More new ferals possible

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyPeacock

Not so new Member
Reaction score
The NSW Shooters Party has introduced the Game and Feral Animal Control Act Amendment Bill into Parliament and the Government is thinking about supporting it.

The law lets Game Reserves release pheasants, partridge, guinea fowl and others for shooting. But these species are classified "extreme threat" of establishment.

So it looks like we are getting some more ferals out there unless there is a re-think.

I've spoken about it here

National Parks Association concern here

I would support regulated hunting of some native animals, but releasing feral species is just crazy. Hopefully it can be stopped.

The issue is clouded by the entry to National Parks and the native animal issue. The provision of new ferals has hardly got a mention in the media.

I'm not against shooting or shooters, if they are responsible.

I think you will find it is for Private game reserves not public lands.
There are currently several private reserves that are opperating in Vic and SA
that offer this type of hunting they are very sucessful and dont pose a thret to the native eco systems

I actually don't understand the issue here, but how does introducing more non-native animals to an area, albiet a game reserve (presumably the animals don't know where the boundaries are), not pose a threat to the native ecosystem? I've been a shooter since age 9, so Ive got nothing against responsible hunting, but I don't get how this is being considered (unless the animals are neutered before release....)?

From a Queensland Guinea fowl site:

Guinea fowl are a popular and purpose serving fowl.... they are great for keep down pests like Ticks, Fleas, Grasshoppers beetles, ECT... and won’t hesitate to attack and kill any type of Snake.

...many people make the mistake of not feeding them once they are free roaming and then complain when they end up 3 km down the road. Wild Guinea Fowl are a rising Problem and some Government department like the D.P.I & Parks & Wildlife are aware of this and have destroyed some wild colonies, if the problem keep growing then it is possible they may introduce restrictions or even ban them.....

If the Guinea Fowl breeders acknowledge they can become a pest, why would you set up legislation that allows for their release in NSW? The Bill has no penalties for escape of birds. so if a Game Reserve is next to a National park, the taxpayer and the environment will be the losers won't they?

that offer this type of hunting they are very sucessful and dont pose a thret to the native eco systems
I think the only wild pheasants are on King Island. Admittedly, it would take a lot to get them established with foxes and cats around - but there are programs spending money to reduce these species.

All these birds can fly though....... which means no matter whether they are on private land or not they can easily escape. Im sure them being shot at will make them fly even further!!!! lol

so with this in mind, how would they not pose a threat to our natural ecosystems?

I think the only wild pheasants are on King Island. Admittedly, it would take a lot to get them established with foxes and cats around - but there are programs spending money to reduce these species.

Look at the UK. there are hundreds of pheasants, partridge, quail etc living in the wild, with ALOT of foxes around. You drive along the motorways and they are on the side of the roads etc.

Look at the UK. there are hundreds of pheasants, partridge, quail etc living in the wild, with ALOT of foxes around. You drive along the motorways and they are on the side of the roads etc.

D'oh, of course.

Wait, natural wildlife? It's not a matter of natural wildlife being a pest, it's people want the land for cows and kangaroos are 'stealing' grass.

Survival of the fittest, we can't help but fight it.

after canetoads and deer you think the government will know better to bad they only think of what they can tax.

i am a shooter and r licence holder (which means i can shoot ferals in state forests in nsw) and i would relish the opportunity to knock off the goats and such i often see in national parks, but introducing ferals, albeit in a "reserve", is clearly dumb, and letting shooters into national parks is just going to cause more problems than it would ever be worth.

Jack,

I've spoken to a couple of hunters about the Bill, and so far, none knew about the "Schedule 3" animals that can be released in a Game Reserve. the whole bill has come up very quickly, with little time for discussion.

Issue over - for now

The NSW Parliament broke for winter without any resolution of this issue. The main publicity was about National Park access. My concern was the feral animals that would result from "Schedule 3". Hopefully that section will be rethought before it comes back to the Parliament.

As far as I know all the birds listed such as pheasants, partridge, guinea fowl have been legal and commmonly owned in NSW for decades or longer. I have never heard of any living and breeding in the wild before. I have a neighbour who has had all his guinea fowl killed a couple of times by foxes, and has to keep buying more. As these are not new species to Australia I think it is a beatup by groups who are fighting for some media coverage. I think these species are released on game reserves in Victoria where they are legal. Until one of these groups shows they have established and bred there I will not believe their propoganda.

i am a shooter and r licence holder (which means i can shoot ferals in state forests in nsw) and i would relish the opportunity to knock off the goats and such i often see in national parks, but introducing ferals, albeit in a "reserve", is clearly dumb, and letting shooters into national parks is just going to cause more problems than it would ever be worth.

I have my R license too and support the shooters party bill.
I do not agree with your last comment about letting shooters into national parks is just going to cause more problems than it would ever be worth.

There is a much greater area of national park in NSW than State forest, as Bob Carr in particular made a lot of state forest national park. Many of these area are rarely used and the government does not have the funds to control pests in all of it. The Shooters party bill only changes the category of national parks to public land. This gives the government the opportunity to open areas it sees as suitable, for the hunting of pest animals by R licensed hunters. As there have been no problems after years of State forests being open in the same system, why should national parks be any different.

Actually you will probably find we have more feral species than most other countries and as has been said these species are already here and most have been for some time.

some people are so stupid! we are one of the few countries thats lucky enough not to have many ferals! if anything they should be shooting the pigs and camels and goats and other stuff thats already here and no be putting more into this country!
hope they do something about it!

goodoo, the trouble i am refering to is when shooters and other users of the park cross paths... and as i am sure you will agree, the views of the two toward hunting animals in the park may differ significantly, leading to angry confrontation.... and all it takes is one bushwalking animal libber to claim a rifle was pointed at them and then legal gun owners are even more stuffed then we are now.

additionally, several studies here and abroad show amateur hunting has minimal impact on feral animal populations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back