Best guard dog

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a number of good guarding breeds, but it comes down to what you are willing to exercise. A doberman or German Shepherd is more athletic and needs more exercise than the more heavily built rotties and mastiffs. Cattle dogs need more exercise than the rest put together. All are great dogs if kept properly. We used to keep a rottie in an inner city flat. We walked him for an hour every day (rain or shine) and he was great. We'd pass people with cattle dogs in little backyards that didn't get exercised and my heart broke. They were totally psycho. The rotties suit the amount of walking we are willing to do and they aren't great jumpers, so the fence doesn't have to be as high as for some other dogs. I like a fence just tall enough so the rott can jump up and look over the top, barking at intruders. Works a treat.

Billy Goat all the way.....they rarely bite have serious issues with tresspassers and have the ability to eat all evidence( of the tresspasser) lol...

P.S. Small and large dog combo is often good. Small dog sounds the alert, big dog backs it up. Our fluff dog always lets us know someone is near, then the rottie appears and they stay where they are.... Goulburn herper - geese aren't bad guard animals either.

Temperament is much more important than breed in assessing the suitability of a dog to be either a guard dog or a personal protection dog. However, a consistent opinion I have heard from trainers is that a higher proportion of German Shepherds can be successfully trained as guard dogs working with human handlers than any other breed; however Dobermans are arguably better for unsupervised guard work even though they are harder to train and have a lower 'graduation' percentage than Shepherds.

For the same reasons that it is a good idea to discuss reptile husbandry with experienced and consistently successful breeders, I recommend that you discuss your guard dog needs with some experienced and successful commercial trainers before you decide.

One thing you don't want to do (personal experience speaking here) is buy a puppy with the intention of training it or having it trained as a guard dog when it grows up. If you have bought a 'fear biter' (and there's no way of telling when they're puppies) it will never be a suitable and trustworthy guard dog or personal protection dog.

I use to own a Bull Mastiff x German Shep..she was beautiful and an amazing guard dog.I now own a beautiful huge n "hard" young Mastiff cross, bred purposely for guarding and hunting...she is showing great potential.For a serious guard and protection dog u cant go past Bandogs,Qld Mastiffs and most of the Mastiff /molloser breeds and all the beautiful mixes also Belgium Shepherd's can be quite good JMO :) I agree with u Nick the Fila is the best Guard Dog in the world and soo beautiful too :)

sheppards no one stuffs with them they are strong smart very protective and a great pet

I believe it all depends on what you want. I choose my dogs as family first, anythig else is a bonus. I have a little foxy x who will guard us with his life and yet is the greatest mate for the kids. The mastiff x is also a softy with the kids, but anyone come in who he doesn't know and isn't invited isn't safe, He's not a biter, but he is protective, especially when the kids are here or when no one is home.
Neither of these would ever be considered dangerous dogs, but I would hesitate if I didn't know them,
Having both sizes is a huge bonus due to the varying responses to situations

Rhodesian Ridgebacks i have to say win it hands down! They have a loud and deep bark. Big Dogs. Can look agressive but not very often. Bark at every noise they hear. They where used in Zimbabwe(Rhodesia) to hunt lions in packs and apparently they were used to keep Zimbabweans off the white mens property. so i was told. I Have 1 and he does the best job he scares everyone, the only let down is that if the person wasnt scared by how he looks and sounds and ran at the dog. the ridgy wouldnt hurt anyone so it would hide and be scared. other than that great guard dog.
I have a ridgy and she is the laziest dog ever...however we were planning on getting her guard dog trained.

Amstaff's,i have two and i'm ten foot tall.
My thoughts exactly...I had an Am Staff...the most beautiful dog ever...she was so affectionate and if I was at home alone, she would come and check on me every 15mins or so...it was so sweet...but if someone she didnt know tried to come in that was a different story...the only guy that was game enough to come into our yard when he didnt know her, got bailed up in a corner

cattle dogs are most definitely considered to be biters. because that's what they're bred for. biting on the cows while herding.
kelpies are known more for barking (mine just went off not two seconds ago. lol) and will alert you when someone is around but they're not intimidating in size. but are definitely loyal and protective. mine took on a boxer that came too close to me.

but i did have a bullmastiff x bully who was a great guard dog. maxed out at about 35kg? but was solid as a rock and had a mean bark. and i'm sure she wouldn't have hesitated if anyone came in the yard. but no one was stupid enough to while we had her. very protective of me too while walking her or if i was home alone and someone came to the door.

now i'm thinking of getting a rotti, they are by far my new favourite guard dog looking breed. gentle as a lamb most of the time but pretty scary looking to anyone who doesn't know better!! you could also get it trained in personal protection...?

Mate, i think you should look into Bull Terriers! For some reason they have that look that everyone respects, and can realli make someone think twice before jumping the fence! they are great companions aswell, they will lay on your lap and watch tv! Not as high maintenence as a sheppard. And Dont worry about there size! but in saying that i dont think everyone should keep a bully! they WERE bred for a purpose and should be raised only with the right ppl

cattle dogs are great, i got mine for 5 bucks and its the best 5 bucks ive ever spent, the kids sit on him play with him and sleep with him and he loves every minute of it. he is a very loyal and friendly dog who is eager to please, when we go on our walks he is the friendliest dog of all to people and other dogs. if we are at the park, shops or beach he stays right beside the kids and watches over them, but anyone who comes near my backyard will not enter it. he lets them know its our territory and noone elses, his bark and speed at running toward them is enough to change anyones mind on coming in!

Try a pure bread Marima, no one comes on to my property without ringing me first.
$900 for the dog $500 for sighns, treat them nice cause they have a long memory.

Its a hard one but all the best are illegal, ie : japanese tosa, dogo argetino, presa canario and of course the fila brasierlio (spelling) have a look at some of the pics on google they are awesome! but if you want a legal dog then i would say get a pure bred bull terrier, nothing more loyal and protective of its owner. My unlces one kept us in the car in the backyard for 30 minutes before he told it to calm down!

My family have had all sorts of dogs that are good gaurd doggs. at the moment my family all have Bull mastifs which are awsome gaurd dogs. we have had german sheppards and rotties they are all good but all have there ups and downs reaserch them and find ou abot all of them and base your decision on which suits you.

Cheers

Damien

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back