciated.

I think this is the one that is also found on you tube, I had this in mind for a display enclosure for a full grown coastal,

Well done KingSirloin, keep going..

mayan-temple-15596.jpg

That looks awesome!
Is the hole up the top the only entry and exit? Because to me that doesn't seem enough.
All other hidey holes I've seen have had at least two entry/exits in them.
But other then that. I really love the design.

That looks awesome!
Is the hole up the top the only entry and exit? Because to me that doesn't seem enough.
All other hidey holes I've seen have had at least two entry/exits in them.
But other then that. I really love the design.

Yeah, single entry / exit. That's enough for snakes but lizards or gecko's would need one down low to get out.

It would be very easy during casting to make a second hole, just but adding some polystyrene to block the casting medium.

So far I've been buying Carmens Muesli Rounds which is a great size little box for small snakes and comes with a pre cut oval hole in it. You even get 5 muesli cookies to eat! lol

nice work man, but it does look really similar to the lizard-landscapes but its a top copy should be nice when your finished.

nice work man, but it does look really similar to the lizard-landscapes but its a top copy should be nice when your finished.

Top copy?? lol. I just watched the lizard tutorial and it's a similar shape temple, but I based my idea from a picture I found in Google images. The video has however given me some ideas on painting and finishing it.

Attachments

• World_Mexica_Ancient_Mayan_Ruins_007731_.jpg
    World_Mexica_Ancient_Mayan_Ruins_007731_.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 75
Phase 1 testing has commenced with a subject chosen for accommodation suitability.

No complaints were recorded however the subject did show signs of dissatisfaction when the test item was removed.

Attachments

• DSC02457.jpg
    DSC02457.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC02462.jpg
    DSC02462.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC02458.jpg
    DSC02458.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 138
Be careful putting your snakes in amongst unsealed polystyrene. Especially if it has loose plaster dust over it - it'll clog up in their system rapidly.

Is the top removable? It might be a problem if you need to get your snake out for any reason and there is no way to remove it!

The snake was checked for plaster dust and will not have access again to the hidebox.

The top isn't removable but that's a good idea and I plan to modify the next one to allow a removable top.

Very nice. I wanted to do the same thing for a while now but never got around to it. Now I can buy them off you. What are the dimensions? I'm guessing it has no bottom so you can get to the snake if needed that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back