fluoro lights. mesh or no mesh?/??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snowman

Just wondering if anyone has a flouro in their enclosure that they don't cover with a mesh cage? If you use a diffuser there is no where for the snake to sit and get hot or burnt etc....

Snowman.
The snake will curl up around the fluoro tube and quite possibly break it as it coils up to get a hold. Use a cage around it.

Pines

you can make cages out of the 5x5mm gutter guard wire mesh it comes in rolls from bunnings tin snips and lots of cable ties . dont risk burning your snakes for the sake of 10-20 bucks

And for about 30 dollars you can buy a profesional cage

i went to get a cage today but theyre a whooping 70 bucks!!!! so i was looking at these pencil holder thingys that are mesh which would work perfectly but couldnt get the right size. ill probs give the gutter guard mesh a go.

Our Olive used to squeeze under the fluoro and pop them out until I put a cover over it. I'm sure if I didn't cover it he would have broken it eventually

Per

I'd go a cover for sure. Like many have said its the broken shards of glass if he breaks it rather than the heat that would be the problem.

In the past I've had snakes curl around the fluros and pop them. Luckily they didn't get hurt. I have since put covers over all my fluros.

I have recently bought a fluro (CROMPTON DIY SLIMLINE 6W LINKABLE FLUORESCENT FITTING) from buninngs that I liked for a number of reasons:
  1. The light is small but produces plenty of light.
  2. It provides the opportunity to link upto 6 lights on one circuit (one timmer per 6 enclosure).
  3. Being only 6watt gives of very little heat.
  4. It has its own guard preventing direct contact to the tube.
So no mesh for me!

I wasn't too clear in my question I guess.... I meant does anyone use the plastic diffuser over the tube instead of mesh?
D112-Fluorescent-Light.jpg

use a mesh cover and just remove the plastic diffuser as it will block the uv output. my black heads loved the fluro when they were hatchlings then i covered them, it was either a $30- mesh cover or a wasted $1200 snake

Your question was very clear, just that some people don't read much.
If your fluoro is there just for the light, then what you've got there is good. If, however, you want to use a UV tube (for obvious reason), then the diffuser will cut most of the UV rays. In that case, go for a wire cage.

Your question was very clear, just that some people don't read much.
If your fluoro is there just for the light, then what you've got there is good. If, however, you want to use a UV tube (for obvious reason), then the diffuser will cut most of the UV rays. In that case, go for a wire cage.

Thanks mate :) Glad someone reads then!

I don't give my pythons uv so the diffuser will be fine then by the sounds of it.

cheers
Snowy

hey mate i had the diffuser but on the cheaper models they are easily pushed out by a python. the more expensive models seem to be better built like all things. if you can push it out with your hand than i would bet your python wil work at it until it does.
put the money it would cost for a cage towards a better diffused brand and it wil be sweet .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back