Feeding Habits for Bredli Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fqwxs

Reaction score
Hi Team.

My female bredli python is 6 months old.

She appears healthy enough but I need to confirm what her eating habits should be at this minute.

We have been feeding it pinki rats up once per week - until 3 weeks ago.

We now feed it velvet rats once per week.

I need to ask if we are doing the right thing.

Cameron

Bredli tucker

[imo] you are spot on, I have a clutch here the same age and they are on rats the same size as a full grown mouse every 6-7 days .... WR

thanks - we have been told by a person (not off here btw) who happens to own a snake and she said we may be over feeding it - especially during these cooler winter months...

Is she correct or misguided?

Cameron

bredli hatchies

IMO...WR..is right l have a clutch of hypo bredli here eating rats the size of a large mouse weekly...but boy do bredli,s love heat and plenty of it [hot end [34-36+]...cool end 23-25...cheers solar 17 [baden].....

Bredli

Yup all good my 6 month bredli boy is on weanlings and i think i will be moving up to mouse sized rats in the next few weeks. one a week.

You don't need to slow down feeding over winter unless you are cooling your snake (or if it goes off food on its own - although I can't imagine our Bredli girl EVER refusing a feed!)

ive been feeding my 6 month old pair of bredli's fuzzy rats(full grown mouse size) for a few months now, every 4 days...ive been spanked by a few more experienced people in here for overfeeding but been supported by others also. but fuzzy rats once a week should be fine..

My 6 month old male has been on fuzzy rats for a little while now (& will stay on them for a while still), my girl is about to upgrade to them next feed (she's also 6 months, both hatched mid January, but a bit smaller).

Both my kids eat once every 7-9 days

Here's a pic of my male from last week

i just bumped my 6 months girl up to fuzzy mice. she just engulfed one then with no problem. they are pretty small fuzzys in my opinion though.

Thanks people - really appreciate the feedback.

I often wonder in amazement when I watch our bredli gorge itself on her meal - and how it turns into a lump in her body. We have got her in a very good routine where we put her in a separate feeding box upon meal time and then wait a few hours before we put her back into her enclosure.

Speaking of enclosures, I am going to post a new thread shortly on ways to line my new enclosure (which is huge) - with photos to come..

Cameron

hi just a quick quest. on bredli sheds ,my guy is 5months looks about the same size as Tonksy photos feeds so easy is on mice size rats but has only had 2 sheds last one about 12 weeks ago he is healthy and growing well just wanted to compare with you guys ?

hi just a quick quest. on bredli sheds ,my guy is 5months looks about the same size as Tonksy photos feeds so easy is on mice size rats but has only had 2 sheds last one about 12 weeks ago he is healthy and growing well just wanted to compare with you guys ?

My boy has shed 3 times since I got him mid March, 5 times since he hatched in mid January, both my snakes shed about every 6-8 weeks so far

I got a big boy "barney" around 9 ft, Currently not eating his tucker! He is a healthy boy, not fat nor skinny, usally a A grade gentalman at feed time. I have allready thrown two rats. :shock: Some say maby looking for a mate, he very active, but me not sure when to atempt it again. Any one any tips?

is shedding a sign of good eating?

my bredli has only shed once since we got her in March this year...

thoughts?

Shedding

[imo]....a good guide every 6-8 weeks...cheers solar 17 [baden]...ps... in young snakes

FUNNY! My snake just shed last night. She must have heard me :)

What goes through a snake's mind just before shedding, during shedding and 1 hour after shedding?

Cameron

Is this true?

haha, well it was a joke, however mine have fed just before a shed (apparently some snakes go off their food) if they're due to be fed, they've taken it. Also if they're due for a feed just after a shed, they've taken that too. In fact my snakes, apart from when they're digesting, or sleeping (at day time), seem to spend a hell of a lot of time sitting in the ambush pose waiting for their next meal. So yeah, I reckon "I'm hungry" isn't that far from the truth haha.

thanks tonsky. :)

I have just discovered that she has not yet fully shedded with 150mm remaining from her tail tip up.

Why has this happened?

Is it bad?

What are my next steps to ensure it fuly sheds?

Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back