The guns

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Swallow some concrete Moose. I don't get out much either but when I do my boys and I enjoy ourselves and have a great day out whether it is hunting or shooting at the Little River range.

Maybe we whould try and organize a range shoot in the warmer months. I bet you'd get the bug.

Yeah Moose get some concrete into ya!

You know guns are still very suitable for suburbia and kids. How else are you gonna scare your daughters first dates unless you're sitting on the porch cleaning your shotty when he comes to pick her up?!?!

I guess it all ended for me when my house was stormed by two cops waving their 38's around....for godsakes I was only a kid plugging sparrows with an air-rifle I bought off a mate at school :lol: :lol: .....have mercy on me guys! :p (It was the best school holiday fun I'd had in ages! :D )

Yeah yeah, it wouldn't take much for me to catch the bug...I know!! :)

Good stuff with the scope...:)

I hunt, but plan on changing the quarry soon....something bigger...lol ;)

Yeah man it is a laminate stock. Felt way nicer than the synthetic and was cheaper than the walnut. I didn't buy my scope my old man gave it to me, he has had it since the 70's and never used it. I've had it all checked out and it is all still in good order so why spend the money.

What kind of shooting do you plan on doing? Range or hunting?

Exactly right Shamous!!!!

If people were educated in the real facts, i'm sure they would appreciate the job that most hunters are actually doing.
Why do you think the Government have opened up hunting in our State Forests and Crown land? Why...... because they need the help of hunters to eradicate all the ferals that Shamous has mentioned, as it IS a major concern for the Government and REAL conservationists alike.
Hunters don't go out shooting all the native fauna....the ferals go and kill them though or destroy their habitat.
As a herp lover Bulionz, would you not be happy if all feral cats, foxes etc, were wiped out so they couldn't eat all our native lizards snakes, birds etc??? I sure am and I reckon most herp lovers on this site would agree, if they actually knew the damage ferals do!
These are the facts! ;)
Beleive it or not, I love animals, nature and all that goes with that., I call myself a conservationist, not a full on Greeny though Ferals are wiping out our Native animals and ruining our fragile ecosystems...that is a fact

What do you base your comment on. If feral animals are not eradicated then our native population is far mor likely to become extinct. Over the years we have lost countless native frogs, lizards, snakes, marsupials etc etc etc due to FERAL pigs, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc etc etc.

I suggest if you get the chance to go out and see the damage they do then you should. It is a real eye opener. People are generally for hunting or against. I have been out and shoots with scientists studying native wlidlife. We have taken cats that have had 17 lizards in their stomachs.

I target shoot at Little River and I also hunt when ever I can. If I am assisiting in wiping out wild cats, dogs pigs etc then so be it. The truth be told we will never wipe out these animals in the bish as they are too far wide spread.

I loved the look of those, the only thing that turned me off was in every mag that you see they have the barrel and fore end covered because they reflect sunlight so much. But they are verry nice

I loved the look of those, the only thing that turned me off was in every mag that you see they have the barrel and fore end covered because they reflect sunlight so much. But they are verry nice

They are supposed to have that sorted with this model, they have a matte finish to help reduce the reflection.

i am currently restoring a winchester model 67-22 short i got from my mother when she died in feb this year.just about to revarnish the stock sanded it all back looks pretty good raw but needs protection on it so varnish it is was going to oil it but cant be bothered having to re do it all the time .

Wooo!

Got my gun yesterday and first bullet down the spout got me a nice piggy pig. WoowoowWoooo!!!

Nice Gordo,
I am looking at a new .308 myself ATM and am tossing a Remington or a Tikka T3....Hmmm decisions, decisions.

Hi mate,
I have the T3 and it is one of the smoothest rifles that I have ever shot. They punch well above their price range the Tikkas. I bought mine (4-12 leopold and a few other goodies) for less then $1800. It has accounted for everything from Cats, Goats, Scub Bulls and a ****e load of Pigs. The only problem that I see with the T3, is that they only offer a 3 shot mag as standard, with the option of a 5 shot. Not an issue when hunting deer and goats in mountain country down south but I came accross a mob of pigs a few days ago and got 3 shots off. Missed one and dropped two. A friend that I was shooting with was using a Remington 7600 pump in .35 cal with the 10 shot mag. He nailed 8 pigs from 10 shots whilst I was fumbling around trying to reload.

Very nice rifle that you bought Gordo. You cannot go wrong with a Ruger.

Come on where are the piggy pics? Pics or it did'nt happen.:D

Haha i knew this was gonna come up.

Now we didn't get pictures and i'll explain why. The pig was happily munching on some reeds about 10m into a pretty big billabong so when i popped it the happy camper dropped pretty well under the water and all you could see was a little bit of it's body and twitching legs. I would have waided out into the water and retrieved my kill except in that billabong i spooked our 5th salty of the day which happened to be the biggest one of the day too lol.

I even walked to the edge of the water and was trying to pluck up some courage to go and get it but i just couldn't do it.

Was an absolute blast though. It was a reasonable size pig, my mate recons around the 70kg mark and the shot was from about 60m. I'm surprized i managed to hit it cause i was so nervous and shaking lol. I think i managed a pretty good shot though, for most of the time it was facing me and kept putting its head under the water so i couldn't get a clear head shot. I waited till it broad sided me and then BAM! and it dropped. I'm pretty pleased with myself.

well, being as this thread is loaded with gun-nuts, lol. I'm looking at getting into firearms/hunting etc. what would be a good rifle for a beginner?

Me and friend will be going for our gun licenses soon. We've both been shooting guns for nearly 10 years each..
My dad has a fair few guns, so we go shooting a fair bit, yet only go to one property out at Moonie, Qld. Good fun shooting out there, quite alot of pigs, foxes, and loads of hairs.. cant wait till im old enough to drive and own a gun, will be doing alotta shooting then!

well, being as this thread is loaded with gun-nuts, lol. I'm looking at getting into firearms/hunting etc. what would be a good rifle for a beginner?

Depends what you wanna use it for hunting or targets? If hunting to kill what? Different calibers are meant for different things. If targets what are you interested in fire power or long range accuracy? Same with hunting would you wanna blow your kill to pieces and have a huge loud bang, or risk a quieter more accurate rifle that you really need to know what you doing and where to hit exactly? How often would you use it?

Good all rounder beginner calibers are probs 17HMR, .22 & .223 for targets,rabbits & foxes. 22-250, 243, .308 for larger game & longer range targets.
The not so beginner calibers which are more pricey and run better if you reload the ammo yourself, & need to know a little more then just to point & shoot are .17, .204 & .222 for small varmin at long ranges, .220, .30-06 for larger game a longer distances

Then you need to find a brand of rifle your comfortable using and match it with the caliber you want.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Jimmy

Pretty good advice Jimmy. For a first time shooter I wouldn't go to big. Like Jimmy said, .223, 22-250 or 243. Get a feel for pulling the trigger and know what you are doing before going to big.

Don't be cheap either, be prepared to spend a few grand on your setup. Trust me the money is well spent.

If you have not done much shooting get a good quality second hand 22 and practice shooting targets. 22 amo is cheap and you will not spend much $ practicing. If you start with a larger gun you may develop a flinch due to the recoil and noise. When you are ready get a smaller centrefire like a 222 or 223. 204's are good but much more expensive if you are not reloading yourself.

You could go for something bigger but be careful you dont develp a flinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back