Health and Fitness

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I work all night as a cleaner so Im constantly walking around vacuuming, mopping etc, I sleep till about lunchtime then I eat a whole heap of crap (never a proper meal). Im right into bmx riding so then I ride all afternoon...either dirt jumps or skatepark, my body cops a hell of a workout and i constantly have injuries but I enjoy it so I push on and it keeps me fit. I eat a lot of garbage like maccas etc and drink a lot of coke, the only decent meal Id have all day would be dinner time where I try to have meat and vegies....but can often be replaced by pizza or hot chips. Im about 6ft and would be lucky to weigh 70kg wringing wet.

The CSIRO diet is heavy on protein. For women the daily diet is 300g lean meat per day, 3 serves dairy (serve = 200 ml low-fat yoghurt or 25 g normal cheese), at least 2 1/2 serves vegetables per day, but you can eat as much as you want of nearly anything except potatoes, 3 serves fat (serve = 1 tablespoon olive oil), 3 serves wholemeal bread/cereal/rice (serve = 1 slice bread, 2 serves fruit (serve = 150g fresh fruit). I find it hard to eat enough meat at lunch, but enjoy tearing into all of the veggies. You are supposed to have fish/seafood as your protein at least one lunch and one dinner per week, red meat for at least 2 dinners, eggs as you wish. You should also follow an increasing exercise program. You are allowed 2 'luxuries' per week (= 150 ml wine, 20g chocolate).

My main critique is that legumes are difficult to work in because they use up your bread allowance. I like to eat beans or lentils more than the diet generally allows. The above diet is for weight loss. When the goal weight is reached, you start adding calories in 500 kJ blocks until stabilised. Studies on women with 'Syndrome X' have show that the CSIRO version is more effective in losing midriff fat than diets with less protein, but the same kilojoules. I'm no where near overweight, but wanted to take off 2 or 3 kg around the middle, which has worked very quickly. I also enjoy cooking new dishes and have had fun trying new recipes. My trolley is at least half vegetables with this diet and a couple of the recipes have been particularly great hits, like rack of veal with seeded mustard marinade and roast vegetables - beautiful!

The CSIRO diet is indeed a winner, though it (like most diets) has a few flaws, and Pythonmum has pointed out one of them quite clearly. The issue here is legumes. Legumes are inherently excelent ways of incorporating vegetarian based protein into the diet, whilst the added benefit of increasing levels of fiber, and decreasing levels of saturated fat. This makes them an ideal source of protein for people where cardiovascular disease is a risk. My thoughts on the CSIRO diet are that there is alot of representation of food groups that have national funding behind them eg. Dairy farmers association, meat industry, and not alot of representation for food items that do not have ample funding. Alot of the people that I talk to surrounding diet are often not able to afford that amount of animal protein a day, and require more financially sustainable options for their meals. Lentils and beans do a great job again here.

Over the last 12 months I've lost 35kgs. Im 5' 9 and now weight in at 65 kgs. It really came about through at work every two yrs we have to do medicals and was told a few of my results came back and put me on the at risk cat. This kinda really bothered me as at the time I was only 29 and my family does have a history of heart problems. I had previously and regularly gone to the gym before hand so I had to look more importantly into my diet and understanding exactly how much energy my body required as opposed to how much I was putting in. Once I corrected that the excess wieght literaly fell off and did so quickly.

Now days Ive changed my excercise habits greatly gone are the long boring runs or hours in the gym. Currently Im work out from home now currently week 4 into the P90X program. I started this program for more muscle defination as I wouldnt want to lose more weight, which so far yes I can see a very big difference in such a short enough of time, which is teaching me more about the quality of the excercises instead of the length. Although Im not 100% strict on my diet I eat more healthy these day and instead of having big meals I often have several smaller ones.

I eat when i'm hungy, drink way too much coffee, smoke and drick alcohol every weekend. I know its bad but i give in too easy.

