Hendra Virus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So we've all heard that the Rockhampton vet who contracted Hendra virus has passed away, and I thought I'd make a little thread. Just basically saying how tragic his death is (and all others who have died from Hendra).. This is a huge deal, especially in the veterinary world, and it's very scary and close to home for us veterinary students.

We certainly hope that they work out more about this terrifying virus before it takes or ruins anymore lives. It's highly fatal, and if it doesn't kill you it makes you completely different to what you were.. It's also paritcularly worrying as so little is known about it and how to help people who have contracted it.

RIP Dr Rogers and all my condolences to his family who must be going through hell.. He died doing what he loved with no regrets I'm sure, but this tragedy certainly deserves some recognition.

Cheers
Phil

..are you serious?

Henipavirus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought this was huge news.. Perhaps only in Queensland. Anyway it's scary as hell..

Basically horses get it from fruit bats, people get it from horses. The fatality rates are huge for both horses and people with awful clinical signs... No vaccine for it, no cure for it.

yep im serious, im not training to be a vet am i lol
So only people who are training to be vets should know about zoonotic diseases? Ever heard of swine flu? :rolleyes:

Sorry if I sounded rude, I just thought this would be more widely known.

So only people who are training to be vets should know about diseases that affect animals? Ever heard of swine flu? :rolleyes:

14 yr old non vet training students may be a little in the dark on this issue, but I agree not nice at all.

p.s. no vet training here;).

So only people who are training to be vets should know about zoonotic diseases? Ever heard of swine flu? :rolleyes:

Im sure alot of 14 year olds arnt to interested in disease and news. I knew about it, those damn horses!:lol:

My heart goes out to all those affected by Hendra

I am nothing to do with the veterinary side of things but a major part of my life has been with horses

and I guess more people own horses than keep reptiles so it's huge and scary

The worst thing is the Vets that look after our animals have to pay the ultimate price we can only hope no one

else suffers this horrible virus

PhilK,
I have never heard of it either and I majored in microbiology and genetics.
It's not just 14yr olds who missed the memo.

After reading the link the virus is more familiar to me as Equine morbillivirus.
Though I am dreadging up vague memories from a lecture that was more focussed on things such as Ross river virus, psittacosis etc.

Yeah, Tragic news, people should make themselves aware of what it is.. but basically, it's a form a Rabies..so to speak... bats, horses... and humans... bad bad bad...

this is the second horse infection in as meny years and with the swin flu this year also.
i was wanting this year to be the better one of the last 4 years i think it has been now.
and next year well we will just have to wait and see as its the year of the cock.
the disabled boy from brisbane that died from the swin flu this year was from one of my schools very sad times when it happens so my heart goes out to the vets family and friends.

The veterinary community (and the horsie people too I assume) are all pretty worried about it, especially those who want to work with horses (like me).. They're putting lots of precautions in place with the AVA, but realistically we can't attend every sick horse call in full protective gear can we?

They reckon a vaccine is still at least 5 years away too, and the virus is so sporadic with its emergence that anyone could get it anytime and have no warning. Shudder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back