Juvenile Olive Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilian66

Banned
Reaction score
Here you can see my 7 month old male juvenile Darwin locality Olive Python, stretched out on the tree branch, and enjoying the warmth and UV in his enclosure, the juvenile female still has not eating yet, (Jeremy Wright) who breed my 2 juvenile Olive Python's, inform me that he feed her Quails, and she wont eat adult mice at all, so l will have to get some quails and feed her them, and coax her into eating adult mice or fussy rats.

Last edited:
The are such gentle giants,nice photos Reptillian66,i was hoping a friend of mine breed her pair this season so i can get a hatchie,I might have to wait til next season or buy one from someone else.I love bigger pythons hence why i want a Olive.

Thats a nice looking Olive you have there.It was almost de ja vu as i have a spare enclosure with the same laminex lining it.Speaking of enclosures you really should invest in some cages for those lights before something horrible happens to that Olive of yours.

The are such gentle giants,nice photos Reptillian66,i was hoping a friend of mine breed her pair this season so i can get a hatchie,I might have to wait til next season or buy one from someone else.I love bigger pythons hence why i want a Olive.
Python73, lf you really like large Python's, why don't you get a juvenile Olive Python like l have and watch it grow from being small to being large, yoo should email (Jeremy Wright) and see if you can get a pair from him, he's ads are listed on either Petlink or RDU-AHC.

Olive Python's are so placid to have as a pet Python, and l agree with you in regards to them being such a gentle giant, thats why l got another 2 after l passed on my 2 large adult Olive Python's to a breeder in Sydney.

Thats a nice looking Olive you have there.It was almost de ja vu as i have a spare enclosure with the same laminex lining it.Speaking of enclosures you really should invest in some cages for those lights before something horrible happens to that Olive of yours.

Troyster, thanks for letting me know l have a nice lloking juvenile Olive Python, and l will look into getting some wire cages for the UV Tube, so they don't curl up around the Uv Tube and force it out of the batton holder, then shatter all over the floor of their enclosure.

Thanks guys for the good feed back on my Olive Python's and what l should do to protect them from the Lights and UV Tube.:p

Can anybody tell me the diference of the two? olives beside the locality?
reason i say two is because in "keeping and breeding austrlian python" only lists 2 different olives.
Does one grow enormous while the other is smaller??
lol fill me in on olives haha

l have been looking at the wire cages for lights and batton holders, that are available from the Herp Shop website, it seem like they wont be ideal for my batton holder and light fittings attached to the roof of my enclosure that l keep the 2 juvenile Olive Python's in.

The reason why is because the wire cages do not have a small opening where the power lead that supplies power, to the batton holder and light fitting can go through, instead they are design for the power leads to come down through the roof of the enclosure into the light fittings and batton holder.

lf you look at this photo you can see how all the light fittings and batton holder have a power lead, that is connected to each of them from inside the enclosure instead of coming down through the roof to each of them.

So it looks like l wont be able to get any wire cages to cover my light fittings and batton holder, These 2 enclosures were both built in mid 1997 and not one snake as ever copped any burns from the light fittings or UV tubes, the reason why is before l turn any of them on, l make sure that none of the Python's are anywhere near the UV Tube and Light Globes, l have notice that once they all have been on for a while, the Python's never ever go near or get to close to them, cause they can sence the heat coming from them with their heat sensitive pits on each side of their lower jaw.:).

Last edited:
nice looking pythons u got there. gotta luv olives. will get some one day.

you could use a dremel to create a slot for your cable to pass through.

Can anybody tell me the diference of the two? olives beside the locality?
reason i say two is because in "keeping and breeding austrlian python" only lists 2 different olives.
Does one grow enormous while the other is smaller??
lol fill me in on olives haha
Licky,yes they do differ in size and color depending on where they come from natually in the wild, the Olive's that are found in Weipa & Mount Isa Northwest Queensland, don't grow as big as the Olive's that are found throughout Northern Territory and Kimberley Region, and they tend to be alot more pail in color also, where the other found througfhout Northern Territory and the Kimberley Region can be more darker-olivegreen-tanny in color and get much bigger in size, but they still are listed as the same specie which is Liasis Olivaceus Olivaceus, the 2nd one found in Pilbara and Gascoyne Regions Western Australia is LIasis Olivaceus Barroni.

nice looking pythons u got there. gotta luv olives. will get some one day.
Zoocam, thanks for letting me know l have a nice looking Olive Python, l sure do love Olive Python's, they have always been my number one Australian Python, when you are ready to get yourself a Olive Python, if you want one as good looking as my two, keep and eye out for any ads on either Petlink or RDU-AHC from (Jeremy Wright) who is located in Darwin NT Metro, he always has some available cheaper than most other breeders l know of.

you could use a dremel to create a slot for your cable to pass through.
Renagade thanks for letting me know how l could attach the wire cages to the batton holder and light fittings, l did think of what you have mention to me here, and what l'm going to do is contact my best mate, who built all my enclosures for me, and see if he could do what you have surjested here.

