Albino Research Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile City

Reaction score
I am wanting to know from albino breeders that have kept records.
I only want first party imformation please, not I herd someone got this or that!
My question is, when you have bred an albino with a 100% Het what ratio are people getting in there eggs?
Not what has hatched, but how many albinos to hets are produced.

Also has anyone bred a 100% Het from Albino x Albino pairing?:shock:

I have seen the percentages on charts, eg: Albino x Het = (50% albino & 50%Hets).
We have all seen the charts, but what are the real results?
Also would be interested in knowing results from Darwin’s or Olives.

Thanks for any replies,
Jason

A clutch of darwins last season from an alb male/het female resulted in 75% albinos.

I doubt you would get anything less than 100% albino from alb/alb pairings.

If Colin on here is successful this year with his Alb x Alb he might be able keep us posted.......

A clutch of darwins last season from an alb male/het female resulted in 75% albinos.

I doubt you would get anything less than 100% albino from alb/alb pairings.

Thanks Ramsayi

I was wondering because nature produced 1 albino out of the blue, from I guess 100% normal Darwins. Mayby the opposite has occured.

If there is a genetic malfunction and the body doesn't produce the usual amounts of the pigment melanin thus creating an albino, could two albinos have a genetic malfunction in which more than the usual amount of melanin is produced (for albino's) or would this create a 'paradox'?

albino/het pairing would return 75% as ramsayi said. also albino/albino pairing cant return any hets as there isnt a split gene to carry through

albino/het pairing would return 75% as ramsayi said. also albino/albino pairing cant return any hets as there isnt a split gene to carry through

Isn't het x albino statistically

50% albino and 50% heterozygous?

Thats why Ram's 75% albino was a bit different.

The genes breeding chart I read from, says albino X Het = 50% Albino & 50% Hets?

Is that your thoughts or do you have a source that has studied or proven it?
Can you provide your place of information?
No offence, but some are willing to provide definate answers with no actual real evidence.

Last edited:
Yes statistically its 50/50 and could vary either way.Some clutches might be more or less although over multiple clutches it would most likely work out to be 50/50

sure does mean alot of albino`s will be produced in the next couple of years!

Can you provide clutch sizes?
Only if you feel ok about providing amounts & percentages!
This information will be interesting to see if there is any differance to normal Darwin clutch sizes.

Last edited:
Clutch size / ratio

From Albino Male and 100% Het Female

clutch of 12 eggs, all hatched

9 Albino / 3 100% Het

75% Albino / 25% Het

cheers

Albino male to 100% female
9 eggs laid
5 100% hets
4 albinos
Female 3yrs
Male 4yrs

Cheers
Nick

there is no percentage of hets in a single snake,its either a het or not.

There has also been an albino Darwin produced from an albino to normal mating (form memory it was done by morelia morphs) It had an enlarged heart and died.
That would also mean it is possible to have an albino to normal mating and produce an animal that is not a het. So all of the percentages that are put out there are at best a guide. nature takes its own path.

is this how they work out what percentage hets are? Ive always been confused when people come up with things such as 25% het or 66% het. so it would basically be out of 100 percent, then working out what percentage the albinos take up and then thats what percent the ehts are?
sorry if i sound confusing!

interesting info guys!

thanks!

Luke

No, you can't really work backwards like that.

Normal looking animals from HetxHet matings are classed as 66.67% Hets (This is just a possibility of it being Het).

Het x Normal, would result in a clutch of 50% Hets, and if these are then crossed to a normal again you would have a clutch of 25% Hets.

there will no doubt be a few albinos produced soon from albino to normal pairings as Simon released a lot of possible hets years ago and the gene could have been passed via unknown breeders and the 'normal' is actually a het that the owner is not aware of.......if that makes sense to people?

also the very first albino produced/survived in wild (then collected) was likely the result of a pair of wild hets that met at right time right place. It also explains why there is a possible 2nd albino bloodline out there.

just food for thought

jas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back