Im a powerlifter :D so i get 2 eat 7- 8 meals a day, usually every 2 hours.
I get in 500- 600 grams of protein a day. Levels of fats and carbs are varied depending on whether its a training day or not. I train high intensity low reps 2 days a week nd do some form of cardio every day- except after a legs work out, then i can barely stand:lol:

day time staples... junk foods and red bull, cause I'm lazy
get good home cooked veggies and meat almost every night though
own a treadmill, but work so much that I just wanna chill out when I get home
not gaining any weight though... so I must be doing something right? or maybe too stressed to put on weight?

5ft tall @ 41-42 kg

cut the junkfood and the redbull! you have no idea how angry my partner gets when i drink Mother/Redbull, etc!!! It's so so bad for you. why not take some healthy/not-so-junky snacks with you for the day? like fruit, nuts, chilled salads and muslie bars :)

I'm 5'8 and 10kg's up on you, and i eat everything i want. thankfully my metabolism can keep up with me, but i have had times where i go for a few months eating really poorly, cakes, sweets, cream etc all the time and i LOSE weight. typically it's because these foods are my comfort foods and i get horribly stressed very easily, so the stress makes me drop wieght and if im not eating enough fat i get too tired to do much other than eat! (hehe)

point is, try to identify what it is that is making you stressed, and ensure you are eating properly to help you through it (dont do what i do though! i deserve to have diabetes with what i eat!) personally i think that that weight at your age and height is worrying, but as long as your energy levels are good and you're eatin okay then theres nothing to worry about!

in short, cut the redbull! :) .... end rant

I eat whatever I want whenever I want hahaha, but I'm trying to be a bit better with eating. There's no doubt I'm overweight. Got a gut, that's for sure.

Go for an hour's walk every day but only started that about a week ago

I'm 5'8 and 10kg's up on you, and i eat everything i want. thankfully my metabolism can keep up with me, but i have had times where i go for a few months eating really poorly, cakes, sweets, cream etc all the time and i LOSE weight. typically it's because these foods are my comfort foods and i get horribly stressed very easily, so the stress makes me drop wieght and if im not eating enough fat i get too tired to do much other than eat! (hehe)
Do you have worms..?

im 165cm 24yrs and 60KG and my BMI is around 22-23

eat what ever i want but i limit fatty and sugary foods.

i go to the gym 3-4 times a week i play squash once a week and go indoor rock climbing when ever i can.

during summer (coming soon YAY) i will cycle to work 30-35km one way so 60-70Km a day or 300-350Km a week.

and also during summer i do free diving / scuba diving on the weekends and when ever i can get a chance.

well i do lots of sport because i have so much energy
i do swimming at school, running (few k's), gymnastics- 5 1/2 hours a week, soccer a couple of hours inc games and tennis! its great
and my diet is bit of junk and healthy otherwise lol

I get in 500- 600 grams of protein a day. Levels of fats and carbs are varied depending on whether its a training day or not. I train high intensity low reps 2 days a week nd do some form of cardio every day- except after a legs work out, then i can barely stand:lol:

any kidney stones yet? I got them when I was on a high protein diet, :(..... I used to eat, 6 x egg white omelette for breakfast, 12 weetbix for morning tea, very large bowl of tuna salad for lunch, chicken breast / salad roll for arvo tea, lean steak and a seperate plate of vegies for dinner, protein shake for desert, at the gym before and after work 5-6 days, weights 3-4, low intensity cardio for the rest....

Haha...
I exercise via work, footy, surfing and just being active in general.
Don't get fat as I don't ram food down my throat mindlessly.

...and I save (probably) thousands on gym fees, dieticians, personal trainers or those yuppie boot camps...

Rocket science :D

5'8 and 50kg? Do you have metabolic issues? Just curious.

53 kg's, BMI 18. Women on both sides of my family have very fast metabolisms. We're known for having a bit of a sweet tooth, and also for dropping weight easily, but having said that i did also mention that i am at my worst when i am stressed and i tend to be stressed more often that not!

Do you have worms..?

