What is this PETA business?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But farming animals creates more environmental damage. For example grain is grown that is fed to cattle. This actually reduces the total amount of food available. That is to say we could feed more people with the grain that we can with the cows who we feed the grain to. With the issue of world hunger and a rising population this is an important consideration.

How does this fit in with the overproduction of produce? Which groups of people are you specifically referring to? Who's going to start recieving more food if we stop eating cattle? Indians? Wait..they already do that. That must be why they don't have any problems with an overwhelming population of starving poor.
And what about the world economy generally? What happens to the communities who survive solely on producing meat in areas where it's not visable to mass produce crops?
It's all nice in theory I suppose, to an extent. Like communism :D

EATING A WELL-PLANNED VEGETARIAN DIET IS MORE HEALTHY THAN EATING A DIET THAT INCLUDES MEAT.

For this statement to be true all meats would have to be harmful in any quantity, i dont believe it for some reason. Excluding parts of a natural human diet just makes it harder to get proper nutrition. Its quite possible to have environmentally friendly integrated argiculture and sustainable wild harvesting to provide both meat, plant and fungus food.

Aussiebluetongue, I think you'll find that you can get anything you can get from meat from vegetables.

B12 is only present in animal products (including dairy) so vegans do need to take B12 supplements and vegetarians need plenty of animal products in the form of dairy and eggs in order to remain healthy. Many nutrients are present in much higher quantities in meat than in vegetables (eg iron) making it easier to meet nutritional requirements with smaller portions of food.

I don't dispute that a healthy vegetarian diet can be achieved with careful planning and good knowledge of nutrition, however a balanced omnivorous diet with plenty of vegetables, wholegrains and lean protein in the form of nuts, fish, red meat and white meat is generally recommended by any nutritionist you visit and is at least equally healthy without resorting to nuritional supplements.

Unhealthy vegetarian diets are extremely common, particularly among adolescent girls. Vegetarianism does not automatically equal healthy! There are also issues associated with too much intake of soy products (a considerable amount of which are genetically modified)

I would love to see the scientific study that shows that "going vego isn't actually healthy" as all the studies into this area that I have read about have shown that removing meat from the diet will make you more healthy.

heres one :D see attached pdf doc

Semi-vegetarians and vegetarians had poorer mental health, with 21–22% reporting depression compared with 15% of non-vegetarians (P , 0.001). Low iron levels and menstrual symptoms were also more common in both vegetarian groups. Vegetarian and semi-vegetarian women were more likely to consult alternative health practitioners and semi-vegetarians reported taking more prescription and non-prescription medications

young women probably prefer being vegetarians because its a good way to diet and keeps the weight off more than all that "we care for the animals nonsense"

B12
Unhealthy vegetarian diets are extremely common, particularly among adolescent girls. Vegetarianism does not automatically equal healthy! There are also issues associated with too much intake of soy products (a considerable amount of which are genetically modified)

Another thing too, i've noticed that some girls in my class are either going vegan or vego. There's one girl who's a vego, but she's on a really poor diet. All she eats is pasta and vegetables, every night for tea, i know casue i've been to her house. Then when she's at school she loads her self up with chocolate and chips in order to stay active, casue her energy level is really low :( i do feel sorry for her, but yet again, she's one of those PETA lovers, and thinks that starving her self on a poor diet is going to save the animals :rolleyes:
Were doing a project together on animal cruelty, but i find it hard working with her cause we both have differnt views on what animal cruelty is.

mmmmmmmmmmm, kangaroo

Attachments

• cuts.jpg
    cuts.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 31
So is this thread about PETA or vegetarians and their beliefs.

My two cents to quote Homer Simpson 'you don't win friends with salad'

P.E.T.A. stands for absolutely NO animals kept as pets at all.... no birds,no fish,no retiles,dogs,cats,anything that is not human.......these nutjobs need a very healthy dose of reality and stop smoking or taking what ever it is that they do to give them this view......wonder how many of them have a fish or dog or cat as a pet??????

vegans/vegos..... they're like politics and religion...... do it if its ur choise,but keep it to urself,cause it just brings arguments..

now ive said that...... i pick up my 1st snake tomorrow :D a Broome locale stimmie off Wokka woooohoooooo

Thats right if PETA had their way nobody would be allowed to have any pets, captive breeding of endangered animals would be stopped, feral animal cantrol would be stopped and all animals in zoos would be killed. (they would prefer the word euthenaise but it is the same thing)

There is also no point arguing with vegetorians as they believe they are better than us meat eaters due to their superior brains.

