F10 question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wholesale from the supplier. Well thats what I paid last time. I am almost out so i will have to buy another 2 year supply.

F10 is used in a misting application by a number of reptile facilities.

Thanks for the responses. My only problem is when I go to buy it (only ever bought two bottles) both times there's only been one year left until the expiry date - small town, not a lot of options to shop around.

$80 for a litre. At full strength thats 125 litres. I think thats about $0.64 a litre. Whats repticlean cost?

$115 a litre is the cheapest I have seen for F10, compared to about $30 for 500ml for Reptikleen. Given that the reptikleen has lasted more than a year (and is still half full), that's pretty good value. Although I'm sure people who use bleach might consider that too expensive as well. I only have 4 enclosures to clean, so 1 litre of F10 would be way too much for me to buy.

You cannot draw a comparison between a product like Repti-Kleen and a product like F10. They are vastly different - F10 is a full spectrum veterinary grade, antifungal, antibacterial, antisporicidal and most importantly antiviral disinfectant. Repti-Kleen is definitely not antiviral, and that is probably the most important aspect of a disinfectant.

The initial outlay ($30 for 200mL off of HerpShop) will actually make 25 litres. I use 3 litres a week in day to day cleaning (not including the cleaning of waterbowls) and I have a few hundred enclosures to clean. For someone with a few snakes, this is a couple of years worth.

F10

Lets cut to the chase here, for those who argue [imo] how expensive f10 is, well for the average keeper we are talking $30-$40 over 1-2 years... if your critters are not worth that to you for the use of a product thats considered to be the rolls royce in its area ...then l for one question your commitment......cheers solar 17 [Baden]

Jonno has made a good point about it being antivirus. although it is used for parvo, do we know if it works for the dreaded OPMV? i would assume if left for i thinks its 20-30 mins as for parvo, then all viruses would be eliminated.
those with small collection and no new animals may not worry with it, but it is a good piece of mind. and as stated it can be used as a treatment.
ive never used anything else because that is wot we use at work, but i think being the market leader there must be a reason. really cost should not be an issue as its a safety measure.

I dont think Jonno made good points I reckon he and solar nailed it.
As to OPMV. As a keeper who was directly effected by it all i can say is that no there isn't any proof that if kills OPMV but it really helps kill the secondary causes of infection that most animals die from.
Secondly if OPMV isn't what we all first thought and pertains mainly to hygiene and environment then F10 is a major safeguard.
Thirdly, I want a product that is safe to use and be exposed to everyday year in year out because thats how I use it and thats how I guess Jonno and his crew use it. Having had a friend die from cancer that may have been caused by using a corrosive cleaner I dont want to take that risk.
Thats why i wont use Neguvon, Virkon or Trigene. The latter because if it causes irritation then its a problem for me.

what's F10?

i told you f10 is the bees knees for a lot of people in here, i have 3 snakes and the cost just doesnt come into it, i particularly love the fact that its so easy to use and ive read enough gloatingly positive feedback on f10 from a lot of very experienced herpers that i just wouldnt risk anything else. it is still cheaper than vets bills..

Lets cut to the chase here, for those who argue [imo] how expensive f10 is, well for the average keeper we are talking $30-$40 over 1-2 years... if your critters are not worth that to you for the use of a product thats considered to be the rolls royce in its area ...then l for one question your commitment......cheers solar 17 [Baden]

spot on.

That's if you believe F10 is crucial for keeping snakes healthy. I'm not so sure it is when you have a small collection that does not require much quarantine work (by that I mean there is no movement into or out of the collection after initial purchases). It is not the cost per se that puts me off, its the need for it vs the cost. Some people like myself are somewhat skeptical of wonder products that sell for high prices and although I have no reason to doubt the product, I also have no real reason to believe it is essential for the health of my animals. A well maintained cage will harbour only small amounts of the bacteria already present in the snake, and if no other snake has lived in that enclosure, there is no risk of viral disease unless the snake was already infected when purchased - in which case no cleaning product will help rid the animal of the virus anyway.

You may question my commitment. You could apply the same argument to many things in life. Are you so quick to condemn people who don't spend every dollar they could afford to purchase a car with curtain airbags? Do you consider people who don't feed their dog the most expensive dog food not committed to their pets? Anyway, I appreciate the discussion. :)

Repti-Kleen is definitely not antiviral, and that is probably the most important aspect of a disinfectant.

Which is only important for quarantine, not general cleaning. I am not going to spend money on an anti-viral cleaner when there is no risk of a snake infecting itself with a virus.

But for collections that require quarantine, yep, sure it's an important consideration without doubt. Maybe when I do introduce new animals to my collection, or use a pre-loved cage, I will fork out for some F10.

Cheers.

Totally agree

lets cut to the chase here, for those who argue [imo] how expensive f10 is, well for the average keeper we are talking $30-$40 over 1-2 years... If your critters are not worth that to you for the use of a product thats considered to be the rolls royce in its area ...then l for one question your commitment......cheers solar 17 [baden]

totally agree with that........wr

...is Reptikleen still available? I just tried to find it on HerpShop and it's disappeared, with F10 in it's place. Was just trying to find some information as to what it's active ingredients were and what research had been conducted on it's effectiveness.

...is Reptikleen still available? I just tried to find it on HerpShop and it's disappeared, with F10 in it's place. Was just trying to find some information as to what it's active ingredients were and what research had been conducted on it's effectiveness.

Seems like it is off the site. Maybe I will have to use F10 next time after all. ;)

Active ingredient is 10% w/w Quaternary ammonium .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back