Snake twitch?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Razon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys...well i woke up with some good news and found my snake had shed....but he was hiding in the rock most the morning apart from when i fed him 3 pinkie/fuzzys....but now hes out and about and ive noticed when he was slithering about he was twitching in certain areas of his body???? *** lol wat is that ??

I just put up a recent post asking about my diamond drinking excessive amounts of water by got no response.
Does your snake have access to water at all times? Dehydration is usually one's first thought when a snake guzzles water like that. But sounds unusual for one who has access to plenty of water. Mine had a half wine barrel full of water in her aviary but I don't know if I ever saw her drinking. She was always near the water so I can only presume she was.

Don't mean to alarm you but if she has access to water, and still drinking like that, get it checked with a reptile-knowledgable vet. It could be nothing wrong with your snake, more like I am feeling paranoid and down because my snake died :( . Don't think it was the water that did it, more like it was a symptom of something else going wrong. She is currently being autopsied to find out what killed her. Only a vet can give you peace of mind you're looking for.

3 minutes is probably nothing, she could have some retained shed she still wants to get off so just check her over for that. But my snake didn't stop drinking. Day before she died (2 days ago) I first noticed how much she was drinking. I timed her, she spent well over 30mins, almost an hour with her head in the water and I could see her "cheeks" going that she was drinking, not just sitting there.

As for the twitching, sorry can't help there.

Last edited:
I just put up a recent post asking about my diamond drinking excessive amounts of water by got no response.
Does your snake have access to water at all times? Dehydration is usually one's first thought when a snake guzzles water like that. But sounds unusual for one who has access to plenty of water. Mine had a half wine barrel full of water in her aviary but I don't know if I ever saw her drinking. She was always near the water so I can only presume she was.

Don't mean to alarm you but if she has access to water, and still drinking like that, get it checked with a reptile-knowledgable vet. It could be nothing wrong with your snake, more like I am feeling paranoid and down because my snake died :( . Don't think it was the water that did it, more like it was a symptom of something else going wrong. She is currently being autopsied to find out what killed her. Only a vet can give you peace of mind you're looking for.

3 minutes is probably nothing, she could have some retained shed she still wants to get off so just check her over for that. But my snake didn't stop drinking. Day before she died (2 days ago) I first noticed how much she was drinking. I timed her, she spent well over 30mins, almost an hour with her head in the water and I could see her "cheeks" going that she was drinking, not just sitting there.

As for the twitching, sorry can't help there.

hey sorry to hear about your snake....yeah my guy has had water access all day i even noticed he used ALOT of water to get his shed off haha...enclosure was drenched.

Oh yep, could be just a shedding thing with your fellow. He probably didn't move much while he was coming up to the shed, and just decided it is thirsty work. HAHA, know the feeling about the enclosures getting wet.

I gather we are talking about Diablo? I can only presume elapids are similar to pythons in their habits and shedding.

Oh yep, could be just a shedding thing with your fellow. He probably didn't move much while he was coming up to the shed, and just decided it is thirsty work. HAHA, know the feeling about the enclosures getting wet.

I gather we are talking about Diablo? I can only presume elapids are similar to pythons in their habits and shedding.

yeah diablo :D hes so much brighter in colour than in my original picture..im surprised haha his tiger stripes are amazing in certain lights... but this twitch he had have you ever heard of it?? it looked like it coulda felt nice for him or something haha..i dunno sorta vibrated up and down his gut/tail

Looking good them, probably he was iritated by the shed and is twitching because of that, as for the excessive amount of water drinking, its not really that ecessive hes probably just worn out...

my coastal used to submerge herself completely in her bowl for 2 days while shedding. no need to worry

The twitching not too sure about, but could be just trying to work down the food? It's not unusual for a snake to drink for a couple of minutes as they don't really drink everyday so they take a big drink to last them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back