Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Londos u mentioned a fish tank before.
Snakes will also need some form of ventilation, u can get a rough idea by looking in the pet shops.

Most people will tell you not to house any snakes together. I have kept my stimmies together for the last 2.5 years with no problems. I seperate them at feeding time though and keep them seperated for at least 30mins after feeding.

i keep my Darwin and coastal together and my 2 diamonds together as well. again people will tell u different things, mine have been together since they were hatchies and i have never had a problem. i get flamed on here for doing it but after a few years of keeping them together i have found that snakes are more social/tolerant than people make them out to be. there are certain snakes that i wouldn't put together BHP or olives with any other species.

Yea i have ventalatoin already i added mesh in a photo frame in the front at the cold end should be good for temperature gradient

A rep store, and a good one here in SA have two BHP's co-habiting quite happily together..................... as long as the animals are the same size/age, there shouldn't be a problem. It's all a matter of personal 'taste' and what suits oneself

They also have bredli's, diamonds, and olives together. We have md's who are more than happy to be in the same enclosure all the time!!

If you don't care about quaranteen, keeping accurate records, breeding or your animals stress level and thermo regulation by all means go ahead and house together.

Why ask for help & ignore the answer when people who know what they are doing give it?
It sounds to me as though you had your mind made up before you asked the question.
I just hope when the worst happens we don't see a thread on here "Help, what do I do"

Why ask for help & ignore the answer when people who know what they are doing give it?
It sounds to me as though you had your mind made up before you asked the question.
I just hope when the worst happens we don't see a thread on here "Help, what do I do"

i hate when people dont take advice. Someone i know keeps 2 large pythons in a small crappy enclosure. its roughly 1m x 1m

Theres all different advice so no matter what i did i was listening to advice, i havent made my mind up on anything but anyway........

If you don't care about quaranteen, keeping accurate records, breeding or your animals stress level and thermo regulation by all means go ahead and house together.

Youre sounding a little frantic there Ewan. There will always be success stories on both sides, so as I said, it's a matter of what one feels is right. There is a breeder here who has bred snakes, pythons and others, for fourty years, with an exceptional success rate, AND he keeps them always together, AND he doens't get all scientific over temps, thermo regulation, etc. His way of thinking is that, the snake knows if he/she is cold or hot, and will move around the enclosure accordingly. They aren't stupid animals, and know how they are feeling (hot or cold).

I have seen the results of his breeding program, and I cna vouch, it is successful, with many different types of snakes.

As I said, it's all a matter of whether or not one wants to let their animals act naturally, or as laboratory animals in strict conditions that MUST be adhered to.

Theres no right or wrong way, I don't condemn anyone for wanting to do it the scientific way, but I believe it creates less stress when they are not so regulated in their environment. They wouldn't be in the wild, after all.

I agree with the no right nor wrong way but there are people out there who think they know best on everything and therefore will probably not take into account anyone else has to say....... i think he is pretty much one sided on this..

LOL Londos, everyone is!!!!!!!! Each have their own idea of the perfect way of doing things........... sometimes it works out, and thats good, but sometimes it doesn't, so it's back to the drawing board. Bit like bringing up kids in a way............ the first one is an experiment virtually anyway!!!!!!!!!

Dipcdame. I am not frantic at all. At the end of the day the husbandry practices of others are none of my concern. I have merely stated how housing together CAN impact on health and other husbandry requirements. I understand there is no such thing as gospel in herpetoculture and our animals will continue prove how hardy and adaptive they are.

thanks i was wondering the same thing just cant find anything on the net. i'm not taking the risk seperate houses would be best

short answer.....yes you can, BUT bad things can and do happen and i have seen it.

i would not personaly do it.

donks

Most people will tell you not to house any snakes together. I have kept my stimmies together for the last 2.5 years with no problems. I seperate them at feeding time though and keep them seperated for at least 30mins after feeding.
I do the same :)

That's strange,
I have found many snakes in the wild, but I have never, ever found a wild snake living in an enclosure, either sharing or not sharing with another snake. Of course they are kept in artificial conditions, that is the whole definition of "captive specimen". You can house them to so they exibit natural behaviours, but there is nothing natural about the way they are housed. An enclosure simply can't be that big.

Londos1990, I'd recommend you get into tropical fish instead of snakes, they sound more up your ally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back