perspex Vs glass

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

also76

Reaction score
hey guys, hadnt ever really thought of using perspex for a tank but the more i do think about it the better it sounds.

just wondering if anyone has used it and has any input ?

thanks.

i used perspex as its cheaper then glass, there isnt much chance of it breaking and its easy to use.

but, however, it does scratch easier then glass.

i think, if money is an issue, or itss going to be in a high traffic area then go perspex.... if not, go glass.

Perspex scratches very easily, but is lighter and stronger than glass

If you have lizards/varanids I would probably avoid perspex. It will scratch too easily. I currently have it on one of my snake cages and have had no scratching. Its also cheap to replace if it does end up having a lot of scratches on it.

With perspex you gotta be careful cos it can flex too much and a python could easily escape through the gap where the two pieces overlap

Perspex in sliding doors is not the best option as it will flex in the middle as Hoon said .

Perspex is often more expensive that glass any way .

I use perspex as a preference.... it has superior thermal properties. As with all plastics there is a wide variety of different grades and qualities, so various compositions are more prone to scratch than others, if you rock up to buy the cheapest poly sheets they sell, then you will get what you pay for.

I use perspex as a preference.... it has superior thermal properties. As with all plastics there is a wide variety of different grades and qualities, so various compositions are more prone to scratch than others, if you rock up to buy the cheapest poly sheets they sell, then you will get what you pay for.

I would agree with that , i have some acrylic pieces in my tv unit ( removed glass for safety with the kids ) and it has handle the abuse a couple of kids can throw at it well ....

Also steer clear of "windex" with some acrylic/perspex it can make it go milky .

people often mistake this acrylic stuff for perspex.

the acrylic stuff is like 60 bucks for a standard sheet, where as perspex is 20 odd.

perspex has a paper covering, so people often look past it and miss it

the acrylic stuff is like 60 bucks for a standard sheet, where as perspex is 20 odd.

Perspex is acrylic Perspex just being a brand name.I have used acrylic for years and so far it has held up very well.

Acrylic also has a paper covering .

I use clear acrylic/ perspex primarily because its free for me. As ramsayii states they are the same thing. There are numerous brands and perspex has become the generic.
Good things are it can be drilled, edges can be polished and it can be glued. It can be heat bent.
Downside is it marks easily and translucence diminishes over a long period. The better the quality the longer it lasts. I have had sheets standing in the backyard for years and they are still good.
If you have a problem with it flexing then it is to thin. I use mainly 10 or 12 mm Uv resistant.

Here i can get glass sliding doors cut for 10 dollars each. So i get glass because i think its more beneficial and not really that expensive.

Where do you guys recommend getting you glass from, i went down to my local glazer and it cost me $110 for the glass in my 6x2x2

Here i can get glass sliding doors cut for 10 dollars each. So i get glass because i think its more beneficial and not really that expensive.

I`m from Newie too, where do you get your glass from? I`m planning on building some enclosures and will need some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back