Members who also own fish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my Oscar

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5212.jpg

IMG_5210.jpg

IMG_5209.jpg

i started with fish,i now have a 3ft tank in my room,a 3ft tank in my kitchen a 5 ft tank and a 3ft tank in a spare room a one ft tank in my loungeroom and 2 ponds downstairs with approx 100 convicts,the other tanks i have and oscar in my room and flowerhorns in the others

I have one HUGE Tiger Oscar 2 big Plecos and one Black Ghost Night Knife Fish hes about 1 or so foot long here are some pics the pic of the Black Ghost Night Knife Fish is a year old also have other small fish but these are my pride and joy
Fish003.jpg

Fish006.jpg

Fish007.jpg

Fish011.jpg

03102007013.jpg

03102007015.jpg

I really enjoy keeping native fish, I have a Murray Cod, Yellow Belly, Barra and my lastest addition are three small Tandanus catfish. Love the natives but keep a stack of goldfish and various feeder fish too. They are far from a poor mans pet, setting up and ongoing costs really add up! Fish and reptiles are on par in by books! :)

I have an aquaponics system :) It's a cross between hydroponics and aquaculture, where you have a tank full of fish, and you pump the water through hydroponic beds were you grow your fruit and veges. The beds full of gravel act as the bio filter converting the fish waste, and the plants take up the nitrate. It is a closed system and you never purge any water, just top up. I am doing Barramundi during summer, and trout in winter, and it's awesome. I have 80 rainbow trout in there at the moment.

This was the first aquaponics meal we had :D Beer battered barramindi.

Attachments

• P1050324.jpg
    P1050324.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 46
  • P1050326.jpg
    P1050326.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 45
i have 2 - 2ft freshwater tropical tanks . but i only have boring fish in there [ sword fish , some bristle nose cat fish - and yabbies]

Fish

I own Blue Grenadier, a few flathead and a couple of snappers. I think I might even have some trout.

Looks yummy Jozz, we are still collecting bits to get ours up and running. Will have a few questions for you too lol ...

Nice tanks everyone!!! i work at an aquarium... ive only got two tanks at home but i have tanks at the shop that are mine that we dont sell out of, family buisness!!! a small tropical tank at my house its a 2 footer with some tetras and a few other small fast little bu**ers that i cant get out of there, nike fish i believe they are called. Then the other tank i have at home in a 4 foot by two foot by two foot with discus!!! they are sweet!!. at the shop we have a 6 footer with discus, a 6 footer with jardini saratoga and a birchir with a few plecos. Then a large 4 foot planted tank with lots of different tropicals, a marine tank FO, and finally my fav our 2000 litre arowana tank!! :) :):), in it we have tiny our almost 1 meter silver arowana, grumpy our green base chilli red aro and bob my giant albino pleco, that tank is the easiest to maintain with a 6 foot sump and huge pond filtration with no gravel and a few bits of driftwood!!!

Anyone else keep Oscars and have any other fish in the same tank?

My Oscar is fully grown in a 5 foot tank and is pretty possessive of his environment, just wondering how he would go with a companion (that was big enough for him not to eat!)
The three neons that were in there when he got introduced definitely didn't last long, but he has a bristlenose catfish in with him and they get along fine. The catfish (Skank) has a 'shipwrecked keg' that he lives in, and the oscar can't get him in there so that's his refuge..

The worst that happens is the oscar chases him when he spots him, but he doesn't beat it up. He tried once and copped those weird spikey things that cat has..

PS those spikey things on the cat's face makes him VERY annoying to catch with a net!

I have a pond full of these, along with long finned rosy barbs, rainbows, mountain clouds and turtles all in the one pond...

long finned (butterfly) Koi
Resize of long fin.jpg

Resize of long finned koi.jpg

as well as a large aquarium inside...so I LOVE fish..:)

Kelly

PS those spikey things on the cat's face makes him VERY annoying to catch with a net!

I know exactly what you mean Phil lol, I used to breed bristlenose, clown and sailfin plecos...they all had the cluster of spikes near their gills and were horrible to catch. I used to try and ambush them with a chinese container which also wasnt easy in 6ft tanks full of rocks and driftwood.

I also kept and bred 7 bar frontosa's which were a fantastic species of fish that I kept in an 8x2x2 display tank. I currently dont keep any fish...long story... but think they are fantastic for relieving stress and also very stressful at the same time lol

I have a Murray cod.

Eats anything that fits in his mouth.

[video=youtube;pdGfR4tK0eg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdGfR4tK0eg&feature=channel_page[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back