Python Hunting Expanded

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Published On: 04-Sep-09 11:35 AM
Source Site: Herper.com Blog

Licensed hunters will be allowed to hunt pythons in certain parts of the Everglades. (News source.)
8347268697491121998-8686913127569172499

Go to Original Article

its sad to hear about the snakes that will be killed but the snakes i hear are really running a muck over there,eating everything native so i can see why its happening

They are a problem, they are surplus to demand so killing them is the most practical solution. Its not much differant to kiling cane toads in Australia, other than possibly being more effective.

Innocent lives lost because of the mistakes of pig-headed humans.

I completely agree. If humans never introduced animals out of their natural habitat zone, it's our fault, not the snakes, so why should they be killed:cry:

I completely agree. If humans never introduced animals out of their natural habitat zone, it's our fault, not the snakes, so why should they be killed:cry:

Despite the fact that a certain idiot administration had it removed, the Florida Everglades were and will be again, a world heritage listed site. Humans caused an environmental problem? I assure you moaning about how dumb people are will not solve the problem. The pythons now infesting this area are a monumental threat and the single best way to reduce that threat is to go in and physicall cull them. That said, the problem there is now likely permanent but as it sits, a cull is about the only yhing they can do at the moment.

The fact is these snakes are not native to the area,,they have an impact on the native animals including reptiles...and as much as its a sad situation sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind ...it just hits home alot harder to us snake loving people when their involved ...we in this country have had to cull animals for similiar problems that affect our native animals ...like the fox the rabbit/hare ,camels ,donkeys,buffalo,cats ,dogs ,cane toads etc ..animal rights people have shunned us for killing these creatures too .

I'm one of those animal rights people.

(This message is not directed solely at vege_head but at anyone who thinks it is wrong to kill introduced pests for the sake of saving entire populations, even species of native organisms.)

Then you are a fool. Animal rights activists never seem to be able to look at the big picture. They arent just killing these animals because they come from somewhere else, they are killing them because these individuals are destroying the native species. Protection of species should ALWAYS come before protection of individuals so as to ensure the greatest possible biodiversity in any given area, however given that many animal liberationists have absolutely no scientific background and only go as far as reading PETA pamphlets for research they are unable to see this far ahead.

Incidentally, someone mentioned the cane toad, do you also think they should be left alone because it is cruel to cull them?

Also....BIOLOGICAL CONTROL?!?! You realise what you are talking about is introducing MORE possible pest species or painful viruses into the population? How is this better than culling? On one hand you may have a new pest predator killing all the natives, on the other you may have a virus that is MORE painful to the individuals than being shot and could possibly transfer to native species.

Build up some ACTUAL scientific knowledge on the subject and then you may be eligible to comment on these situations.

I am all for animal rights, they shouldn't be abused or mistreated and should be killed humanely when necessary. Vege_head I'm afraid you are extremely naive which at your age you are allowed to be, Burmese Pythons and to a lesser extent Boa Constrictors are causing real problems in the Everglades and the offending animals need to be removed by whatever humane methods are appropriate.
I have been to the Everglades, it is an amazing place and needs to be protected at all costs. The feeling you get seeing Alligators just cruising along literally just off the side of the road is hard to describe and these introduced animals are threatening their existence.
You need to wake up and understand that sometimes animals need to be killed for the greater good and this is one of those occasions.

Biological control? Give us an example. I'll give you one: Cane toads introduced to Australia in 1935 to control Cane Beetle infestation. Didn't even get rid of the dang beetles.

Another completely stupid idea, pandering to idiots.

For one, how do you 'hunt' a snake?

'Oh, there's one curled up on a branch sunning itself, quick hand me the 12g before it escapes or even worse, attacks us.' BOOOOOOOM 'Damn, good shot Billy-Joe, that was close'

Actually hunting them with guns is probably the best way of dealing with them given the makeup of the Everglades, it wouldn't always be possible to walk up to the snake and hit it over the head. Lets not forget these are often well in excess of 12 or 14 feet in length and as big around as a mans thigh and it isn't like walking through the bush and stuffing them in a bag.

Certain parts of Florida are subject to severe and violent hurricanes, eg. Katrina, which wreak havoc and severe widespread damage.

You only need one pet shop in that region to be destroyed, and the animals escape to begin a wild breeding process.

Large pythons have escaped in storms like that before and thrived in the Florida Everglades.

Honestly, I have never met so much as a semi-intelligent animal rights person. Certainly, animals should never be unnecessarily exposed to pain or suffering, but when it comes to managing pest species, you would think logic would be seen?

The questions I ask to animal rights people:
(1) Your child comes home with headlice. Do you kill the lice and let them live in your child's hair because it's not their fault they ended up there?
(2) Your house is being eaten by termites. Do you kill the termites or let them go to eat the framework and run their course before coming back and rebuilding once they're finished? I'd hope the latter, because killing the poor, innocent little termite and his colony is horrible isn't it?

If you wanna see an insightful, yet entertaining bit of footage, watch the link below. Gotta love Penn and Teller.
[video=youtube;0exLa6saV9o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0exLa6saV9o[/video]

I don't agree with many PETA ideas. In my opinion, they are not logical, and their arguments are not based on fact. But I beleive in biological control. Making the males infertile, so they cannot reproduce. It worked with desert moths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back