What is this PETA business?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol yes I think this was originally about PETA but a negative comment was made towards vegetarianism that was not based on reality.

A lot of you seem to have a very naïve view of how the animals you eat are farmed. I implore you to think about the truth of the situation and exercise your moral capacity to improve it. I’m not trying to cram anything down anybody’s throat, I don’t think that is a fair thing to say. All I would like is for people to open their eyes to reality rather than living in this dream world where all farm animals live in a lovely green pasture and are treated with compassion.

Aliveandkicking I accept that there are a few farms left like that but don’t be fooled into thinking that that is the norm. The trend is that those farms are reducing in number.

Aussiebluetounge - Vegetables and fruits are not sentient beings and so I don’t see the relevance of the comparison you have attempted to draw.

Sorry JasonL– I am sad to say that you are completely mistaken about chooks being the only animal to be produced in a manner totally contrary to their welfare. Around 90% of pigs in Australia are farmed in large factories where they are subjected to a number of abhorrent and totally unnecessary cruelties, including teeth-clipping, tail docking and sow-stalls, which have been outlawed in many other countries. Sheep and cows are also farmed in large factories. Small farms are not competitive against these big factories which minimize welfare of the animals as much as possible where doing so will increase profits. According to a Voiceless report, the number of Australian pig farmers has decreased by 94% while output has increased by 130%! There are a lot of exemptions under anti-cruelty legislation for farm animals. So they really are not protected under our law.

As consumers we can protect these animals by not funding these cruel practices. I think we all have a moral duty to protect those who cannot protect themselves. These animals can suffer and we should not cause them to do so unnecessarily.

Lol at the crack-pipe comment! I’m afraid I’m totally anti-drugs. Please point me in the direction of an opposing study and I will thoroughly consider it. And I don’t like to waste my time on non-existent deities.

Yes Vat69 I realize that using the most efficient and cruel-free way to feed the population does not necessarily entail any redistribution of resources but I think we have a responsibility to use resources as efficiently as possible so as to minimize the damage that we are doing to the planet.

I strongly dislike people saying that vegetarian, religious or political views should not be discussed openly. How are we to progress as a society if we do not allow any educated discussion?

The study that you have claimed is evidence of vegetarian people being less healthy doesn’t appear to be supporting that proposition. For a start the study is only relevant to young females. The conclusion in the abstract actually states that vegetarian and what they call, ‘semi-vegetarian’ women are healthier than non-vegetarians, with greater longevity, lower morbidity, less back pain, fewer allergies, and less instances of hay fever and sinusitis, but that the greater reports (less than 10% above non-vegetarian women in the study for most issues) of menstrual problems and mental health problems may be of clinical significance, some of them being more prevalent in the ‘semi-vegetarian’(ie avoiding red meat but eating other types of meat) than in the vegetarian women involved in the study. That report acknowledges and I agree that clinical tests including blood tests etc would be more appropriate than self reporting.

Interestingly (though perhaps unsurprisingly) the study results say that vegetarian women are more highly educated than non-vegetarian women.

Pythonmum, what makes you say that your vegetarian students are ill-informed? I presume you meant with respect to animal cruelty and not with respect to what they are required to eat as part of their diet?

Oh and yes JessB Vit B12 is found in eggs and dairy so no vegan options other than fortified cereals and fortified soymilk etc (which are easily available). I agree re GM soy.

I haven't read a lot of Singer, but I am familiar with some of his views from when I studied Med Law & Ethics. I've always meant to read his other works but am so busy.

And I can think of a great alternative to mulesing... stop farming sheep :D

Make sure you fund other animal advocate groups other than PETA if you are concerned about their methods, or at least exercise your choices as a consumer in an informed manner.

i see your logic..
with this in mind i have
solved the road toll............. banned cars
stopped the snake cage size requirement argument...............banned keeping snakes
solved poverty.............................banned money
world temp rising.............all stop sweating and breathing out hot air
Gen Y putting up stupid statements on forums ........................ban them

A 500grm rump cooked rare, still bleeding, and mooing, with fresh oysters picked off the rocks 5 mins earler. I surely am an animal lover, they taste beautiful........:D

I think we all have a moral duty to protect those who cannot protect themselves.

Interestingly (though perhaps unsurprisingly) the study results say that vegetarian women are more highly educated than non-vegetarian women.

I like these three comments the best.

Cud chewing vegos should be banned for significantly contributing to the greenhouse effect.Can't stand others trying to push tofu down peoples throats.

As an aside don't people possess teeth that are called canines?

Pythonmum, what makes you say that your vegetarian students are ill-informed? I presume you meant with respect to animal cruelty and not with respect to what they are required to eat as part of their diet?
They are ill-informed on both counts. They have read or seen something about horrible animal cruelty, which does not necessarily represent the choices available for animal-based products in Australia (e.g. free range vs intensively farmed eggs). They rarely extend their concern to wearing/using leather products or all of the other animal products used in trace amounts in foods. They do not eat a properly balanced vegetarian diet and thus end up anaemic and low on energy. As stated, the healthy ones come from vegetarian families with balanced diets.

EDIT: BTW - the reason this turned into a vegetarian discussion is that PETA's publicity and shock-campaigns are usually what causes young girls to become ill-informed vegetarians. Personally, I think the best reason is ecological, but I like my meat too much to give it up. Rack of veal for dinner tonight!

Last edited:
no,she has it right you guys...... we should stop all the sheep and cattle farming,the egg farms,hatcheries,seafood farms,pig farms,turkey,emu farms...stop all the cullings of roos and such.....cause we'll have to clear ALL the land to accomodate the vege farms that will be needed to feed the population that now doesnt eat animal products.... so, so sad too bad for the animals that we send into extinction.

i luv animals but would never think of goin vegetarian or vegan

we werent born as herbivores so PETA should stop trying to make us

oh and as to cooking steak its not any good unless its blue

peta also support the animal liberationist front (or whatever they are called now) who are known eco terrorists who are linked to several medical research bombings and a large number of murders who are mostly medical scientists trying to find cures for things like cancer and aids.

basically they believe that animals should have the same rights as humans and fanatically push their belifes on anybody who doesnt share them

so to give an example you keep herps well your being cruel to animals.
do you have a pet dog??? as far as peta is concerned your as bad as a slave trader.

peta are a bunch of hypocritical loosers with no life and well i hate them and all thier affiliates.

i might add i despise animal cruelty when it is actually cruel. a quick clean kill from a rifle is not cruel.

I eat according to my teeth and I appreciate my place in the food chain!

As an aside don't people possess teeth that are called canines?
Yes. So do horses.. And pandas have an entire set of carnivore dentition but eat bamboo.

The human dentition is not designed purely for meat. While we do have canines our mouth is filled primarily with crushing, grinding molars.. Our ancestors did not eat nearly as much meat as we did today - hence the dentition leaning toward plant matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back