ridge tail monitor questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geckos_are_great

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i would realy like to get a ridge tail monitor but dont know much about them i live in melbourne and these are my questions
1.what size tank is needed to house an adult
2.how much do they generally cost
3.what temperature do they need to be kept at
and last can you people on this site post some pics of your set ups on monitors any help would be great.

Ok so

1) If you want to keep a few which is generally for the best i would say a 4 or 5 foot by 2 foot by 3 foot.
2) From what ive seen around 200 to 400? Correct me if im wrong...
3) The appreciate very high basking spot tempretures, around 50 to 60 is what ive seen, also you need to layer the basking spot with different stones for them to hide under in order for them to get the correct tempreture variation.

Hope that helps...

hi,
i only keep a juvie, but hes in a 3foot by 45cm by 45cm ( hes only 20-25cm),
they arnt to expencive, only around $200-$300, and as reptile fan said, they really like there basking spots hot, so around 50-55 is ok
and I will try get some pics of the set up later
cheers malik

Ok so

1) If you want to keep a few which is generally for the best i would say a 4 or 5 foot by 2 foot by 3 foot.
2) From what ive seen around 200 to 400? Correct me if im wrong...
3) The appreciate very high basking spot tempretures, around 50 to 60 is what ive seen, also you need to layer the basking spot with different stones for them to hide under in order for them to get the correct tempreture variation.

Hope that helps...

Not sure what you are trying to say in point 3?? They need to hide under a rock in order to get the right temperature variation??

Back to original question...
I good sized tank for these guys would be a 4x2x2. They love to roam looking for food.
For a hatchie you should expect to pay somewhere around $200-250.
I used to keep them a few years ago. I measured my basking spot with a temp gun and it would get as high as 70degC and they loved it. They would sit under it for a few minutes and dart off when their body temp reached the desired level. You might want to do a search for "ackie stack" both on the forum and google. Ackies love squeezing into tight spaces and the stack provides them with a few tight crevices. Personally I used to use roof tiles stacked on top of each other at 90deg alternates, if that makes sense.

wow im goin to hav to save my money 70degC thats bloody hot as im realy surprised at that

My pair live in an enclosure 1.5m long and 60cm wide. 50cm high. Ther basking spot is almost 70 degrees C. Generally cost around $250

Best pets around, do yourself a favour and get two!

i was surprised about the temp being that high to when i got my Tristis coz i was trying to pick between an Ackie and a Tristis

what reptilefan95 was trying to say in point 3
is that an "Ackie stack" as mentioned by buck should be placed under the heat source.
This creates a gradient in temperature in each of the crevices made by the stack allowing the monitor to choose its desired temp.

There's not a lot to it just high temps lots of hides and lots of food and they'll be happy little monitors

what is the minimum temperature that ackies can have?also anyone got some for sale in vic

Geckos are Great: You need to house acanthurus at about 25 degrees with a very hot basking light in one part of the cage. Very hot means about 70 degrees directly under the lamp on the ground. To achieve this I hang a 60 watt spotlight about 7cm from the floor of the tank, and the goannas climb on each other to get closer to it. You need to make sure the cage doesn't overheat from the basking light.

These lizards need to get stupidly hot whenever they want to, but also need to be able to cool off but not get too cold.

getting a babie ridge tail in 2 weeks off vadnappa just wanna see some enclosures ive looked on google but cant find anything so could u post some pics of your or give me a link.

If you're getting a baby you can just keep it in nally-bin sized enclosure (3 ft fishtank) with a 60-watt spot lamp hanging in there at one end, a whole bunch of shelters throughout and a bit of heat tape underneath on a thermostat to keep the whole cage floor at 24 degrees. Put a flyscreen lid over the top and viola! a cage for young accies. Any variation on this is fine. The important points are simply:
1. Hot basking lamp. Very hot.
2. warm and cool shelters.
3. lots and lots of room to run around

Have a search on this sight there are plenty, there are some great enclosures!

Don't let your dog on your cage ;)

6ft tank, 2 ft wide. Bigmesh lids on top for ventilation- important! Heat tape sert at 25 degrees below sand. Multiple fake burrows and hides below sand plus hollow logs.
IMGP3291 (2).jpg

Last edited:
what about substrate? is red desert sand fine or is there issues with impaction and all that

Never had impaction problems from red sand. If you've ever sorted through faeces from desert species you'll know that half the poo is usually red sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back