look whos stealing the rodents

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL wat a stunner. we get silly indian minor bird thingies and doves... they love the rat food that gets thrown onto the groound in the pergola.
cheers
mel

re look

in Mt Druitt we get exotic raptors,i was watching a nature documentary in india and i saw similar,theres a tiger and a native chicken and theres an indian myhna in its habitat,i thought that strange because they all live around here,must of come over with boat people,beat that puny goshawk in a fight anyday my currymunchers.

We get Australian Kestrels hunting around our place which are gorgeous. If you stand on the headland with a piece of meat on your palm and call to them, they wil circle lower and lower and take it off your hand without even touching your skin. They are awesome birds!

Nankeens are my favourite raptor - watching them drop, fail, and hover...drop, fail, hover.....then snap. :D

WOW :) thats awsome andy...... all i get are sparrows and bloody miner birds eating the rodent food :(

Indian Miners and Sparrows would be good snake food. There are plenty of plans for miner traps on the internet and cheap to make. That way you could help the environment and native species by removing the indian miners while getting free snake food.

Here is a site with plans

Canberra Indian Myna Action Group Inc.

I would say its probably a brown goshawk. We get a collared sparrowhawk coming around our place that looks for the sparrows. Its appearance very similar to your hawk, but is a little smaller and more 'petite' looking. Beautiful birds.

in Mt Druitt we get exotic raptors,i was watching a nature documentary in india and i saw similar,theres a tiger and a native chicken and theres an indian myhna in its habitat,i thought that strange because they all live around here,must of come over with boat people,beat that puny goshawk in a fight anyday my currymunchers.

You've got tigers in Mt Druit?:?

guys ,it is a great thing having this bird around . the first time i saw it i started off inside watching tv . then i heard this big bang i thought there was someone in the backyard . . so i grabed the baseball bat as fast as i could ran outside to find the bird . so i put the bat down and grabed the camera , so people wouldnt doubt me when i told them what i saw . like the time i saw a cat like creature the size of a great dane coming home from work one night.:lol:
but where i live i do see some good animals and im pretty close to the cbd we always got black cockys heaps of other birds . lacies . stuff like that ...

That is an awsome creature to have set up camp in your backyard.
I would keep it well fed, to keep it around.
Maybe one day it might find a mate and you will have a breeding pair hanging around.

wouldnt you be worried about him bringing some parisites on him. E.g. mites or ticks?

I wouldnt be to worried about parisites, as Im sure all the culled rodents would be frozen before being fed off to his reptiles.

I have 3 of those tawny frogmouths (I think thats what they are called) that camp in a palm tree all day everyday asleep at my place. they look awesome!

Brown Goshawk definitely (just referenced my bird book). aka "Chicken Hawk". Wasn't there a chicken hawk in the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons? He was puny & kept trying to drag Foghorn Leghorn away to be eaten or something. "I say I say, son, what are you trying to do there, boy?" haha

Ok...now it looks like I got one like yours :|.

No rats to eat here but its after the local doves and swooping the neighbour's chookhouse for trapped doves. This hawk is definately bigger than the sparrowhawk (I read that their territories often overlap), and a smart bugger, having learnt to corner spotted turtledoves in the neighbour's chookhouse and freaking out their chooks! :shock: No doubt your bird is a Brown Goshawk. I'm just worried about my little bantam hen now!!
:shock::shock::shock:

hey, thats one way to kill the rogents........ effortlessley............................. heart attacks!!!!! LOL

That is one gorgeous bird........... no wonder you want to keep him/her around! Good luck........... you have been honoured by the presence of a wild thing that chooses to stay close by you! All we have in our big gum out the back are five crows nests, and the reason I won't take our two md's outside!!!!

since the bird that you guys have let me no is a goshawk has stuck around im thinking about calling my rodent set-up GOSHAWK RODENT PRODUCTIONS pretty catchy hey:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back