Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yewherper

Reaction score
hi,
I was wondering if anyone had a care sheet on lace monitors. Like for how big they are when you can purchase them, how big a set up should be, how often do i need to feed them, substrate etc.
I am only 16 so i have to wait at least 2 years before i can get my class 2, i understand they take a long time to tame and for them to get use to being handle and let out. Also that they can cause alot of damage if they bite or sratch. i was thining that maybe starting off with a smaller type of monitor like a ridge tailed monior or a spencers monitor, would that be a good idea?
Thanks

Yes, it's always best to get some experience with smaller (safer!) monitors before obtaining one of the bigger species.

If you do a search on lace monitors here on APS then you should come across some information regarding their captive care.

Crocdoc is the most respected lace monitor breeder. I believe he provides an indepth care sheet with any hatchling lace monitor purchased from him. If you are still serious about lacies in two years time then I suggested you contact him.

Spencers are still a medium sized monitor.. there body length can get as big as a average lacie just that there tail is short. And they require class 2 in NSW I think.

I have heard alot about crocdoc and watched his vids on youtube. i believe they are great creatures and i want to have some experince b4 i get 1, so i stuff up and make it agressive or anything bad can happen to it, animal first i say.

If you wanted something bigger then a ackie you could try a sand monitor? They are class one but not sure what they are like to keep. I can't think of his name but search the monitor thread there is a bloke who has kept sandies and olives for a while and he could help you out :)

yeah, i DON'T want to stuff up and put the animal at risk because of me. thanks dave i am actuall thinking of getting a sand monitor. by any chance would you no how much a sand monitor would cost?

I think they are around the same as a spencer. $300-$400 you could try and pm Twenty B (I think his name is) He just got some sand monitor hatchies a month or two ago and he could give you the name of the breeder. (He is in NSW I think) and if you search Sand monitor you will find some threads from Reptilian66 which might be useful :)

ok thanks, i might have to wait until next year to get some, parents say i got enough this year already.

Go ackies mate... Tonnes and tonnes of personality, beautiful looking critters and a bit more manageable. I have 2 at the moment and am in love with them.. will upgrade to bigger monitors one day though, hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back