Pest Control

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Juno

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just after a bit of info regarding pest control and what you do with your herps when you have it done.

As part of our lease have the house sprayed yearly. It's coming up in October and so I thought I'd get in early and figure out what precautions we need to take when we get sprayed. We've only got the one snake (a 6 month old Bredli) which is in a click clack if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

hi i used to do pest control and the stuff they use indoors these days basically has no smell to it so it wont harm animals or humans at all. i used to spray bedrooms with baby's sleeping in there.
obviously if it was to be sprayed onto the animal it wouldnt be good but other than that i wouldn't worry.
michael.

There are a number of people on this forum who would not agree with that.
A lot of people have asked what do I do with my snake the pest man said it would not harm the snake but when I got home it was rolling around in the cage and acting weird.
Take the snake away from the house for 24hrs.
Frosty7 perhaps you came across some really dumb people, Why would you let a pest controller spray a poison in a room where your babie was sleeping. And Frosty7 why would you put a child at risk I am sure that regulatory authoritites would not say this is ok. Think people why do responsible Pest controlers have masks and gloves.

Not long ago there was a post about a person who was told it wouldn't affect the snake, but it killed it. Just relocate the snake for 24 hours just to be safe. A mates house or something you can take it to?

You are better off removing the animals from the house for the day. Once the pest spray has been sprayed, open all doors and windows to air the place out and give the animals enclosure a really good clean with disenfectant and then wipe out with warm water. Repeat if you have to.

Ok then, no worries. I'll take it over to my parent's place for the day. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks everyone :)

ive heard horror stories of people being told that the spray wont hurt their reptiles only to find sick and dead animals with-in a few days of their house being sprayed. there is no way that i would have my place sprayed while my animals were in my house. if i had to spray id remove all for at least a week just to be sure all was safe

I put mine in pillow cases and put them in a washing basket and took them over to my mum's for the day.

Take the snake away from the house for 24hrs. .

I strongly agree, better safe than sorry

Frosty7 perhaps you came across some really dumb people, Why would you let a pest controller spray a poison in a room where your babie was sleeping. And Frosty7 why would you put a child at risk I am sure that regulatory authoritites would not say this is ok.

:shock: I can't say what i think about both the pest controller or the parents, it would be deleted by the Mods..

Think people, why do responsible Pest controlers have masks and gloves.

For the same reason Radiologist step behind a wall and wear lead aprons when you have an xray done, constant daily exposure, Pest controllers are exposed to more chemical in a week than you would in your entire life having your house sprayed weekly.

actually pest controllers dont wear masks while spraying inside because its a different chemical to whats used outside. i agree if its just in a click clack remove it but i can tell you from my experience it would not harm it.just giving my opinion i knew my reply would get comments like that but hey everyone seems to be an expert on everything on this site.
not sure if you have any experience in the industry winnie but your spraying a liquid on the skirting boards not fumigating the whole house.
anyway best of luck miss juno.

You are right frosty7, pest controllers dont HAVE to wear masks while spraying inside, and yes, it is a different chemical to whats used outside,

Just because someone of authority says its 'safe' doesnt mean you shouldn't err on the side of caution. Some make a choice to wear masks just because of the constant exposure. after all, it wasn't so long ago that people use to have children in smoke filled rooms, or cars, and building with and drilling asbestos was normal...... ........

If the chemical is safe why does it carry the warning to 'cover aquariums' ???? i assume you use the same chemical as the major pest control companies ???

why take the risk, remove all living things from the house and let it air out for a couple of hours.....

of course if thats convenient get out for a while but if not there's no problem being there.
just my opinion,not going to comment on it anymore.
cheers.

Well Frosty7 if you stopped making statements like:
"the stuff they use indoors these days basically has no smell to it so it wont harm animals or humans at all"
then you wouldn't learn anything...

FYI:
a r s e n i c is colorless, tasteless, and odourless poison
carbon monoxide - odorless poison

I'd like to see someone argue that they are 'harmless'

Be safe, Not sorry......

like I said everyone's an expert. I gave my opinion on what I know about the topic from experience. if you want to give another opinion that's fine. this is not my thread so why don't you give your opinion to the person who asked the question instead of trying to pick apart my opinion.i didn't give my opinion to get in an argument.

miss_Juno asked for some information, i thought she might like
more than one version of that information

Sorry guys, gotta put my 2 cents worth in here. I have worked with many chemicals over the last 20+ years, so many of these chemicals were classed as 'safe' no precautions needed. It is only now after many years have passed that they are now being redefined as UNSAFE. Not having an odour does NOT make a chemical safe, nor does lack of colour. The most dangerous chemical in use in my line of work is Hydraflouric acid, which is used to remove rust, it is colourless, inert, scentless, yet once it gets on your skin, it turns bone to jelly by removing calcium. This once was designated safe to use without safety gloves and glasses.
My personal opinion is that if it's designed to kill something, be it mould, weeds, or whatever, then precautions need to be used, it's got to do some sort of damage, if not now then the chance is that 10, 15, 50 years down the track it will be deemed dangerous

Last edited:
Omg....who in their right mind would stay in a house full of spray?? Get out! Why take a risk if you don't have to?? Poison is poison, colourless, tasteless, odourless or whatever! Still can & does kill. :rolleyes: It is, after all, designed to isn't it??

I don't have my house sprayed, ever. I know plenty of people who have lost herps directly after having it done even though they were told their reptiles would be safe. I also prefer not to kill everything around the house, nothing alive bothers me, but dead things do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back