Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grannieannie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Here in WA there are several snakes we're not allowed to have....Murray Darlings and Childrens just to name two. Are there any snakes in other states you aren't allowed to have ???? Non ven ones I mean.

If its native and you can get one from a legal source you can have it in NSW. Basically.

ok,WHY are there restrictions in different states as to what u can/cannot have???

some reps not found in some states?? worries bout escapees into native area???

in vic the only herp you cant have that i know of are anthill pythons and rough scaled pythons (yet it will happen)

Oenpelli Pythons are basically a no go Aust wide....
Hi JasonL, Just wondering mate if you knew the reasoning behind this?
I have seen pics of these guys in a book I have and have always wondered why I haven't seen any for sale etc.

Cheers.

There are heaps of snakes that can't be legally kept in Vic and even more in Tassie.

Hi JasonL, Just wondering mate if you knew the reasoning behind this?
I have seen pics of these guys in a book I have and have always wondered why I haven't seen any for sale etc.

Cheers.

Because they live in a very restricted part of the country and when the various states had their amnesties, non of the criminal herpers had them, a well known herper in Qld had them before the amnesty, he even bred them, but that wasn't good enough for the authorities and they took them off him... So unless the authorities think "hey.. herpers should keep these snakes in private collections" ( I wouldn't wait with baited breath for that) then they won't ever be available... Of course there are probably some kept ilegally somewhere though...

If its native and you can get one from a legal source you can have it in NSW. Basically.

Just on this point, have they recently changed their position on this??

When you read their 2009 species list, in the first paragraph it reads

"If the animal species you want to keep isn’t listed, you generally cannot keep it, although the department might consider requests to keep
unlisted species of reptile, bird or amphibian. If you are applying for a licence for an unlisted species, you will need to supply details of the species and​
numbers you are proposing to keep, the legal availability of the species and its husbandry requirements in captivity."

or has this always been the case with new taxon as their is a few not on this list that I would love to keep as soon as I find a legal source.

People in WA are hoping to get a reviewed species list....this month I heard, though I don't know if it's happened yet. We'd like to have some categories changed as well as different species added. Of course the changes may not be what people are hoping for. Personally I have a Stimmie and that's all I want, but it would be nice for others who want to increase or vary their collections.

Here in Victoria we are not permited to keep on Licence any of these Snakes,(Pygmy Python, Rough-Scaled Python, Oenpelli Rock Python, Arafura File Snake, Little File Snake.

These are all non-venomous Snakes.

there are countless lizards not avaible to be kept in vic also, reviews are undertaken from time to time, but i would assume it would take careful consideration and action from lobby groups to have any of them included

Here in Victoria we are not permited to keep on Licence any of these Snakes,(Pygmy Python, Rough-Scaled Python, Oenpelli Rock Python, Arafura File Snake, Little File Snake.

These are all non-venomous Snakes.

thats just some of the ones we can't keep... it's the same for the Yellow Spotted Monitor and Kimberly Rock Monitor as well to name a few more that can't be kept in vic, but this is under review atm apparently

thats just some of the ones we can't keep... it's the same for the Yellow Spotted Monitor and Kimberly Rock Monitor as well to name a few more that can't be kept in vic, but this is under review atm apparently

ReptilianGuy, l'm sure there are a number of Gecko's-Dragon's-Monitor's-Skink's-Elapid's-Colubrid's-Turtle's-Legless Lizard's, that we also cannot keep on Licence here in Victoria, and some will most likely never ever be added to our Licensing system here in Victoria.

No matter how hard we try and get them on Licence, and l hope the Perentie and Penoptes Monitor's never ever make it onto our Licensing System, because of their large size and husbandry needs and aggressive nature.:)

If someone can handle the size, nature and requirements of an animal why should the not be allowed to keep it.
Provided they can legally aquire it.

If someone can handle the size, nature and requirements of an animal why should the not be allowed to keep it.
Provided they can legally aquire it.

Kensai, Large Monitor's such as Perentie's and Penopte's need a very large enclosure and high temperature basking spot to survive and exercise in, and l don't think keeping them here in Melbourne is the right area, tell me how many could afford to build a very large enclosure to maintain them in captivity, and not many have to spce to do it either.

The other reason why l don't think Varanus Penoptes will ever be added to the Victorian Licensing System, is because they are now under threat in the wild across the top end of Northern Territory from the Cane Toad envasion, so where are you going to get them from on licence.Over in WA where their more common in the wild, you are not allowed to take them from the wild or keep them on licence at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back