Best guard dog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

King_of_lizardz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
ok ...my property has been broken into twice and i dont want it to happen again.
iv had dogs all my life ,previously had a great dane but the way they run is just weird i think.
so what type of dog do you think should be guarding our herps? i like the look of bull terriers but are they to short ? bull mastiffs i like ,my friend has a couple and ther pretty awesome guard dogs with a pretty intimidating bark...but i just cant make up my mind.

so what type of breed would you get to guard your property ? i need a serious dog that no one would want to mess with and is totally legal.

Cheers

Last edited:
I love Rotties, so I would probably get one of those. However, mastiffs are pretty cool dogs too.

I have the best of both, he is a Mastiff/ Rotty and fantastic with the kids and anyone I invite in, but if someone he doesn't know tries to comes in, then it's a different story.
To us he's just a massive 80kg sook, but no one else would guess that when they see him.

i would have to say a Shar pei, our girl is the best dog/gaurd dog we have ever had, there great with people always wanting to play but once dark comes at our house if anyone just walks past the drive way she goes mental barks like crazy but other wise never barks for anyother reason.

mastiff's can be big wosses :D
dobermans are the best dogs! there quick, agile, loyal, couragous, smart, efficent hunters, great to train ect.. my dad's friends has 2 of them, there great with kidsc and are excellent guard dogs! best dogs you can have! get a doberman!

It depends if you want an 'alert dog' or a 'chew a theifs leg off dog'. I have a very small house block and had to get a small dog, I eventally went with a Miniature Pinscher. The best alert dog I have ever had. Compact and smart, if anyone approaches the house he lets us know, his barks is MUCH louder than his bite (and physical size). Looks like a 1/4 scale model of a Domerman.

It depends if you want an 'alert dog' or a 'chew a theifs leg off dog'. I have a very small house block and had to get a small dog, I eventally went with a Miniature Pinscher. The best alert dog I have ever had. Compact and smart, if anyone approaches the house he lets us know, his barks is MUCH louder than his bite (and physical size). Looks like a 1/4 scale model of a Domerman.

Have you got pics of your mini Pinsch? I love dobermans but i want to know what a proper mini P looks like.

Depends on how big your bank account is and if you got a good lawyer ,for when your dog attacks someone (even on your own property) and they sue you ....

You just want an alert dog that lets you know someone is there ..you dont need a killing machine to make that point ..this is where the cross over mistake happens ..guard dogs ,make great guard dogs ...but when guard duty is over they should be caged away ..pet dogs are just that ,social animals that interact with humans happily and will still let you know if someone is there..if they really want to break into your home mate ,a dog is not gonna stop them ..you will end up with a dead dog and home still broken into ..
get an alarm system and security lights ,if your that worried .

Or a brown patrolling the backyard.. When they get bitten and die you can claim its a wild one. Hahahahaa

Have you got pics of your mini Pinsch? I love dobermans but i want to know what a proper mini P looks like.

Here you go, taken today, 10 months old and 30cm high. He is from the best breeder in Aus, dosen't look like much of a guard dog, but he gets the job done.

TheDex2.jpg

TheDex3.jpg

TheDex4.jpg

TheDex.jpg

Not sure if you get them here, but in my opinion you can't go past a 'Boerboel' (similar to a bullmastiff) Boerboel history

I'd also get a little jack russell as a partner as they are so alert and will work well with the boerboel.

Rhodesian Ridgebacks i have to say win it hands down! They have a loud and deep bark. Big Dogs. Can look agressive but not very often. Bark at every noise they hear. They where used in Zimbabwe(Rhodesia) to hunt lions in packs and apparently they were used to keep Zimbabweans off the white mens property. so i was told. I Have 1 and he does the best job he scares everyone, the only let down is that if the person wasnt scared by how he looks and sounds and ran at the dog. the ridgy wouldnt hurt anyone so it would hide and be scared. other than that great guard dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back