Pythons and Security Alarms

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood Mason

Not so new Member
Reaction score
G'day,
My house got broken into on the weekend. Luckily nothing too valuable got taken and they didn't touch my pythons, or dragons (Little bastards emptied my entire freezer except the rats and took an Xbox and that was about it).

However, it has prompted me to put in a burglar alarm at home.

The bloke at the alarm shop recommended a pet-safe sensor that is specially made to not go off when pets walk around the house. I explained that all of my pets are housed in enclosures and don't walk around the house but they do have heatlamps turning on and off throughout the day. He was not sure how this affects the sensors and recommended that I buy the (more expensive) pet-safe ones anyway just in case.

Just wondring if anyone out there who keeps herps with heatlamps and has an alarm system at home without pet-safe sensors has ever had any problems with false alarms etc that they could attribute to the heatlamps or the motion of their slippery friends?

Any feedback or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Doug

i work in a monitoring center.

just get motion sensors, heat lamps wouldnt set them off.
you can get door/ window sensors, etc. if door is opened/ window smashed, you will know.

I work for a local security company doing mobile patrols and alarm responses. Alarm systems wont stop people breaking in, even if the screamer goes off it wont bother them, just means they have less time to spend looking for things to take. Better off getting a large dog.

I'd go to a new alarm shop, if the only recommendation your current shop can give is to buy dearer sensors because they might work better.Ideally use someone who knows if they DO work rather than only MIGHT.

Sorry to hear you got robbed :(

Thank Goodness they didn't touch any reptiles...they must have gotten a shock to find rats in your freezer!!

That really sucks, but lucky they didn't take much mate. I think the best thing in my opinion depending on where you live and if your allowed to or not is get a big dog (rescue one from the shelter). I have two and the bond is very strong, they hate strangers. Also looking into those security alarms and or cameras that ring your mobile soon as something happens & live stream video or just sends you a text saying that something is wrong. That way you can either get home, call the cops or call a neighbour or friend to inspect. It also provides you with some form of evidence.

All the best with it.

If it was my freezer the bag of human hands would have been enough of a deterant.... However motion detectors will work fine, they don't monitor through glass (enclosures) and variances in temperature don't set them off. (And they are cheap to install.)

If you are looking at a system with motion sensing capabilities, ask about dual techs from your supplier/ installer.

Cheers for the responses people.

Yeah, I would have thought the rats would freak them out too but apparently not.

I just wish they had opened the yellow-spotted monitor's enclosure coz he probably would have ripped one of their fingers off!!!

I would love to get a dog but realistically that is a big commitment financially and time-wise. That's why I like pythons coz as long as you make sure they have fresh water and a clean cage you can go away on holiday for a week and not worry about them.

I think I'll put in an alarm anyway as a bit of a detterant. I've also put up a bunch of sensor lights outside and I've got home & contents insurance now so at least I'm covered if they take anything.

My missus has a big dog but she doesn't live with me. Maybe I should borrow him for a while.....;)

Cheers,
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back