perspex Vs glass

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use clear acrylic/ perspex primarily because its free for me. As ramsayii states they are the same thing. There are numerous brands and perspex has become the generic.
Good things are it can be drilled, edges can be polished and it can be glued. It can be heat bent.
Downside is it marks easily and translucence diminishes over a long period. The better the quality the longer it lasts. I have had sheets standing in the backyard for years and they are still good.
If you have a problem with it flexing then it is to thin. I use mainly 10 or 12 mm Uv resistant.

Great tip on the UV resistant, I guess this helps with clarity over a long period of time.

Here i can get glass sliding doors cut for 10 dollars each. So i get glass because i think its more beneficial and not really that expensive.

Aluminium framed doors and windows can be great for enclosures but remember the size you get is the size you have to build as they cant be cut down.

i used perspex as its cheaper then glass, .......

Where are you getting if from? In our area, perspex is dearer than glass.

I have one enclosure with perspex front. I doesn't look too bad but just gotta be careful not to use course sponges as it leaves smeary looking scratches behind. So no scoury sponges.

The price of glass varies a lot so it is worth shopping around. For some of my enclosures I have had quotes ranging from $12 to $40 odd for the same pane.

I would always used glass as it wears an ages better than perspex.

I`m from Newie too, where do you get your glass from? I`m planning on building some enclosures and will need some.
I got the first doors cut at carrington glass, but the doors were $25 each. But now i get them cut at all about fish. Im a regular so i get discounts etc.. For 40 dollars i got 4 doors done last time.

Aluminium framed doors and windows can be great for enclosures but remember the size you get is the size you have to build as they cant be cut down.
There not aluminium framed, I got them cut to the size i needed them and they are fitted into glass door sliding tracks.

Has anyone tried using polycarbonate? We now use it at work in electrical cabinets as it's easier to cut and drill.
Don't know what it costs though.

Per

Has anyone tried using polycarbonate? We now use it at work in electrical cabinets as it's easier to cut and drill.
Don't know what it costs though.

Per

I have just put some on a door to the olive enclosure. I don't know to much yet but it looks good except is a lot more reflective than the perspex.

I got the first doors cut at carrington glass, but the doors were $25 each. But now i get them cut at all about fish. Im a regular so i get discounts etc.. For 40 dollars i got 4 doors done last time.

There not aluminium framed, I got them cut to the size i needed them and they are fitted into glass door sliding tracks.

Hey untouchables, I`d never thought of going there, just automatically thought a glazier would be cheaper

Hey untouchables, I`d never thought of going there, just automatically thought a glazier would be cheaper

yeah thats were i started, but the glazier were really expensive, and took ages..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back