Is my Python sound sensitive?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seksyjinke

Reaction score
I got my very first snake today..

its a 7mth old spotted python and already it has bitten me twice and scared the living day light outa me >.<

im very very scared to touch him/her again...

What i would like to ask is... are snakes sound sensitive? i ask is i play alot of music in my room and i dont want my first snake to be stressing out because theres sound in my room..

thank you

P.S. how do i overcome the fear of been bitten, i know it doesnt hurt much.. but damn its scary.... >.< esp for a first snake

Just as long as there isn't ALOT of bass it SHOULD be ok. Keep handeling it and the fear of getting bitten will go away

Don't have the music up too loud. It will stress a snake that isn't used to it.

Hook your snake out carefully and slowly and let it get used to being on the hook. In time you can place it onto your hand and allow it to explore you.

Sound Not so much, but vibration yes. So if there is alot of vibration from the music then that may stress it

i think the reason why its bit me is because i dont have a hook....
the seller told me you can pick it up by hand.. until you find a clothes line as its small and they dont sell big ones...

will buy one asap...and bend it into a hook.

so.. when u hook it, it doesnt bite???

Not all snakes need hooks

By the way i just picked up a little stimsons python (6mths old) ( My First ) and i can shove my hand in its enclosure and pick it out with no worries at all. Does it strike when you're moving around or just randomly when you're holding. Try not to squeeze it or make any sudden movements around it as this may spook it and then make it feel vulnerable. I would try to free handle it more but if it is bitey i gues u dont have much choice

well i have a coastal which i dont use a hook on its abit over a metre and wont bite me or anything and then i have a water python which i use the hook for, but will still bite me like crazy anyway not to much to worry about though

i dont know.. i havent really got to properly handle him/her yet... took it out with when it was on a branch and put my hand under it.. then BAM!!...

i put him/her back in the box and tried it again 15min later...

it was trying to get away from me... sort've then curled its neck back.. while i was putting it back in the box, BAM bit me again... it was scary!!! haha....

total handlign time... aproximately 3 seconds

I wouldnt bother trying to handle it at the moment,as this is your first snake,i would leave alone somewhere quiet,dont disturb unless cleaning out tub or changing water,give him-her atleast 2 weeks of getting used to its new enviroment.After that time i would concentrate on getting him-her to feed on a regular basis,then worry about handling.Just remember snakes DONT like to be handled,they tolerate it.Once its time to start handling as others suggested,use a coat-hanger and gentley pull him-her out,dont make any sudden movements etc.Let the snake slither over your hands,arms.Best of luck and i hope all ends well....

thank you for the tips...

is it ok if i put him next to me... about half a metre away from me on my working desk, next to a window that gets curtained??? the sun do rise at the window though....heres a picture to show u what i mean.

sorry for the poor quality picture..

as u can see my snake is on the far left corner..

snakebox.jpg

i would just leave it for awhile, especially if u just bought it today. its been moved from the environment its accustomed to and may be a little stressed. maybe dont get it out for a week or so, and make yourslef a hook, not everybody uses them but it may be easier on u and the snake bein a first time owner. i use a hook to get my python out and i have never been bitten... let the snake know that your there instead of just makin a grab for it, put yourself in its position, that always helps put things in perspective!! :) but stick with it, and u will be fine

i dont think i can leave it for a week can i? simon(seller) told me its due for a feeding soon

It will be ok without food for the week, and will probably be more likely to feed for you if you do leave it.

i would try and have the enclosure in a corner of some kind to give at least two of the sides a full screen, where you have it right now it could be knocked off!! or something worse,i would even be putting a cover over the top of the enclosure so as to stop the lights being turned on and off bothering it ".MAKE SURE not to cover air vents" Where it is isnt very good for your snake because its like its out in the open every time it comes out of the two hides you have provided for it ,one hot end, one cold end. Plus isnt it near the speakers and would be feeling the vibration more than if it was safely on a solid shelf ,and it is going to see you moving back and forth all the time which wouldnt let it settle in at all.
In the picture it looks like you have a heat matt under the hole tub? the picture is pritty bad so forgive me if im wrong but you are to heat only a third of the bottom of the tub at the most ,i go for about 25% :| If the snake was mine i would addapt something ie a piece of furniture or shelf that i could place the tub on securely on so it couldnt be knocked off out of the way of busy traffic "that includes you! out of anychance of sunlight ie accidently leaving curtains open put a top on enclosure if the structure didnt provide the tub with a little cover you could do this just with a piece of cardboard and then check it has water try and feed once ,once only if she takes it cool if not leave the animal alone for around 10 days and just do visual checks without opening the tub unless there is a reason ie water runs out snake is dead, tangled ect

Leave it for a week in the most traffic free area, provide multiple hides, then offer food.

Just don't play it any Michael Jackson and it should be fine.

Hope Simon says when (sorry couldn't help myself):D
Yeh you can leave it for a week if you want, still feed it just don't handle it unless you need to (for cleaning).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back