Animal Lover

I class myself as an animal lover. but I also shoot both at the range and on the land.

I shoot feral animals such as foxes, goats, rabbits, ducks, cats, dogs and pigs. Apart from the dogs and cats (these are buried) I will cut up and butcher all other animals I kill. I shoot them clean one shot kills and in the unfortunate event that an animal is injured I always track them and finish them off.

Nothing taste's better than a bit of marinated game meat.;)

There are good and bad people in all organizations. I have been out on controlled shoots out in the middle of nowhere and had members of animal rights groups running around during live fire. These people are just pure tards and do nothing for their cause.

P.E.T.A make me get my angry pants on. i am an animal lover, and i have studied environmental science and ecology, and majority of P.E.T.A's arguments are misinformed and uneducated. They really got me angry when they were pushing for the banning of Australian Merino wool because we crotch our sheep here. Have they ever seen a fly blown sheep? i tiny snip and a touch of pain in order to stop a sheep from having to suffer that is well worth it in my opinion. people who make outrageous claims without knowing all the facts really get on my nerves. it seems this is all P.E.T.A ever does! grrr *mumble mumble*

Another thing too, i've noticed that some girls in my class are either going vegan or vego. There's one girl who's a vego, but she's on a really poor diet. All she eats is pasta and vegetables, every night for tea, i know casue i've been to her house. Then when she's at school she loads her self up with chocolate and chips in order to stay active, casue her energy level is really low :( .
As a teacher I can usually point out the vegetarian high school girls after about a week. Most change their diet because of animal cruelty concerns. They are often ill-informed. However, the Seventh-Day Adventists or vegetarian Hindus are usually healthy because the whole family is vegetarian and they balance the nutrients in their diet properly. Girls who declare themselves vegetarian in an omnivorous family rarely get enough nutrients, particularly iron and B vitamins. I have known several adult women who had to give up reasonably well-balanced vegetarian diets due to lack of energy. Meat eating fixed that.

If god didnt want us to eat animals then he would have made them run faster.
Now thats saying alot coming from an athiest :p

Brianna, you wouldn't have happened to read Peter Singer, would you?

When was the last time you were out on a working property??

I have close to 50,000 acres that I shoot on spread over 3 properties that run cattle and sheep. The conditions certainly aren't cruel there. Then the animals are slaughtered at the meatworks it is done quicky and humainly.

Perhaps she was referring to factory farming (which certainly is cruel). Have a look at Farm Sanctuary | Watkins Glen, NY.

The major problem with PETA is that they are becoming more and more extreme in their view and becoming more violent to those that dont follow them or their views....sounds more and more like one of those groups (and should be monitored closely). This isn't just a case of a few bad apples in the group their leader publically endorses and encourages people to disrespect the law, and become violent. If there is any well intended people in that group Ill suggest break away and form a new group because PETA's objectives and ambitions doesn't promote or encourage real animal welfare issues to the rational independent thinking person.

PETA are a bunch of retards and all need to be shot... I'm studying to be a vet, so I love animals very much indeed.. but there is no place in this world for PETA or the wackos who form it

They really got me angry when they were pushing for the banning of Australian Merino wool because we crotch our sheep here. Have they ever seen a fly blown sheep? i tiny snip and a touch of pain in order to stop a sheep from having to suffer that is well worth it in my opinion.
You have your facts wrong too my friend.. Crutching sheep is shearing the wool around their anus/vulva to stop wool soiling. Mulesing is what PETA campaigned against, and it involves two fairly large strips os skin being removed from the backs of the legs and top of the tail. It isn't a tiny snip and touch of pain, it is very painful indeed and there is no doubt it is not pleasant, and nobody likes doing it. I was on a sheep property for lamb marking and it is very disturbing... but the fact is it is 100% necessary.. it is far and away the most effective method to stop fly strike, and PETA don't seem to realise that.

Soon they'll be campaigning against vaccinating pets because injections are painful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back