So I got creative with my GTP enclosure!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayhem

Reaction score
Not everyone would agree with such a setup, many prefer to go with a more sterile and easy to clean setup for GTP's - and I'm not one to argue with it either, there are pro's and cons to both, but I decided to try and get something visually nice as well as practical and here is the result :)

All of the fixtures and pumps etc are easily removed for cleaning (nothing is glued in or anything)
and in some ways it provides a more reliable setup than the old click clack/tub arrangement.

* I have sectioned off the enclosure in an "L" shape with water on the "L" side and dry land (being large smooth pebbles) on the other.
* Medium Size waterfall in front left corner, with fogger in the water behind it.
* Lots of plastic plants.
* molded rubber background (coated with cement), providing a decent size ledge/escarpment.
* overhead UV tube and two separate heat globes one for night time and one for daytime.
* underneath the dry part of the enclosure floor is a heat mat in case its required for extra humidity or heat.

Last things to go in are some perches which I will either do out of rain forest vines or bamboo, then finally, once I've confirmed the humidity and temps are where I need them, in goes the snake :)

Anyway, here's some pics, I'll update the thread once the vines/perches go in and finally the GTP :)

09092009330-s.jpg

09092009327-s.jpg

looks absolutely fantastic mayhem! Cant wait to see the end result! Top work mate!!!

Around $500 including original enclosure, heat mats, plants, waterfall, fogger, modifications to enclosure (glass divider for water), substrate (pebbles), molded background and all lighting :)

That look's pretty neat! Well done. Can't wait to see it with the GTP in there.......

If you really want to get full on with being creative check out this link.

Can't wait to own a GTP!!!

is an all glass enclosure required? or will a wooden one be enough?

Last edited:
Branches

The only thing missing is a couple of decent small branches.

Looks amazing. Nice little piece.

Looks great, just wondering though, you'll have to do a complete water change and probably take the pebbles out everytime the python craps in the water.... I imagine nasty bacteria would breed very fast with a defecated rat sitting in a warm pond.

Great job,that looks awesome.I to prefer the more natural looking enclosures as i keep my snakes in the living areas of the house where i can appreciate them.Not that there is anything wrong with a basic setup,i just have a small collection so spending the time dismantling them to clean isnt really a problem for me.

Can't wait to own a GTP!!!

is an all glass enclosure required? or will a wooden one be enough?

I believe an all glass enclosure is more suitable as GTP require more humidity which in time would affect the timber.

Looks great, just wondering though, you'll have to do a complete water change and probably take the pebbles out everytime the python craps in the water.... I imagine nasty bacteria would breed very fast with a defecated rat sitting in a warm pond.

yeh, still working on that part hahaha! I am looking into water filtration/treatment options now. My ex-house mates huge fish tank and external filtration system might find itself getting reappointed lol

Great job,that looks awesome.I to prefer the more natural looking enclosures as i keep my snakes in the living areas of the house where i can appreciate them.Not that there is anything wrong with a basic setup,i just have a small collection so spending the time dismantling them to clean isnt really a problem for me.

Yeh I haven't got so many snakes that its a problem for me to do this either and I also have them in and area of the house I can see them - no point having nice snakes in a back room where you cant see them :)

I might convert a room later down the track but only if I expand to so many that it warrants doing that.

Going to have to look into vivarium filters tonight/tomorrow - getting this right will be vital. I can always remove the whole water feature, but well, it would be nice to be able to keep it provided I can come up with a good solution here.

Great job mate, set-up looks awesome 8) GTPs should love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back