Here is a few photos l thought l would share, of my 2 large Olive Python's that are now being look after by another keeper in Sydney NSW, and l hope they have more luck in breeding them both.
l sure miss not having them both here with me, and l know they will not get to roam around freely like they both did here at my place which is sad.

Last edited:
Hi Reptillian66,i plan on getting a baby Olive,i was hoping my friend breed hers this season,but at the moment i might have to wait til next year,or i shall buy one.I love seeing those pictures of your old pair,such gentle giants.

i gotta say, out of all the threads i get more enjoyement looking at ur 2 adult olives u had then any other snake out there. they are absolute beautys. and cheers for teh info on jeremy wright. will look into that this season.

how big r they[/QUOTE
Taylor111,My 2 large Olive Python's, Male 9 foot long - female 12 foot long, that how big they both are now.

i gotta say, out of all the threads i get more enjoyement looking at ur 2 adult olives u had then any other snake out there. they are absolute beautys. and cheers for teh info on jeremy wright. will look into that this season.

Zoocam, its good to see that you really enjoy looking at my 2 large Olive Python's, that are both now in Sydney with another breeder, and l hope he has better luck in getting them to both breed than l ever did.
lf you really want to get a juvenile Olive Python from (Jeremy Wright) don't leave it too long, or they could be sold before you know it, l am going to get another female from him, the female l got week and half ago still has not feed, l tried her again this morning on another adult mouse, but she wont eat it so l have seperated her from the juvenile male Olive Python, and put her in a cage on her own, and left the mouse in there with her, just to see if she will eat it alone, if not l will have to get some small Quails which is what (Jeremy) was feeding her before l got hold of her myself, and see how she goes there, then one day entice her onto adult mice or weaner rats.

Love olives planning on getting one as soon as i can. You didn't have any worries housing togeather?
In your pics they seemed inseperable.
With your young female not eating mice, I have a 3yr old coastal that was only fed quails so to get her to eat rats I tied a small quail to the head of a rat with a small piece of cotton after doing this a few times doing this she know loves em. Worth a try. Must of been hard to part with your adult Olives. Good luck with feeding your female.

Love olives planning on getting one as soon as i can. You didn't have any worries housing togeather?
In your pics they seemed inseperable.
With your young female not eating mice, I have a 3yr old coastal that was only fed quails so to get her to eat rats I tied a small quail to the head of a rat with a small piece of cotton after doing this a few times doing this she know loves em. Worth a try. Must of been hard to part with your adult Olives. Good luck with feeding your female.

Hi NATH71, Yes it was hard and very sad to see my 2 beautiful adult Olive Python's go all of a sudden, but l knew it would be better for them both in the long term for breeding, which l was not having much luck in archieving at all.l didn't have any issues in housing them both together they got along so well together all the time, and the male would follow the female where ever she went as you can see in the photos.

Thanks for the advice on how to get my new juvenile female Olive Python to feed, the only problem l'm having at the moment, is where can l get some QUAILS from local here in Melbourne, l know l can get them from a seller in Southeast Queensland, but its the cost of freight that concerns me in ordering them from interstate.

l'm sure once you get a Olive Python you will sincerely adore having it so much as your pet Python, and will become so attached to it like l have.

Best of luck for when ever you decide to get hold of one mate.

Cheers,Reptilian66.:)

Thanks for the advice on how to get my new juvenile female Olive Python to feed, the only problem l'm having at the moment, is where can l get some QUAILS from local here in Melbourne, l know l can get them from a seller in Southeast Queensland, but its the cost of freight that concerns me in ordering them from interstate.

If you can get some small day old chicks they will take those too ( or Finches ), though the chicks may be to big. I have a small Olive here and she would only eat birds. I got a day old chick and scented a mouse and then put the chick's leg in the mouses mouth and she will eat them like that. Hopefully she will accept rodents soon! :)

Good luck

If you can get some small day old chicks they will take those too ( or Finches ), though the chicks may be to big. I have a small Olive here and she would only eat birds. I got a day old chick and scented a mouse and then put the chick's leg in the mouses mouth and she will eat them like that. Hopefully she will accept rodents soon! :)

Good luck

GSXR_BOY, thanks for letting me know what to feed my juvenile female Olive Python, l will try some chicken legs in the mouth of a adult mouse, and see how she goes with eating it, or l will offer her the head of a chicken or a 1 day old quail, l'm sure she will except these.

lts good to see your juvenile female Olive Python is feeding, and hope she one day breeds for you once she is old enough for breeding.:D

GSXR_BOY, thanks for letting me know what to feed my juvenile female Olive Python, l will try some chicken legs in the mouth of a adult mouse, and see how she goes with eating it, or l will offer her the head of a chicken or a 1 day old quail, l'm sure she will except these.

lts good to see your juvenile female Olive Python is feeding, and hope she one day breeds for you once she is old enough for breeding.:D

No problems mate. I too have also used the head of these animals and have then put a small mouse directly behind as it is taking the last of the head into its mouth in the hope that it gets a taste for rodents. Fun and games! :)

She will probably eat me out of house and home one day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back