Calling all Canon DSLR users

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

in the past couple of months I have been looking around for a new camera. in the past I have been using dad's Fujifilm FinePix S5600 to take my photos, and I want to upgrade to my own camera lol.

Now, I'm calling all Canon users as I have been tosing up between the Canon 1000D Twin Lense IS and the Canon 450D Twin Lense IS.
Just wanting peoples ideas on what would be better for a beginner :) What have you guys used in the past, and what wouldn't you go for..?

Hope to hear some useful responses :)

Thanks
Trouble

p.s. here are some pics I've taken with dad's Fujifilm finepix...

shrub boarder.jpg

lorri boarder.jpg

possum boarder.jpg

Tawny boarder 2.jpg

Better to buy the camera body only and then get some dedicated lens.The ones that come as part of a kit are not much chop.A macro lens is a must.

It depends on how serious you want to get.
I've got a Cannon EOS1000D (twin lens) kit - no complaints here ! ;)

cheers HK.

Attachments

• 012_wm.jpg
    012_wm.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 149
Hi Trouble,
i own the 1000d with the two lenses, and have been very happy with it and the lenses. yes the lenses are not the best quality but they do take great photo's, i have just purchased a wide angle lens for it and it has been a unreal improvement on the photos i take as i use my camera for work.
At the end of the day you said you were a beginner and the 1000d with the twin lens pack is a great universal camera to get out there and take some great photos with. if down the track you need other lenses, tripods or flash units you can grab them as you gain more experience.
hope this helps, happy snapping!!!

I have the EOS 450D with the Twin lens IS kit.
It works a treat, really simple to use.
There are only a few buttons, which makes it easy.

I bought a 90mm Tamron macro lens and again it is worth it.

I cant fault this set up.

camera

I have the 1000d and a twin lens kit only mine is a 200mm tamron unlike the normal 300mm in the kit this was through teds frankston they were pretty helpful. I'm very happy with the pics.

I bought my camera from the same shop as syxxx, if there's a Ted's near you, pay them a visit.

I swore by the three lenses that came with my Olympus E500 - I know it's not a canon - but Zuiko lenses are pretty awesome quality. Only two years later have I replaced all the standard lenses now with new ones. So I think buying the SLR with 'standard' lenses is a fantastic idea - especially for someone beginning in SLR photography.

Over time, Canon have huge amounts of lenses available and you'll be able to upgrade.

Teds - as Chris said is a good camera store. Though I paid about $50 more for my Olympus E30 (incidentally the BEST camera I have ever owned).

Make sure you join a photography site too (the one I am on redbubble, link below) - it's a great way to get inspired and learn.

Can't wait to see some of your photos :)

Oh - and... Macro lenses are a MUST - I only have two - but the 105mm Macro kicks some.... it's a Sigma 105mm and you can get it for the Canon too.

I also have a 35mm macro - awesome lens - but you need to be much much closer!

I'm a professional photographer and use both film and digital Canon cameras.
For the most part the cheaper canon lenses are still perfectly fine, infact the majority of my published work and images sold are shot with these lenses. Their only issue is that at full zoom they are not as sharp as the pro series.
I can vouch for the Sigma 105 macro aswell. Wonderful lens! See the following shot with this lens.

Attachments

• blowfly.jpg
    blowfly.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 58
  • butterflyinflight.jpg
    butterflyinflight.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 57
  • hoverfly.jpg
    hoverfly.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 50
  • lbtakeoff.jpg
    lbtakeoff.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 56
Thanks heaps for your help guys :)

herpkeeper - thanks for the helpful info, I am leaning towards the 1000D now :)
James_Scott - those are gorgeous pictures :D! Thanks for the point of view from a professional :) helpful.
Blazer - thank you for your info, very helpful :D
Ramsayi - I would've gone the body by itself, but in the long run, the twin lense kit will work out cheaper for me, and cause I suck at saving money, easier too ha ha...
slim6y - thanks for that info, I have joined a couple of photography sites, and they are helpful... just wanted to ask people on this site their points of view cause mostly I'll be taking pictures of my reptiles, and nature pics for friends :)

I will definately be saving up for a macro lense in the near future!

Thanks heaps for your help guys, really appriciated!
And I will post pics once I get it :D

Thanks
Tameah.

Not professional - buts seeing as you cannon buffs are showing off - why not see the 105mm from an Olympus point of view :)

3297918-2-one-drop-is-all-it-takes.jpg

3084006-2-up-close-and-very-personal.jpg

2700171-2-australian-native-honey-bee-i.jpg
By the way, this bee is a native bee, it's less than 5mm big!!!

2772837-2-the-prince-with-a-thousand-enemies.jpg

Not a pro - but all for sale :)

just bought a 50D with the 18-200 IS lens, got no complaints. but like the others have said, buy a body that you like. I was considering the pentax K7 as well. It has in body image stabilisation and HD video recording.

have only done a little playing so far but here are some samples ...

I have a Canon EOS 40D and couldn't be happier. I got the twin lense kit (18-55 IS, and 55-250mm IS), and as everyone has said, they are OK, but the clarity at maximum zoom is not as sharp as I would have liked. I did however purchase a very nice 100mm Canon EF Macro USM lens, which I am very happy with.

Just some photos taken with the IS lenses, and one with the Macro.

PS. The Taipan photo was taken through glass. All images have had no editing apart from being reduced.

Cheers Rossco.

Attachments

• IMG_3413 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_3413 [640x480].JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2183 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_2183 [640x480].JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2191 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_2191 [640x480].JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2463 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_2463 [640x480].JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0556 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_0556 [640x480].JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 33
id go the 1000d, i have the 500d myself. you cant really go wrong with canon. the one reason id go for the 450 would be the 9 point af. but its upto you.

i started with the 400d, that was a great entry level camera, but i soon started to work for a wedding photographer and needed an upgrade. now the only other canon camera i would buy is the 5d Mark II, i know tis probly way outta the price range for starting out, but tis an amazing camera. i currently own a 1d mark III, but im not super happy with it. but i would deffinitly invest in a macro lens, i have tamron 90mm lens, but it is very slow auto focus so requires manual focus, i beleive the camon macro lens have an ultrasonic motor so they would be much faster and probly better.

so yeah i think get the camera that you believe will last u the longest and the best lens :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back