Best guard dog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget the dog........Maybe you should get a crocodile to guard your herp room;)

That dog looks a little bit like a wolf....I would not like to be chased by that thing!!!:shock:

Hehe It was trick photography, he used to bark at my other dog, and thats what mid-bark looked like.
Although he was a schitzo, and a pound dog. Once he learnt how to jump a fence he got into fights with other dogs and went loopy.. I had to put him down.

[QUOTE=JungleRob;1524236]Not sure if you get them here, but in my opinion you can't go past a 'Boerboel' (similar to a bullmastiff) Boerboel history

I'd also get a little jack russell as a partner as they are so alert and will work well with the boerboel.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Thanks JungleRob for letting me know of this breed. I had never heard of them before. They sound just right. The only comment I read that would make me hesitate was the following...

"I have read about some breeds that will supposedly pin and intruder to the ground but won't bite unless absolutely necessary. The Boerboel is not such a breed. If someone is foolish enough to invade his territory or attack one of his family, a good Boerboel will definitely put the person in hospital"

Yes they are available in Australia
Ataraxia
Dandaloo Boerboels

[QUOTE=cosmicwolf4;1524316]I do have some of him when he was a puppy, but you can see his colours. I need to upload the others to this pc.
He really is just the best dog, fantastic with the kids and the other animals.
He looks like a rotty in colour, but has the mix in the body shape.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pic. Little cutie for sure!

lol they are one of the best and most reputable, have spoken with them previously in regards their dogs and services, couldn't reccommend them enough :D
Same here,our dog will even try go get some one in a car.Had the Johos come in one day(they took no notice of all the signs on the gate:?)and our dog scratched the crap out of the car trying to get the driver.
The only way they got back out the gate was to drive up and down the drive to wear the dog out and he stayed up at the house;)
I dont think we will be getting any more Johos out this way again:lol:

[QUOTE=jdonly1;1524401]Same here,our dog will even try go get some one in a car.Had the Johos come in one day(they took no notice of all the signs on the gate:?)and our dog scratched the crap out of the car trying to get the driver.
The only way they got back out the gate was to drive up and down the drive to wear the dog out and he stayed up at the house;)
I dont think we will be getting any more Johos out this way again:lol:[/QUOTE]

Very cool :D Did they ever try to hit you up to repair the scratches? That would make you super :evil:

[QUOTE=jdonly1;1524401]Same here,our dog will even try go get some one in a car.Had the Johos come in one day(they took no notice of all the signs on the gate:?)and our dog scratched the crap out of the car trying to get the driver.
I dont think we will be getting any more Johos out this way again:lol:

Very cool :D Did they ever try to hit you up to repair the scratches? That would make you super :evil:[/QUOTE]
Nope,a bloke from the shire caught up with me a few weeks later and basically said they were bloody stupid for entering the property;).

Very cool :D Did they ever try to hit you up to repair the scratches? That would make you super :evil:

Nope,a bloke from the shire caught up with me a few weeks later and basically said they were bloody stupid for entering the property;).[/QUOTE]

Excellent :D:D Perfect outcome.

Owning a breed that is illegal is irrelevant. Regardless of local laws highlighting specific banned breeds, if a Pomeranian bites someone then the dog will get put down.

If you are a responsible owner that has a fence which a child, preacher or junk mail distributer cannot enter unintentionally (i.e.; 2.1 meter block) than there is only one choice for an extreme guard dog.

Fila Brasileiro.

Approx $5000 each, and one of the few breeds that were intentionally bred to attack humans they are loyal to owners and family though they will attack (and often kill) anyone else.

Owning a pure Fila (very rare in Australia) on anything less than 10 + acres, is somewhat foolish and it is only a matter of time before your dog gets put down. With all of the tossers entering private property these days, in all but the most extreme guarding circumstances, owning pure Fila’s is irresponsible.

The question was what is the best Guard Dog? This has been answered with the above breed.

If the question was ‘What is a fantastic guard dog that will not see me in jail for importing an illegal dog that is on the Australian 'banned breed' list when it kills somebody’, then the answer is one of many readily available and legal breeds of dogs available.

Up near the top of the list would have to be your average run of the mill Red Cattle dog. Good bark, big enough to make most thieves think twice about entering the property and cheap, loyal pets.

Cheers,
Viridis.

I agree with a Cattle Dog, they are a good dogs. I went to have a look at a breeders dogs today and her stud dog "Elvis" was 37kg of muscle, he would put a mastiffs Shoulder/Chest to shame :) you can pick em up for as little as $50 and purebreds are anywhere from 700-1000 (papered,vaccinated,micro chipped etc)

I have a Border collie and a cattle dog. Both are loyal, and great with our family...as young kids (8 and 4) my sister and I could dress up the border collie and he'd sit there and take it. I feel extremely safe with these two, and often go walking with one or the other, sometimes the both of them, and feel even safer. I know that if I feel threatened they will protect me. I've had intruders attempt to enter our home, but the border collie scared them off. If the dogs are upset at something outside, and it's serious, the cattle dog will lie down in front of the door and not let me out until the BC has checked it out...my family trust them enough to let me stay home alone over a weekend and not worry too much about home invasion.

Down sides are, they are both highly intelligent, and need a lot of obedience training or they become handfuls. Also, lots of exercise is needed or they get bored and then destructive

Alot of painters etc have the old cattle dog under their ute. They are nasty peices of work the cattledogs. Abolutely loyal to the death to their owner, but nasty horrors to everyone else.
At least the ones ive ever seen are. And ive found the reds to be more aggro than the blues.
In fact. Ive heard so many more bad stories about cattledogs biting people than the pitbull BS.
Theyre still a tops dog, and as aussie as they come.. Well besides the Kelpie and dingo i guess.

I agree with a Cattle Dog, they are a good dogs. I went to have a look at a breeders dogs today and her stud dog "Elvis" was 37kg of muscle, he would put a mastiffs Shoulder/Chest to shame :) you can pick em up for as little as $50 and purebreds are anywhere from 700-1000 (papered,vaccinated,micro chipped etc)

Seriously Dave :lol: a 37kg cattledog has nothing on the shear size of a Mastiff, I have had both Bullmastiffs and Cattles.... You have to be very careful picking "guard" dogs, dog that bite arn't socially accepted these days, and you can find yourself in alot of trouble if it does so... My 30kg Cattle was an absolute weapon, fully trained for many years, won ribbons in obedience... but paid the ultimate price for biting a kid who stuck his hand over the gate.. killed us all... My Bullmastiffs were pretty friendly, they would bark and "bail" people in the yard up, but I doubt they would of bitten anyone.... other dogs another story, out 70kg male almost tore the leg off a male cattledog that jumped out fence to steal Pubo's bones... took him a while, but he finally got him..... There are many serious type dogs out there, and some can be a real handfull.... The most serious type of dog I have laid eyes on myself is my mates Boerboel, its 85kgs of lean mean killing machine... it would snap a Shepard or rottie in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back