newbie vegetarian

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to be vegetarian when I was 6 and due to iron deficiency around the age of 15 my dietitian recommended I started eating some form of meat so I've been eating chicken. I moved out at 17 and coming on 20 have been cooking for myself for the past 3 years so if you want any food ideas send me a pm. I agree with going to the doctor to have a blood test then see a nutritionist to get some ideas about what food can substitute red meat (they have really good ideas) then go back for another blood test 3ish months down the tract to see if there has been any changes. I'm currently on iron tablets daily and have blood tests every 3 months and i'm healthier than most people my age :D

I have blood tests occasionally, and all my iron levels etc. are above average.

I love nothing more than the sanitarum vegie products. My faves is the vegie bacon, and deli slices!!!

Just a question, how are you classed as a vegetarian if you eat chicken? or fish for that matter... theres no difference between chickens, fish, sheep and cattle, they're all animals...

I love nothing more than the sanitarum vegie products. My faves is the vegie bacon, and deli slices!!!

So you eat stuff that tastes like meat? Kinda funny don't you think? :lol: ....it'd be exactly like a meat-eater biting into a rump steak and thinking "my god this tastes like delicious broccoli!!" .......:p ...I mean, don't hold back on something you'd like to eat :lol: ....Nothing better in this world than a 3inch thick rump steak washed down with a terrific beer! :D

I get your point...but I couldn't live with myself if I bit into a dead animal...And there are lots of types of vegetarian. i personally wouldn't classify someone who eats meat or seafood, but tachnically...

I don't class myself as vegetarian... I decided to be vegetarian and lasted 10 years until I was told that I had to eat meat... so now I just clasify myself as someone who "the only meat I eat is chicken". And with the vegie bacon or not sausages it was an easy alternative for my mum so that when they had hotdogs she could just chuck a not sausage in there so I didn't feel left out as a child and have grown up to love the stuff... I cant remember the taste of red meat but most people think my fake alternatives taste like rubber so it doesn't try to mimic the taste of real meat (i think it tastes great but :D).

I can't remember the taste of any meat anymore...and if I die, a dog probably would come and eat me.

i have been a vegetarian for about 7 years now. i dont see the point in going half way and eating chicken... if you honestly care for animals it shouldnt matter if its a chicken or a cow. if you are wanting to be a good little vegetarian be prepared to read every single food packet out there kiss lollies goodbye. if you look on the vegie delights website they email you once a month with decent recepies. eat lots of spinache mushrooms kidney beans tofu and all that good stuff. and soy milk mmmmm... i have blood tests every 2nd year and have never had a problem. you need to think this through more. animal products are in alot of medication and addedtives in food. and if your not prepared to go the full distance dont claim to be one. their are many good products out there to subsitute eggs and cheese and most of them taste pretty good. if you do need any help feel free 2 chuck us a message. vegetarian food is alot of fun you wont regret making the change

tehehe
thats the best thing about havin another half thats a full blown vegetarian.. All tho he will eat cheese as long as it doesn't contain animal rennet, and he will drink organic milk..
The lollies n chocolate
I never have to share hehehe

probably different circiumstances Asharee... I'm 20 and I'm not allowed to cook meals (mother if highly possesive of her kitchen)... I have never been taught and get taunted by my own parentals if they DO actually let me have a try at it...

Geez, that's a bit tough, you have to learn somewhere and best place to do it is at home.

i have been a vegetarian for about 7 years now. i dont see the point in going half way and eating chicken... if you honestly care for animals it shouldnt matter if its a chicken or a cow. if you are wanting to be a good little vegetarian be prepared to read every single food packet out there kiss lollies goodbye. if you look on the vegie delights website they email you once a month with decent recepies. eat lots of spinache mushrooms kidney beans tofu and all that good stuff. and soy milk mmmmm... i have blood tests every 2nd year and have never had a problem. you need to think this through more. animal products are in alot of medication and addedtives in food. and if your not prepared to go the full distance dont claim to be one. their are many good products out there to subsitute eggs and cheese and most of them taste pretty good. if you do need any help feel free 2 chuck us a message. vegetarian food is alot of fun you wont regret making the change
..I think you are confusing vegan and vegetarian?

how so my suggestions for cheese alternative? alot of cheese contain rennet. geletine is another one in alot of food. i suggested the egg subsitute only because eggs freak me out.

i gota to admit in the 4 years i was a vego, i only got sick once... that too was just a cold that lasted 2 days... spose now im paying the price for eating meat ha... i just can't resist it ha

i tried to go vego last year i spent a week researching recipes. i think i lasted like 4 hours until my mum slammed a blue steak down in front of me and i just couldnt resist, my willpower isnt that strong

I read every food packet before eating the contents, and i'm careful about animal rennet. The rennnet is intestines right??

I read every food packet before eating the contents, and i'm careful about animal rennet. The rennnet is intestines right??

It's not exactly intestines, it is an enzyme derived from the stomach lining of cows/sheep.

Apparently it was discovered when Arabic traders put their milk supply into bags made of sheep's stomachs to transport them on long journeys. After a day sloshing about in the hot sun, mixing with the rennet, the milk had turned to cheese - hence the discovery of cheesemaking! Then that knowledge travelled up through North Africa to Southern Europe, and eventually to the French who perfected it!

I think the difference between bears eating meat and humans eating meat is that humans have the capacity to reason about ethics and have greater access to a wide variety of foods that can fulfil their dietary requirements. Yes this might require some initial effort to educate yourself about what to eat to stay healthy, but this is really quite easy. I am vegetarian and have been since I was very young, and I am healthy and play sport at an elite level. The illnesses and diseases suffered by people eating way too much meat are far more serious than the illnesses caused by people not eating meat at all.

Regarding abattoirs, the killing of animals is in some instances adequately regulated, but the living conditions of animals certainly are not adequately provided for in legislation (if they are provided for at all).

You are wrong PhilK, there is not enough regulation. Most regulation basically leaves it up to the industry to create codes of practice, and of course the industry does whatever reaps the highest profits. Look at Voiceless.com which is an animal protection group with many lawyers as members, and their reports... these people actually know about the legislation and its interpretation.

Farm animals are generally exempt from animal welfare legislation. Pigs have their tails cut off without anaesthetic, sheep and pigs are sterilised (male ones) without anaesthetic...I can't believe that that doesn't hurt. They scream and cry when it happens, and their stress levels have been shown to be very elevated for a long time afterwards. Pigs are kept in cages so small they can barely move. Veal calves are kept in very small cages so that they don't develop muscles to make the meat too tough, and are given artificial diets lacking in what they need, just to make the meat taste better. Male chicks in chicken farms are often put straight into shredding machines.

Many animals used in the meat industry are social animals and animals that fossick or graze. Keeping them segregated in tiny enclosures and preventing them from behaving naturally is very cruel.

Even though she is still eating some meat, at least she is doing her bit to prevent cruelty. Better than nothing.

The majority of meat available for sale in Australia is meat that comes from animals that have been treated in a cruel way. That is a fact and it is sad that so many people convince themselves otherwise and tell their wrongly held opinions to others, further prolonging the existing ignorance on these issues. Yes there are a small number of farms producing meat that do not treat their animals that way, but they are a very minute minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back