Albino Research Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Qu.

do these mutations cause other effects impacting on the life expectancy of the snake. i know its just pigment mutation but is there any other effects on the snakes....

I don't know that most people have had them long enough to know the true lifespan. The original hets from Blondie at SXR are still breeding, so there seems to be no issue there. They do not appear to have any other associations like the overseas jags (which have neurological problems). I've only got one albino and one het, but both act normal, feed brilliantly and grow well. Certainly can't complain!

is this how they work out what percentage hets are? Ive always been confused when people come up with things such as 25% het or 66% het. so it would basically be out of 100 percent, then working out what percentage the albinos take up and then thats what percent the ehts are?
sorry if i sound confusing!

interesting info guys!

thanks!

Luke

hex X het = 25% norm, 25% albino, 50% het. So once albino animals are taken you are left with 75%. 50% of 75% is 66.6'%

Albino male to 100% female
9 eggs laid
5 100% hets
4 albinos
Female 3yrs
Male 4yrs

Cheers
Nick

Thanks Nick!
Great info.
SXR would have some great results to share.
I should PM him.

Theres some good replys, but we need more!
I will put all the info together when there is enough.
If there is some that don’t want there info on Aussie Pythons for all to see you can PM me & I can put it up anonymously.

Thanks Nephrurus, good link!

Very interesting Jas!
I will have to chat with Mark to get more info.

Keep in mind that out of the clutch, you won't necessarily get 50% or 75% of the hatchies being het or albino (or whatever) - EACH HATCHLING has that chance of being het or albino (or whatever). The statistics start from scratch for every genetic combination. Just like you have a 50% chance of having a girl for every pregnancy, but if you have a daughter you aren't more likely to have a son the next time...

I think there was a thread on here a few months ago where a member produced an albino hatchling for an albino X normal pairing.

sorry 50/75 is 66.6' % my bad.
25% albino
25% normal
50% het
so 1 in 4 shows albino colouring..
the other 3 look normal but 2 will be hets..
therefore 2 in 3 being 66%
hence you have 66% chance of being a het.

There has also been an albino Darwin produced from an albino to normal mating...

Spontaneous albinism is a very unlikely explanation for this event. More likely that the normal looking parent was het for some form of albinism.

25% albino
25% normal
50% het
so 1 in 4 shows albino colouring..
the other 3 look normal but 2 will be hets..
therefore 2 in 3 being 66%
hence you have 66% chance of being a het.

is 50 to 75 not 2 to 3? Ratio of 25....

Spontaneous albinism is a very unlikely explanation for this event. More likely that the normal looking parent was het for some form of albinism.

This was the only time it happened. So it is a het that will only produce one albino. Not good odds for the het owners.

I think from memory it was more likely some form of chromosone duplication, which is likely why the snake was sick and died some time afterwards. That's if I'm thinking of the same snake.

From my biology at school a little while ago I'll try and explain it another way.

Albino colours come from a recessive gene, meaning that if a dominant gene is present, normal colours will show. A normal colour can occur with 1 or 2 dominant gene's. A recessive gene must have 2 genes to show its trait. (Hope this makes sense?)

We'll say
A = Dominant Gene for Colouring
a = recessive gene that produces albino colouring.
AA = Normal, aa = Albino and Aa = Het

So a normal (AA) snake mates with a normal (AA) snake
x A | A
A AA | AA
A AA | AA
Produceing 100% Normal AA snakes (100% normal colouring)

So a normal (AA) snake mates with an albinol (aa) snake
x A | A
a Aa | Aa
a Aa | Aa
Producing 100% AaHets (100% normal colouring)

So an albino (aa) snake mates with an albinol (aa) snake
x a | a
a aa | aa
a aa | aa
Producing 100% Albino

So an albino (aa) snake mates with a Het (Aa) snake
x a | a
A Aa | Aa
a aa | aa
Producing 50% Albino aa and 50% Aa Het (50% normal colouring)

So a Het (Aa) snake mates with a Het (Aa) snake
x A | a
A AA | Aa
a Aa | aa
Producing 25% Normal AA, 50% Het Aa, 25% Albino aa (75% normal colouring)

But this is all statistical. There's nothing stopping one lot of eggs being all albino when there's only a 25% chance. Just like you've a 50/50 chance of heads when tossing a coin but getting 20 heads in a row. Over and extended period of time, the results will eventually even out to what they should be.....

Also, not taking into account random mutation of genes.

Gees I hope this makes some sense without explaining too much about genetics. (And that I'm correct for that matter lol)

Shmacky

Last edited:
Top stuff Shmacky!

Youve put up a great chart for all to see that is more explainable then others I have seen.
From what my understanding is, you are spot on.

Good work!

Gees I hope this makes some sense without explaining too much about genetics. (And that I'm correct for that matter lol)
Good job Schmacky! The high school biology teacher gives you full marks for your Punnet squares and understanding of dominant and recessive. Given the extremely unlikely chance of another mutation leading to albinism, these ratios hold true. The more replications (the more clutches in our case), the closer you will get to the theoretical ratio. In a single clutch, you have a small sample size and results may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back