Beardie set up help plz

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddlefish

Not so new Member
Reaction score
ok.. So i want to set up my 4ft tank for a beardie.. Im new to the whole good ol world of reptiles and have been browsing as many internet sites as i can.. books etc. .but what one place says is ok, another place might say is not. I use to keep my oscar fish in the tank but sadly after 7yrs he passed away.. ive cleaned the tank out well n have it sittin in the sun to dry out properly.. Is this all i need to do to make sure its free of any nasties? I plan to get my other half to do a bit of DIY work to the lid cos i understand you cant use glass as it blocks out the uv, so was ditching the glass in favor for wire mesh...Anyone have any recommendations on where i can get it from?? Just normal hardware store?? Whats the best thing for a substrate that can still look natural? I hear any types of sands/gravels are no no's because of the risk of ingestion while feeding, but i kinda like the dry desert look.. What do you guys use and recomend?
Any hints/ tips/ pictures of their own set ups etc that anyone can give In a dumbed down,point form of what i need, yes im kinda slow, and learn better from doin it myself, or seeing pictures, diagrams kinda way would be muchly appreciated :p:oops: Im still a good few months away from getting him/her as it will be my Christmas/b'day present to myself, but just want to take my time setting it up to make sure i learn everything possible i can n have everything perfect a few weeks to a month before i do bring my new baby home.
:)

dexters-tank-14777.jpg

this is my mates, hope it helps.

Awesome set up
I like it
So u never have had any problems with sand as a substrate and feeding??
Or do u take em out to feed em?

Heres my tempary enclosure till Safiras bigger one is ready.
2922769250105234456S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
ok so ima gonna ask a reallllyyy stupid question here
but why are there 2 heat lamps?? is 1 to provide heat during the day and one for providing heat at night without too much light??:oops:
someone needs to explain the whole heating the tank too me in like reallly simple point form treat me like an idiot kinda way hehe:oops::oops:

Awesome set up
I like it
So u never have had any problems with sand as a substrate and feeding??
Or do u take em out to feed em?

nah i have never had a problem with sand at all. with the lighting beardies love to bask so thats what one of the lights are for and the other is for heat. i have 3 heat lamps in mine with a basking light and uv tube as well. my tank is quite large so it needs three lights to get the temp even, as the basking light is kinda like a spot heater. often after they feed they will bask for an hour or 3 depending on how they feel.

So a basking light alone wont provide enough heat to keep one side of the tank at the right temp during the day??
Im just tryin to get my head around if i need to have like a ceramic heat emitter/light + a basking light + a red night time bulb to keep it warm enough for him/her
keeping in mind I also live on the gold coast n it doesn't get very cold at all even in the middle of winter.. (like still slept with my window) i think we had maybe like 2weeks of temps at night droppin to maybe 9degees at night outside but the last 2 weeks of winter during the day we have had 30/32 degree days lol

i know they sound like stupid questions
lol:oops:

on the measuring of my old tank i have discovered it 4ft x 1.2ft by 1.2ft
this will be just that lil bit to small for a adult beardie correct? As i read u should not go any smaller then 4x2x2....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back