German Shepherds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my brother has a shepard x lab, adorable dog, though my fave breed is bulldog... not as quiet as u might think

I love german shepards. i had one called Zena and she was teh best dog i got her when i was younger and she hardly ever barked unlike yappy little dogs, she was great around the horses my mum wuld never let me have a dog that chased the horses. the only time she misbehaved was if she saw another dog she would get very aggressive.

LMAO no it is not my plan for the next 10 years not really that its you're business what I choose to do with my life. but still no.

Btw Wicca. My Collie doesn't really like other dogs either! shes really un predictable sometimes shes scared sometimes she chases them. Still shes the best dog =-D

Shepherds have always been one of my favs. I have a pure bred belguim shepherd, I have a lot of skin issues with her cause I'm in the tropics and her hair is so thick and long.

I think if its taken this long wait a little longer and watch the RSPCA website. They have many dogs and quite often some shepherds. This will be good for not only a poor pup who needs a home but for your bank too. At most you'll probably pay $300 for a pup that is already wormed, flea treated, vacccinated, microchipped and desexed. So if you add it up your only really paying for the vet work its had. I recently got a kelpie X from there for $222 (I know its an odd amount), she was 8 months. Price will depend on age, and sex of the dog.

yeah I was hoping to get an older shepherd maybe from a shelter or something!

Please, take advice from one who knows! I agree with getting dogs from shelters BUT not Shepherds! They are there for a reason, and being a first time Shepherd owner, you will not be able to deal with such a dog. Save yourself a lot of heartache ( & your mum saying I told you so), get a pup, around 10 - 12 weeks of age. Go to puppy pre-school & dog obedience & treat your Shep with the respect it deserves. It will be best for both of you! Plus you will have the fun of having the cutest, most adorable puppy who will bond with you way better than an older shelter dog!

kakariki... I understand where you're coming from! but I don't know I kind of feel bad getting a puppy because a lot of people don't want the older dogs, and I wanna save a life! but you are right!

kakariki... I understand where you're coming from! but I don't know I kind of feel bad getting a puppy because a lot of people don't want the older dogs, and I wanna save a life! but you are right!

their are things you need to know about German Shepards

1. hip and elbow displacment
2. temperment

buy from a breeder thay is part of the German Shepard Dog club they score all their breeding dogs for both

best dogs emma.. although my german shepard was an exception. his name was barney, long haired traditional colours gorgeous dog. he was trained to be a police dog but failed because... they couldnt make him bite :). hahaha he was cutie. bit of a trouble maker could escape from any where and got crazy excited when you got the lesh out. he was almost impossible to walk, he tugged so hard when he walked. get a pup because as greater dog barney was he would have been much better if we'd raised him from a pup.

We imported five Working German Shepherd Dogs from Czech Republic a number of years ago.
There is alot of differences between GSD's. You have the "pet" ones bred by backyard pet breeders, you have the "show" ones bred by the show people and then you have the "working" ones bred by the working people, like us. Then in the working lines you still have differences such as "west German v's Czech v's East German" etc.
If you want a guard, security or sport dog, get a working one, if you want a pet get a show or pet one.
You also have a greater choice of colours in the working dogs such as black sable and solid black.

At 18, do you really think you are in the best position to commit to an active, large, demanding and intelligent dog for the next 12 years?

I imagine your mum is probably not keen for you to get a big dog because she knows that she will be the one left looking after it when you travel/study/move to a small share house or flat with no backyard for a big dog.

i got an australian kelpie when i was 16. i still have her now and i most definitely do not regret it. i don't see a problem with teenagers getting pets, as long as you are a responsible owner and it doesn't end up in the pound.

But i absolutely adore my dog. I give her the exercise and mental stimulation she needs and would not trade her for the world. and since she is a kelpie i still have the next 12 years to look forward to her still acting like a nut job!! (she's 4 years old now and crazy as all hell!)

back to shepherds... as has been mentioned they do have very bad hip problems. working at the RSPCA they had a 16 month old german shepherd come in that was so bad they had to put it down. and that was a young dog.
so make sure you put a lot of research into potential breeders you're looking at.
just throwing it out there, that maybe you should look at getting a shepherd cross that would reduce risk of health problems.
pictures of shepherds with their butts almost touching the ground is incredibly disturbing. these dogs are now bred for looks rather than working ability and i highly doubt that any of these purebreds could do an honest days work in their lives.
i am not trying to put down the breed as i know they are highly intelligent (used as police dogs etc) i am just saying that people are breeding them to have these problems just so they look nice in a show ring. its ridiculous.....
so good luck choosing a dog, and hopefully you dont have any of these horrible problems that can be associated with the breed

sheppards are great dogs can cost lots of money i grew up around them. think we has 6 in total.
pricing depends on coat short/long coloring and temperment.
if you look in your local paper or go onto petlink.com have a look there you may even find someone that is giving one away i have been told not to get a white sheppard as they can be agressive more then normal. if you can get one as a pup. they dont grow up till about 3-4 years
good dog hunting hope you find one that suits you and your life style.

I grew up with shepherds, and while they were all lovely animals they turned me off ever buying a purebred dog (well, that and the great dane we had). All of them were bought from registered breeders with all the right papers and scores and all of them still had hip and other problems.
I'd say this regardless of the breed you were after, but with shepherds especially, I agree with the others that have said you're better off getting a cross-bred animal. Better yet, adopt a mutt. There are so many dumped dogs at shelters, I personally can't see any positives for getting a line-bred purebred over a shelter dog.

I have 2 german shepherds, both of which I purchased through pet rescue / shelter dogs. They are the best! Would not give them up for anything, the fact they shed hair everywhere all the time sucks but who cares, I have timber floors just means you need to vacum more often if you let them inside the house. They are part of the family. Very loyal. & I feel that rescuing dogs from the shelter that deserve a second chance is a great thing to do, plus it saves you alot of money, I paid $300-$350 for each of mine & they have a great temp & top looking/quality in my opinion. You just can't expect to find one straight away, my first I was lucky to find her at first look, and instantly bonded. The second took me about 6months of looking & we also had a very strong bond from the start.

Get out there, look on the pet rescue site, go meet the dogs your interested in and see what happens. The best way to find them is face to face.

Good Luck.

i have a pure breed german sheepard named jay he was 12 hundred his parents were show dogs so he had the bloodline.

did you know the long hair is a genetic throw back in a litter. It will usually be sold for less as it is not intended to have been bred for its long hair. lots of grooming involved! best of luck with what ever you get.

I will be getting one from imported German lines though, or a black sable working type from a breeder who does them for police work / guards / schutzhund.

Bit of a contradiction there. The german lines are bred for stable, healthy dogs that can be worked. Schutzhund originated from germany and means "protection dog", so they are the same lines you refer too. :D

Its funny how people boast there dogs as either "working dogs", "show dogs", and just plain old "pets".
A dog is a dog & with every litter comes with dogs with different temprements and drive. You can spend thousands on a "working line" pup, but its not going to guarantee you a high drive, submissive, hard working dog. not every pup in the litter is automatically a working dog just because both parents are.
It can work the other way too, there have been plenty of "pet" dogs that have been the best working dogs of there time.

good luck in finding the right one for you. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back