6mnth Bredli...Not Eating!?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumby

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi ive had my bredli for a month now & ive tried him 3 times on pinkie mice, but no go. Ive even cut one in half too try get him to have a go. He doesn't strike, or take interest at all. The bloke i bought him off said he was eating fine...

I know they can go for a prolonged period of time without food, but just starting too worry. I dont want my little boy too get hungry.

Any advice at all would be great.

Thanks.

first off...
whats the temp in your hot end
how are you presenting the pinkies
what temp is the pinkie when offered
what size enclosure is it in
does it have hides
how oftern are you handling it.

The majority of times when hatchies dont feed is, being stressed,temperature related.Once their sorted out you should be fine.Have you spoken with the seller,do you have a feed chart etc when you brought the Bredli.

As the others have said, check the temps. This may mean raising the temp of the room the snake is kept in to 26degrees. You can also try a larger meal to entice it. At 6months old try a fuzzy rat. Again this would also depend on how many feeds it has already had with the previous owner. Try the heating first. Good Luck

Bredli rarely stop feeding once established. The words "Bredli" and "not feeding" rarely belong in the same sentence. They are extremely hardy and due to their geography can tolerate very extreme conditions (hot and cold).

Having said that, it is very important that the enclosure is set up appropriately. As was mentioned this is most likely to be the cause and is easily rectified.

Have you contacted the breeder? I always urge people to contact the breeder as a first point of call. There are many people here on this forum who are well equipped with knowledge and most definitely could help you out. But the breeder will know the individual animal best.

IMO the number one reason for established feeders stopping feeding with new keepers is too much handling!

This may not be the case with you, but you would go a long way by ceasing all contact until the animal takes a feed again.

Do not even open its cage until you are dropping in a warm food item if possible. Try just leaving the warmed food at dusk at its hot end over night, after no contact for a week! This is your best first option.

Yeah my little bredli man is about 5-6 months old, he's eating a small fuzzy rat once a week. He's never knocked back a feed, but I know he was on mice when I got him, but the change over to rats was an easy one. Maybe give a rat a go.

I'm gonna agree with everyone and guess its probably the temp or stress if it has no place to hide away or being handled alot, even if its in a high traffic area of your home. I'm no expert on Bredli but i've kept other snakes and found infrequent handling and the right temps while they're young and settling in are very important.
My 5 month old bredli took an adult mouse an hour after i got it home!

try leaving the food in there over night too see if he takes it when the lights are out

regards

jason

defrost the mouse so its nice and warm and dangle it in front of the snakes hide. wave it around slightly to mimic live and moving prey. mine will smash it pretty much instantly but some times she just watches it for minutes on end, if this happens i suddenly swing the mouse straight for her and she grabs it and devours it. my girl is an eating machine and i cant see a bredli refusing a feed haha.

Its temp related.If its not temp related then its well, temp related.

Thanks for all your posts & help. Ive got him on a 7W heat mat atm, in just one of the small plastic lockable containers, with a hide & water bowl & stick through it for him too climb on etc..

Should i try a higher temp. heat matt?
I dont handle him much at all i must admit, i work all day then pretty much sleep...Lol If higher heat mat dont work, ill try him on a different food type?

thanks for all your help!

Wow this is a first, a feeding problem without a spotted python involved lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back