Python Hunting Expanded

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...But I beleive in biological control. Making the males infertile, so they cannot reproduce.
Making them sterile is NOT biological control mate haha. You need to know what the things you "believe in" actually are.

define:biological control - Google Search

Making them infertile is most certainly not biological control. Look it up and see what is involved in it mate.

Honestly, I have never met so much as a semi-intelligent animal rights person.
Agreed

Biological control would be ideal in instances where it can be applied where the control will be both effective and not have a significant impact on the ecosystem. However, these are few and far between (ie Cactus moth).

I would be extremely interested to hear what method of biological control anybody would suggest for controlling Burmese Pythons? In this instance and with this form of animal, I don't believe sterilising males nor releasing a pathogen that is species-specific would be viable.

huh...looks like I don't know what i'm talking about, oh well. you live, you learn :)

Research is currently underway to develop genetically engineered viruses that can sterilize pest animals. The technique, known as viral-vectored immunocontraception (VVIC), promises to control mammalian pests such as the European rabbit, the house mouse and domestic cats. "From that link".

I see where you are coming from vege_head, i too hate to hear of any animals being hunted and slaughtered. And the thought of all those beautiful big Burms dying at the hands of hunters is a sad thought indeed but at the moment it is the only way to reduce the massive damage they are doing to the entire Everglades eco system.

It is a sad situation indeed, one the rest of the world needs to learn from.

Rights are for humans. I do not believe in animal rights but animal welfare. So as long as the pythons are culled in a humane manner then I see nothing wrong with what they are doing. The only problem with this is deciding exactly what is humane.....

Look at it from the bright side, a 18 foot retic will feed a family of toothless hillbillies for a week, and they can even make themselves snakeskin socks.

Certain parts of Florida are subject to severe and violent hurricanes, eg. Katrina, which wreak havoc and severe widespread damage.

You only need one pet shop in that region to be destroyed, and the animals escape to begin a wild breeding process.

Large pythons have escaped in storms like that before and thrived in the Florida Everglades.

The majority of these large snakes were actually purchased by American families wanting a cool pet. That cool pet then gets bigger and bigger before becoming too big to handle. They then take a drive to the everglades and dump the snake.

Granted that animals have escaped in Huuricanes such as Katrina but the majority are let loose by irresponsible pet owners.

Unfortunately this has to be done. I'm all for it as long as things such as Boa belts or boa boots do not start being sold as a result but I guess it's the US and anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back