Notebook/laptop help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm seriously considering purchasing a new laptop, as mine now requires a new battery and I don't want to risk spending money on a new battery when I've had computers with the computer non stop anyway (motherboards been replaced ~7+ times, fingerprint reader replaced, screen replaced, keyboard replaced, ram replaced, all on seperate intervals.)

Current computer
- Dell XPS M1530
- 3gb ram
- Intel core 2 duo T7250 (2.0ghz, 2MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB)
- 250gb hard drive
- NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics card

Ok I use this computer for heavy graphics work (Often 20+ ~4mb photos open at any time in photoshop CS4, also use illustrator CS4) and uni work (On between 8am-11pmish) typing notes in word and powerpoint. Due to the graphics work, I need a fairly high powered machine.

Price range up to about $1500, I'd like to upgrade from my computer somewhat (min 320gb HD, 2.1ghz +, 4gb ram+ etc) though obviously with this price range I cant get anything too flash.

Questions
- Any computer recommendations?
- Any positive or negative comments about certain brands? i.e. I've recently had heaps of problems with dell, has anyone else? Their customer service is great, but the product itself (from my experience) is crap
- AMD vs Intel for laptops? I've researched these and it seems to be mixed opinions
- My current processor is a T7250; the current processor in my price range seems to be the T6500, is this better? (I dunno what the info in this link means lol)
- Graphics cards- I'd like to have decent graphics; I currently have the NVIDIA 8600M GT, but most of the current computers in my price range, on the dell site at least, have an ATI mobility Radeon HD4330-256MB- I've heard from some people that this card isn't as good. How does it really compare, do you know? As well as the ATI mobility Radeon HD 4570 512MB and the ATI mobility Radeon HD 4670 1GB?

Sorry for the excessively long post but I live off my laptop so would like to make the right choice.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]

I can't advise on anything technical (having an IT geek brother means I can be blissfully ignorant) but I wouldn't go with another Dell. They're known to be plagued with problems. My lappy is a Dell and (touch wood) I've never had any problems in the 3 or so years I've had it, but I only bought it to take overseas and Dell have an excellent international warranty service. I'm looking to upgrade soon too and won't be going Dell.

I would advise to stay far far away from acer, I have 3 and they are always crashing on me. having to re-flash bios etc.
I will be looking at dell or hp for my next machine.

Thanks guys. I hadn't planned on touching acer either, as I have heard stories about those too, and always thought they weren't as reliable, though they're cheap. Then again pretty much any brandcan have problems I suppose.

I've heard problems about HP as well, where, if you have a problem it can be difficult to fix. Dell IS great in that regard, as, whenever I'd had a problem (quite often, but I've been told I just got a dud) I've had a tech out the next day to fix it, and they fix it on site.

I've determined that I'd like to stick to Intel processors based on some articles I've read, including this one which compares battery life and performance of two similar machines, one AMD and one Intel. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of the Toshibas and Asus notebooks in stores have AMD processors now.

i agree. dont get an acer. piece of ****!
thats my only advice lol...

I've had 4 Dells and wont go past them. Yeh I have had some probs but what pc/lappie wont. Dell always have some one there the next day, to fix the problem.
Bottom line is most of the internals all come from the same factory, just have differant names on them!
For me Dell everytime........

Even though I've had heaps of problems with this computer, as I said I'm really happy with Dells service, so thats why I'm still considering them. I'm really interested in hearing everyones experiences and stories regarding Dell notebooks in particular. The brands I'm considering purchasing are Dell, Toshiba and Asus, and thats pretty much it...

Thanks for your help so far guys :)

I bought a Satellite P300 about 15 months ago, amazing computer 350GB HDD, 4gig ram, 512mb gfx card (runs any new game on at least medium settings) webcam and everything else. They have dropped rapidly and you can pick them up for about $1500 now. Toshiba all the way!

yep I agree Toshiba all the way.....wouldnt consider anything else,reliable,trustworthy,hardworking. Check out Techbuy,they got some great deals..

Save up another $1000 and get a macbook pro.

or you can get the 13 inch macbook pro for about $1800 not including haggling.

The ATi 4870 1gb is heaps good! I have a desktop version (not the mobile one) and it can run most games on high The 4870 blows any 8600 out of the water.....

Also you're not really able to utilise the 4gb of ram unless you are running a 64-bit operating system! However I doubt you will exceed 3.2 gb which is what a 32-bit operating system will recognise.

-Will

Last edited:
I just switched to mac and I love it! If you are a student you can get the new 2.1ghz processor in the white macbook for $1470.

I just switched to mac and I love it! If you are a student you can get the new 2.1ghz processor in the white macbook for $1470.

I'd rather get the alu MacBook pro. But mac for the win. Been using one for over a year now and hate when I have to touh a windows pc. Also with a mac you get best of both os X and windows. Also with Snow Leopard (10.6) just around the corner your crazy to buy another windows laptop

i agree with dreddie a macbook pro apple are the best even though i have a dell desktop, a compac laptop and three others in the house.

I have a 13" Aluminum Macbook and I love it
I also have 2 24" one is a white version a few years old now and the other is a Silver one.
Both Imacs are fantastic and I use it for RAW image processing with lightroom and Photoshop CS4..they where made for this type of work.
I can run windows on them, either in vmware fusion or boot-camped and they run windows faster than my kids P4 3.4g extreme.

And if you use it for work...flexi rent it...you will get a better tax break than you will be depreciating it

I've been looking up macs now... I like the look and price of the 13" macbook pro, but I was after a 15" computer, and the 15" are getting a bit out of my price range unfortunately. I have used a macbook pro quite a few times, as my housemate has one, and there are a lot of things I don't like about them; e.g. you seem to have less control over certain things. Also, all of my programs are for windows so that'd cause more problems again (Yes I know you can set up windows on a mac). If it werent for the programs and the 13" size, I would probably get this macbook (2.53ghz, 4gb memory etc for $1,499)

Also looked up the satelite P300 but its a 17" notebook? Its not really practical to carry around in my bag at uni all day...

I've been looking up macs now... I like the look and price of the 13" macbook pro, but I was after a 15" computer, and the 15" are getting a bit out of my price range unfortunately. I have used a macbook pro quite a few times, as my housemate has one, and there are a lot of things I don't like about them; e.g. you seem to have less control over certain things. Also, all of my programs are for windows so that'd cause more problems again (Yes I know you can set up windows on a mac). If it werent for the programs and the 13" size, I would probably get this macbook (2.53ghz, 4gb memory etc for $1,499)

Also looked up the satelite P300 but its a 17" notebook? Its not really practical to carry around in my bag at uni all day...

Comes in 15" as well although mine is 17"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back