Heat Mat Problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GraftonChic

Reaction score
I have a heat mat 14w, and I have it on paper and paper over the top of it. Today it burnt a hole through the paper and started on my click clack. I was advised when I first bought it, I didnt need a thermostat as it was only a low wattage mat. Does everyone else put theirs on newspaper? Any suggestions to prevent this happening again? Thanks

With a click clack you should put it underneath and slightly raised. I dont use any stronger than 10w mat...more than warm enough.

I use a 20W heat mat, but its the green aussie sun one from herp shop and it works fine, cause I think the green cover helps somewhat.

you definately need to kepp a gap between the heat mat and the enclosure, as far as paper goes and as you have demonstrated it is flammable so dont even go there

i had the same problem it was a heat mat that was designed to stick to the bottom of the enclosure and there were legs on each corner to keep it raised from the ground and it still managed to burn a hole in my click clack... I only use heat cords now.

It was underneath, and I had it between paper. So how do you get the heat from the heat mat to the click clack if its raised up? Also how do you raise the click clack? I have 2 click clacks on 1 heat mat. Also what wattage globe would be needed to heat a 4ft enclosure one end for a coastal?

It was underneath, and I had it between paper. So how do you get the heat from the heat mat to the click clack if its raised up? Also how do you raise the click clack? I have 2 click clacks on 1 heat mat. Also what wattage globe would be needed to heat a 4ft enclosure one end for a coastal?
Anything that gives off heat, needs airflow. I f you cover it with paper, and put click clack straight on top, wheres the airflow, you've created a fire hazard! Choc the corners up 10 mil and you wont have a problem with a a decent heat mat. Depending on ventilation I would use 60 - 75w bulb for the coastal.

:lol:i reccomend buying a timer from crazy clarks $2. cant get em at silly sollys.

I use a 20W heat mat, but its the green aussie sun one from herp shop and it works fine, cause I think the green cover helps somewhat.

be careful, i had the same one as you melt and cut power to my whole house last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back