Birds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetras

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I was looking into getting a parrot or lorikeet of some sort... Preferably one that can learn to talk pretty easily.
So any information that anyone can give me would be really helpful.

Lorikeets are fun to watch. They are such clowns and good talkers. Not sure if gender is an issue with them like many birds, though. Eclectus parrots are fantastic talkers. They pick things up so quick. They can be quite loud and obnoxious but then so can any parrot.

I have a sun conure but s/he hasn't learnt to talk but does respond when she knows we are paying attention. Other good birds I can recommend would quakers, cockatiels, other conures, rosellas (bit shy but great at copying). When I had my pet shop I use to sell many hand reared birds from budgies, cockatiels and lories to the exotics like the conures, eckies and quakers. I had a sun conure who really loved me. She would go off her nut if I'd been away and suddenly show up. Had an $800 eckie that flew out my door but because he was so young couldn't fly far. I got him back. He turned out to be a great, friendly talker. But of all them, my favourite was a blue quaker I called Bobby. Every time someone called him a good boy he'd woof whistle until he finally started talking and would say it back at you. I still miss that bird. The day I told my husband I am bringing him home, his owner came in and picked him up. :( I love birds but never came across another that I loved as much as him.

I even had a sulphur crested cockatoo. I ordered in specially for somebody but they were a day late coming to get him. Suppose to be friendly but he hated me. Little **** would attack me.

Last edited:
Get a rainbow lorrie, we have 2 and they are really easy to train and thrive on human interaction if you only have one. Only downside is that they can be a little messy (with their poops)
They are really intelligent and can pick up tricks quite easily.
a basic tip, if you want it to talk more never teach it any whistles and keep it covered when training it to talk.

Good luck.

Preferably one that can learn to talk pretty easily.
More along the lines of how much time and effort you are willing to put into it.
I certainly recommend geting a sulfer crested cockatoo! Mad fun, inteligent and can be very affectionate, to the point it will stress if you dont spend enough time with it.

Thanks for all the information everyone.

I had a closer look at the blue quaker, it looks like a really good bird, not too big, which is great.
Ill keep looking around and such. It'll be a while before i save up the moneys to get a decent sized cage.

the thing is, quakers are one person birds most of the time, like, if it doesn't bond with you well enough, and your boyufriend or mum walks in the room, it might like him or her better then you, my friends does that, she lives with me and her quaker hates her, but loves me

A lot of parrots play favourites when it comes to ppl. The sun conures (not sure of other colours) can become quite aggressive towards others who go near "their pet human". Cockatiels will go crook at anybody trying to steal his mate, too. Many birds are similar.

Thanks for all the information everyone.

I had a closer look at the blue quaker, it looks like a really good bird, not too big, which is great.
Ill keep looking around and such. It'll be a while before i save up the moneys to get a decent sized cage.

You can go wrong with a quaker, My wife has a green one talks like a trooper, thinks its human and bites every one except the wife and our youngest son lol.
But be very aware Both quakers and conures as pets/hand raised are very demanding and can be very vocal.
As for a cage you wont need a very large one, ours has a cage but is free to come and go as he pleases, never locked in :)

Awww Beeman that is a great way to keep birds. I have lost a few out the door because I refuse to clip their wings. But when I am being careful, the birds love having the run of the house. I had a cockatiel who use to follow me everywhere. I would try to run up the hallway to beat him but he always caught me. An eclectus parrot I had in my pet shop use to walk around the shop following me. If I went without him he'd go to the floor and walk, to catch up. I had to cut his wings because the first day I had him he flew out the door on me. Straight across traffic and landed on the footpath across the road and just around the corner. I near panicked thinking thats it, he's gone and I owe $700 to its breeder. But no, he was on the path, I picked him up and carried him back. Being a baby I couldn't tell if his wings were cut or not, I guess that answered my question and got the breeder back in to do his wings. I am not a liker to wing cuts but he was handreared, I wanted him out of his cage but couldn't afford to lose him.

I also sold a green quaker I called Noddy. He was such a sooky baby. I loved him. I think the quakers are great. A pest in their home town like the pigeons are here, but I love them.

go the clown of the sky the major mitichel

Princess parrots are great to handle, very friendly.... We have just got ourselves two 4wk old Alexandrine parrots to hand raise but Im certainly not looking forward to the noise

Hi i own 1 normal green cheek conure,1 cinnamon green cheek conure, 1 blue quaker and soon to be sun conure. But out of the birds i own now Aqua my quaker is the loudest but also the best talker. He picks up words so easy he says whos a pretty boy,pretty boy,pretty paul,einstein,shelley,stop it,shut up,what ya what ya doin, arsshole,Aqua,Aqua arsshole,arsshole Aqua,lunch,wait,naughty boy,arh.come here and probably more i'm forgetting. His still learning he is only 1 year old started talking at 6 months old or maybe younger i've forgotten. The down side is even tho i hand reared him from 3 weeks old he loves my boyfriend more so then me. When he was younger he was good would go to anyone and everyone but now he will only go to my boyfriend. My cinnamon green cheek conure MaYa is the same with me she will hop up on other peoples hands if she falls off the end of the bed but if you don't put her on the end of the bed again she will begin to bite till you do.She will also not allow other people to pat her on the back she will allow head scratch's but on her terms only. I can pat her on the back scratch her head and hold her. MoJo my normal green cheek conure will go to anyone and everyone for pats,cuddles,head scratch's.

I wouldn't get a bird just for its talking ability better off going for personality, find out what sort of personality you want in a bird. Not all birds learn to talk or want to talk even within the same species. Two people could own african greys but only 1 of those african greys might talk. I've known some quakers that don't talk at all,some that will only say a few words, then some that can't shut up like my quaker lol.
The number 1 bird for talking would be the african grey but there expensive here in australia about $4,000 for a hand reared baby. I've been told that Quakers have the same intelligence as african greys but aren't as clear in the talking like the african grey is. Then you have the galahs,toos,macaws,electus parrot,tiels. It also depends on how much your willing to spend on a bird. Green quakers range from $150 to $300 blue quakers start from $300 to $350 depending also on the breeders. African greys $4,000 or more, Macaws $7,000 or more, electus parrot $600 to $900, galahs $100 to $300,toos $100 to $1,500 depending on what species, tiels $80 to $100, green cheek conures $100 to $400 depending on the mutation,sun conures $300 to $650 all prices for single hand reared birds.
Your best bet is to know what type of personality you want in a bird then research the species your interested in to find out if thats the personality your after. My green cheek conures additude is a big bird in a small birds body eg my green cheek conures think they can take on anything, There very active,cheeky,playfull,willing to go anywhere,willing to try new things, are very jealous birds that fight over my attention. My quaker on the other hand is more mellow is willing to try make friends with any bird he meets,not very active,is a wuss will run instand of standing his ground, will not try new things,but will go anywhere with you, is cheeky speciallyy with talking eg if someone is making to much noise Aqua yells out shut up lol,his smart knows when to say things at the right time. I hope this has helped some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back