Great Solar Advantages

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomTyrrel

Reaction score
Investing in solar energy is today a wise thing to do, considering the soaring fossil fuel prices and its shrinking supply. There has been a shift towards alternate sources of energy. Now the world is looking towards renewable sources of energy to compensate for its fuel demand.
The advancement in the technologies in renewable energy sources have also led to this shift. These technological advancements have made the alternate sources cheaper. In 1980 the cost of harvesting energy from the sun stood at about $100 per watt, which was almost a hundred times more expensive than the going rate of electricity. By 1999 however, technology reduced this to about $4 per watt and costs have continued to decline by about 5% per year since.

The rising ROI has made solar energy a wise option for many. Electricity generation is one of the key advantages of solar energy. An efficiently solar powered home will be able to reasonably create between 75 and 100% of their own power and because of the grid tie system this means you may not have to pay for electricity ever again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes absolutely, once you recoup the $20-30,000 needed to make a home totally self sufficient as far as electricity goes it would be free and would only take maybe 20 years.

Tell me, are they still making the solar cells from heavy metals which are strip mined? Also if they are still using heavy metals what do you do with dead solar cells in 20 years, the energy may be more environmentally friendly but what about the process to make it and the clean up afterwards?

Tell me, are they still making the solar cells from heavy metals which are strip mined? Also if they are still using heavy metals what do you do with dead solar cells in 20 years, the energy may be more environmentally friendly but what about the process to make it and the clean up afterwards?

Maybe you should watch this Catalyst (in fact all)

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/tv/geo/catalyst/catalyst_2009_ep11.mp4

or

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/tv/geo/catalyst/catalyst_2009_ep11.wmv

(can choose the first for mp4 or the second for wmv)

It's got an article about solar cells being printed on something as thin as a dollar bill :)

ok, so what about current solar cells in use today? Polymer cells are still in development phase as are ceramic cells. What about the units sold to us today?

ok, so what about current solar cells in use today? Polymer cells are still in development phase as are ceramic cells. What about the units sold to us today?

Not as bad as the mined coal we're using now - but still with some issues - but the issues are minor in comparison to coal, uranium and even hydro.

If you did environmental cost effectiveness - wind and wave (or water turbines in pre-existing rivers) win hands down :)

Is this spam?:shock:
And We are currently researching solar. We accepted a quote for a hot water system from a major brand then the salesman disappeared. No money has changed hands. We will start prodding the company soon but we got a very nasty letter from the council re the pool fence so that has to be attended to first
As for the $20,000 try here for an online quote Clear Solar - Solar Power Solutions

I want a nuclear powered house :) ....just to stick it up the greenies :lol:

Not sure about the greenies, but maybe your gonads.... :)

Careful... a good dose of gamma makes you go green when you're angry... I've seen a documentary on it - called incredible something... but it was incredible....

there's a lot of thermal solar plants poping up. Worley parsons are looking at setting them up in australia... Thermal solar panels heat a strip of oil.. it actually keeps producing electricity after the sun has gone down.......

Not as bad as the mined coal we're using now - but still with some issues - but the issues are minor in comparison to coal, uranium and even hydro.

If you did environmental cost effectiveness - wind and wave (or water turbines in pre-existing rivers) win hands down :)

Have to agree with slimy here. Especially considering the effective 'life span' of such turbines, they can be decomissioned and re-built using the same materials just with more efficient mechanics every 15 years at a minimum!

However, do disagree with you on the point of tidal turbines in exsiting rivers being enviro-friendly. These can cause serious detriment to long-shore drift of sediments which will ultimately just rip the guts out of the coastal drift's deposition points, buh-bye mangroves and coastal protection, hello cyclonic storm cells washing away the dunes :(

It's all a lesser of two evils these days, people just need to understand every element of each individual issue. It's just a shame that so few understand the critical interconnected nature of all environmental management cases. Read well and widely, and maybe in 30 years we might understand everything, by which time it will all be 30years out of date and we have to start all over again!

Just like to point out here that i am pro aeolian power! :D

I work for a solar hot water company and Id have to say that heating your water from the sun is hands down the most efficient and most renewable method of heating water.
If you have a 315 litre electric off peak hot water service, you will be spending between $300 and $500 per annum and producing 3-4 tonnes of greenhouse gas.
Whereas if you replace it with an electric boosted solar hot water service you will cut your water heating costs between 60 and 80% and reduce your carbon footprint by about 2.5 to 3 tonnes!!
So with the government offering HUGE rebates and carbon credit discounts, you can get a solar hot water system fully installed for as little as $600!!!!! Thats a huge saving considering the units retail for approximately $3500!!!
IF YOU LIVE IN VICTORIA AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE INFO. PLEASE PM ME!!!

I work for a solar hot water company and Id have to say that heating your water from the sun is hands down the most efficient and most renewable method of heating water.
If you have a 315 litre electric off peak hot water service, you will be spending between $300 and $500 per annum and producing 3-4 tonnes of greenhouse gas.
Whereas if you replace it with an electric boosted solar hot water service you will cut your water heating costs between 60 and 80% and reduce your carbon footprint by about 2.5 to 3 tonnes!!
So with the government offering HUGE rebates and carbon credit discounts, you can get a solar hot water system fully installed for as little as $600!!!!! Thats a huge saving considering the units retail for approximately $3500!!!
IF YOU LIVE IN VICTORIA AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE INFO. PLEASE PM ME!!!

What would you know you Hoon, your just reading from the sales brochure:D:p
P.s. can you come over and do my tap washers please, i cant do em....

What would you know you Hoon, your just reading from the sales brochure:D:p
P.s. can you come over and do my tap washers please, i cant do em....

Hahaha!! Insult me then ask for me to change your tap washers???
You got good form McCrae.....Give me a buzz and ill pop over and change em...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back