anti-live feeding poster

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrodarknessanny

Reaction score
hi all i need some help gathering images,
see im making a fact fheet / poster to put up in the shop about the dangers of live feeing,
i need some help with the pictures tho, if you can lend a had that would be good,

i need some grusome high resloution pics of
mouth rot
rodent trumor (festy open wounds)
intestinal paricites worms ect.
anything elce you would concider relavant to this topic,

i already have the info i need its finding good pics thats the hard part,

ok thanks again,

i cant help with the pics but good on u for doing this, so many people do it, alot of people not knowing anything about reps when they buy them from petshops and think that its ok to do it etc

good luck
bump for ya!

The best places for free-to-use images are Wikimedia Commons and Flickr Creative Commons Search.

Adam

tis a good idea, i was one that learnt the hard way, only good scare that was it and was very lucky... it bit my pythons eye but was lucky it only got the cover scale (sorry top of my head cant remember what its called) didn't get anypics and had to use an antibacterial eye cream, all was good and not a scar. but the pics wouldn't have been what your after really, maybe when it was fresh but i was more concerned with getting to the vet... again, i do not recomend live feeding to those that do, one day it will go wrong... also live feeding is illegal so i've been told, if it aint then RSPCA don't like it

If you end up getting something together don't forget to have atleast one person edit it to check for spelling and/or grammatical mistakes. The more professional you make it look the better :)

I remember someone here posted a pic a long while ago of a snake who had sustained some pretty nasty wounds (half the skin missing off his head) because of being fed a live rodent that didn't want to just sit there and get eaten! Good luck in your quest

Just make sure you dont forget the fish, crayfish and shrimp too(many shops still openly sell these for as live food and use and also use them to feed and turtles fish illegally). In short the only time you can legally feed live food is if it will only be eaten if live and is required for the animal to survive (this is extremely rare). Pythons that are often claimed to only eat live food will usually accept fresh killed rodents offered on tongs.

If you are trying to promote empathy for food critters you should use cute pics. Little ducklings, quail chicks, rats that have just opened their eyes etc.

Good

I'd be interested in seeing the finished product. Everyone has good suggestions on this.

Just one point though - Make sure you have written (if possible) approval for any photo's you intend on using. Might save you hassles later on.

It's a good thing you are doing. Some people are ignorant because they don't know any better and some people are ignorant because they are just ignorant.

I'm happy to contribute some prey images. I'm currently working on shots of the following on white -
Pinky Rat (eyes still closed)
Furry Rats (white and very cute)
Adult Rat
Chicks (eyes open & very cute)
Plus I have python shots on white, one could accompany the above images.

Let me know. PM sent.

We had a presentation done at our local herp club by a vet, he had some pretty gruesome pics of some snakes that had been attacked by rodents.

So am I right to assume you only mean feeding live rodents (or cute animals) to snakes, not live insects to lizards? because last time I checked the majority of people feed live insects to lizards without any drama's.

Just make sure you dont forget the fish, crayfish and shrimp too(many shops still openly sell these for as live food and use and also use them to feed and turtles fish illegally).

Illegal to sell feeder fish & yabbies? Not in NSW at least. I often get feeder barbs to give to my native gudgeon, they love em. Not having a go, might be different laws in different states.

However I agree with not live feeding rodents if it's not necessary (I know some animals prefer live), not so much for the moral issues, more to reduce the risk of injury to the snake.

Illegal to sell feeder fish & yabbies? Not in NSW at least. I often get feeder barbs to give to my native gudgeon, they love em. Not having a go, might be different laws in different states.

However I agree with not live feeding rodents if it's not necessary (I know some animals prefer live), not so much for the moral issues, more to reduce the risk of injury to the snake.

Most states only cover vertebrates, qld includes crays and shrimp too, its legal to sell them, just not very many cases where they can be legally fed to anything alive. The only reason i dont feed live food is because it causes more suffering to the food, the risks are hyped up a lot IMO.

I buy live feeder fish on a regular basis to feed my oscars and my turtles . i cant see the issue when it comes to fish or shrimp.

Most states only cover vertebrates, qld includes crays and shrimp too, its legal to sell them, just not very many cases where they can be legally fed to anything alive. The only reason i dont feed live food is because it causes more suffering to the food, the risks are hyped up a lot IMO.

Fair enough, our pet shops actually advertise them as feeder fish, so no probs with legality here. Yeah, you're probably right about the hype over the risk, but I doubt someone with a $4000 GTP would risk that one-in-a-thousand chance of the rat turning around & attacking the snake's head.

thanks for the support guys, still having a hard time getting the pics i want thou,
to cleaing things up alittle im going for the scare tactic hear, like the anti-smoking ads , but for snakes.
so as said before i need images of things like infected open wounds, mouth rot and other injurys associated with rodent bites,

remember my target audiance is the yahoos who think it is "cool" to watch something killing something elce.

heres sum pics i found...

Attachments

• 128491584-L.jpg
    128491584-L.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 89
  • DE488_6247D_mouth_rot.jpg
    DE488_6247D_mouth_rot.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 96
thanks for the support guys, still having a hard time getting the pics i want thou,
to cleaing things up alittle im going for the scare tactic hear, like the anti-smoking ads , but for snakes.
so as said before i need images of things like infected open wounds, mouth rot and other injurys associated with rodent bites,

remember my target audiance is the yahoos who think it is "cool" to watch something killing something elce.

I can see what your trying to do here and that's all good. I feed just about all my animals thawed food, of which there are definitely more pros than cons. I have a couple of animals that will only take live mice and I have no problem with the sacrificial slaying of a few mice here or there. I believe that people have to right to make up their own mind as to what they want to feed. Of course advice on better feed techniques is always best. But using scare tactics is a pretty poor way to get a message across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back