Sand

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bredli-sli

Reaction score
hey uys im just cleaning some sand i brought a while back,

its for my ridgie's
im putting the sand in an old 1x1ft tank, so i can take it out as i wish,

whats the easyest way to keep it moisure so it doesent colaps on them when digging?

should i block of a part so i can add water and add a heater? so its allways having humitty?
sorry if the dont make any scence

oh its in the oven on 110 C for 2 hours? sound alright?

You should not have wet sand in the enclosure all the time with any Lizard's that come from the dry arid desert areas, they can suffer health issues and you should use pure red desert sand mixed with brickies sand, it will go hard as it dries out under the heat lamp or what ever your using for heat, just wet it slightly and mixed it with some dry sand, them compact it with your hands, so it will set and go hard as it dries out from the heat.

So as not to waste the sand Bredli-sli's got, couldn't u also mix it in with the Brickies Loam/Sandy Loam for the same effect (minus the red look LOL)? Any Landscaping yard will be able to sell u a small amount of brickies loam:)

The good thing about red desert sand is its very fine and looks far more natuall, thats why l recommend red desert sand, but l don't know much about brickies sand with loam mixed in it, just make sure its not to sharp, because they will swallow it when they eat insects or whar ever their being feed at the time.

dont most building sites have that sand? should i just have 1/2 of my sand 1/2 of the brickies sand?

You just call it brickies sand, which is a loamy sand, therefore also called brickies loam. So sorry, same thing. I'd reckon at least 3/4 brickies, 1/4 normal sand in order to get it to hold as u want.

if your willing to look around, i use garnet sand, has the same red as desert sand, also known as sand blast sand , and hardens when wet to the point it's useless to use again for work so i get heaps of it...... and it seems to hold together well after it's been wet and dried... but i've never used it for burrowing lizards... just have a hell of a time breaking it up when the frilly spills water from the bowl over the sand...

if your willing to look around, i use garnet sand, has the same red as desert sand, also known as sand blast sand , and hardens when wet to the point it's useless to use again for work so i get heaps of it...... and it seems to hold together well after it's been wet and dried... but i've never used it for burrowing lizards... just have a hell of a time breaking it up when the frilly spills water from the bowl over the sand...

But does it harden like that if your reptile ingests some?:(

hey uys im just cleaning some sand i brought a while back,

its for my ridgie's
im putting the sand in an old 1x1ft tank, so i can take it out as i wish,

whats the easyest way to keep it moisure so it doesent colaps on them when digging?

should i block of a part so i can add water and add a heater? so its allways having humitty?
sorry if the dont make any scence

Sorry but it would make more sense if you spelt properly.

I know you are young but that is no excuse for so many spelling errors.

**Flame proof suit ON.**

who cares about spelling as long as the point has been gotten across
as u probably dont want to make the whole enclosure diggable!
what might be a better idea is leave about 2 in the whole cage and then add a large box (also used as egg laying box) with the better digging sand. that way u wont have tunnels that might collapse on the every where.

That is what i would do any way :)

As far as baking the brickies loam, totally up to you. Just don't be tempted to wash it thru a sieve as you'll defeat the purpose of it being a loamy sand.:)

But does it harden like that if your reptile ingests some?:(
my bredli and coastal have ingested some that got stuck on a damp rat during feeding from time to time.. i found it passes fine, found out when i soaked my coastal one day and he crapped in the tub, so got to see what passes.... can't say it's pleasent in the least pulling crap outa the bath when its fresh..... the sand is actually fine when its wet, only clumps, hardens and sticks together once it's dried out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back