Ta for that Phil. And yes it has been said to be before, and no that's not the cause. :p

Serpentor is my partner so i guess i'm cheating a bit having a PT for a boyfriend :p We eat well and i do alot of exercise during the day. I work at a grooming salon so wash dogs all day (which is actually surprisingly hard work i might add!) And every night we have three dogs to walk so we walk for an hour and a half to run the silliness out of them. I regularly have blood tests as my father, being the idiot he is, thinks i am anorexic and my mother, being the paranoid hypochondriac she is thinks i am anemic. And neither show up, i'm heathly as, if only for eating a few too many sweet things.

Eat well, have fun while you exercise, and try not to stress about all the little things!

Ahh the days of bodybuilding supplements........

Attachments

• n1308538704_30062615_8754.jpg
    n1308538704_30062615_8754.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 43
cut the junkfood and the redbull! you have no idea how angry my partner gets when i drink Mother/Redbull, etc!!! It's so so bad for you. why not take some healthy/not-so-junky snacks with you for the day? like fruit, nuts, chilled salads and muslie bars :)

point is, try to identify what it is that is making you stressed, and ensure you are eating properly to help you through it (dont do what i do though! i deserve to have diabetes with what i eat!) personally i think that that weight at your age and height is worrying, but as long as your energy levels are good and you're eatin okay then theres nothing to worry about!

in short, cut the redbull! :) .... end rant

I think I'll ignore the part where it seems like you called me fat enough to be worrying, just not in the exact words... I work close to 60 hours a week in a stressful office environment, so I know what's stressing me out, I think I do pretty well considering my full time work environment where I'm glued to a pc all day.

I also get regular blood sugar tests and blood pressure tests. Being able to do 70+ minutes fast paced walking and jogging on the treadmill without half wrecking myself is a good indication to my general health and fitness. You should also consider that muscle mass can weigh 2-3 times more than fat... considering I have a history in long distance running, I've got a fairly good muscle base.

In short... I think you should acquire all the facts before you go calling someone a worrying weight.

4 weight sessions a week .... 4 30 minute cardio sessions a week
3 heavy drinkn sessions per week

Cool man, so by power lifting you mean 3-4 reps? 4-5 sets? heavy heavy weights? I've recently just started back on that sorta routine after having a big break from it (which I think is necessary). Lifting well over your body-weight for an extended period of time is not too good on the joints imo, even if you eat like a machine.

I think I'll ignore the part where it seems like you called me fat enough to be worrying, just not in the exact words... I work close to 60 hours a week in a stressful office environment, so I know what's stressing me out, I think I do pretty well considering my full time work environment where I'm glued to a pc all day.

I also get regular blood sugar tests and blood pressure tests. Being able to do 70+ minutes fast paced walking and jogging on the treadmill without half wrecking myself is a good indication to my general health and fitness. You should also consider that muscle mass can weigh 2-3 times more than fat... considering I have a history in long distance running, I've got a fairly good muscle base.

In short... I think you should acquire all the facts before you go calling someone a worrying weight.
ermmmm....I actually think she was suggesting you might be underweight?....The fact that you assumed otherwise, is a little worrying.

4 weight sessions a week .... 4 30 minute cardio sessions a week
3 heavy drinkn sessions per week
why do you do 4 weight sessions per week? That's a little much don't you think? Even if you're doing the perfect hypertrophy routine, and trying to target different muscles each day, you'd still be overworking something.

Have you tried doing two longer routines, with bigger full body movements? This is a much more efficient way of doing weights, and instead of doing individual muscles by themselves, it forces your body to work in sync with itself, thus enhancing left/right co-ordination, and proprioception.

Your BMI is 17.7, exactly the same as me. You are classed as UNDERWEIGHT. Being that you consider yourself to have a decent amount of muscle and yes, muscle weighs more than fat, you must have a very low percentage body fat. For women of our age such a low percentage body fat is bad every way you look at it, i just like being told by a PT that i can shove my mouth full of full fat milk, peanut butter and lean beef stirfry! hehehe.

Going back to the stress point, just make sure your immune system isn't suffering for it, eat a good base of veggies at least five times a week of all the colour groups to make sure you're getting a good dose of vitamins, etc so you don't get sick. I know i always got sick when i was stressed at uni or something else and having a poor diet with not enough fruit and veggies at the time always ALWAYS made it worse :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back