Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always said I waas build for comfort, not speed, however, after the dubious 'honour' of viewing a Red-bellied black shoot across his enclosure last night (first time near a ven), I think I can safely say I'd break the four minute mile if I ever saw one in the wild!!!!!!! LOL

I can now fully understand peoples reactions to our pythins when they baulk at the sight of them IN their enclosures.................. I got that same feeling last night!!!!

Thanks you to my host for the evening, (member on this forum), for your hospitality, and for being given the opportunity to see such gorgeous looking animals!!! You know who you are!! ;)

Sturdy, yeah I was shocked when I heard the news about him getting bitten by his tai. As it was one I had sold him, It was from my very first clutch I produced.

Cheers
Dee

woah thats gotta suck...

and yeah my western brown has calmed down quite a bit.... more into food than anything else....

Comparing an elapid to a fish is a big call lol...

I'm not saying that reptiles are to be fondled like puppies

mine only get handled at cleaning time & rarely in between.

But what happens when it does come time to clean...

The fact that they do all at some point need to be taken out of their enclosures

whether it be via snake hook or hands I would still say ven keepers

are certainly walking on the wild side in doing so.

Again thats just my opinion & that is why I am more than happy to keep

pythons/colubrids & steer clear of elapids.

To those that do keep elapids, good for you if thats what you like ;)

Stay safe! :) Cheers

I'd feel more comfortable and in control free handlng my tiger snakes then walking down chapple st. It's funny how people go on about keeping elapids, whenever I see farmers throwng around cattle or horses I always think f*&^k that, give me a kingy any day. They got AV for venom.

hehe i think with every venomous snake keeper they have atleast once free handled their vens.... Ive done it....but have stoped doing it after a mate got taped by a "pet" tai..... was a lil wake up call that there is a gamble with it and i kind of like my kidneys

And i highly doubt it will stop him from doing what he does, each to their own i guess.

Comparing an elapid to a fish is a big call lol...

Not really, I think it's a reasonable comparison. If someone is that worried about bites then they really shouldn't be contemplating keeping them. That's why I don't keep fish :p

Not jinxing myself, but I reckon I’d have to be doing something really stupid “under normal circumstances” (like, not pulling the slough off an unrestrained tiger or moving my colletts around without a hook from place to place :lol:) to get bitten! I mean, typically stupid actions like those have the potential to land you in hot water. Why would I contemplate pulling the shed off an unrestrained tiger snake?? Because if you’ve been around something long enough you can generally get a good picture of what its temperament is like. Would you go up and pat a dog you didn’t know?? I know I wouldn’t!

There would be elapid owners on this site (I know there are) that would clean out and maintain large collections of elapids on a weekly basis without too much of a hint of concern regarding having their general safety jeopardized. Captive elapids as a general rule act quite differently to that of a wild “strung-out” elapid (my male red belly is an exception :lol:). A captive specimen is often very easy to move without too much interaction. If you wanted to be really hands-off, you could use a hide set-up with a hinged and lockable lid which when the keeper was certain the snake was in the hide, you merely lock the door down using a hook and take the snake out of its enclosure hide and all. But then, why bother?? Being too jittery and stressed can often lead to mistakes imo.

I'd feel more comfortable and in control free handlng my tiger snakes then walking down chapple st. It's funny how people go on about keeping elapids, whenever I see farmers throwng around cattle or horses I always think f*&^k that, give me a kingy any day. They got AV for venom.

Put into that context I couldn't agree more. Same thing, would much rather handle a RBBS than walk alone and full of grog at 2am through Fortitude Valley on a Saturday morning.

Whatever,,,I just plainly get bored looking at pythons,,, they are boring snakes ,,, At least my vens are always cruzing around & strutting their stuff.. Pythons are the "TOYOTA TARAGOS" & elapids are the "FERRARIS!!"

I have a couple of tigers that are just amazingly quiet but even if they have never tried to bite free handling is a very very big no no. Its one thing we teach our staff not to do and i would never suggest it, there is to many cases of people who free handle who have been bitten at one point or another. I respect my snakes as do most elapid keepers and have never had an issue with them.

It's so good to see how many responsible elapid owners there are. Like I said before, the only venomous snake owner I've met was the one that would let his kids handle it. So it's great to see there are normal, responsible people out there!

I love the comparison with fish, it seems to be so true. Beautiful to watch, but not a cuddly animal.

Hey guys thanks for all the feed back. Im enjoying reading about what each of you have to say. I cant personally say anything really about vens, i have never really had one. I love all snakes they are amazing animals, but i really do love just sitting down watching tv and letting my pythons cruise around the couch with me. but thats me, some people like bull dogs other people like cats, (im a bull dog fan), who cares what other people think if your happy with the animal you have then so be it. :)

In Victoria as part of the code of practice of keeping venomous snakes, we have to notify the nearest hospital of what types of vens we keep and they then add it to your file.

Our female Tassie Tiger is very placid, I have only seen her flare out once so far. She may be tame enough to free handle, but I don't trust her enough to try.

Hello to all you guys out there with Venomous snakes I have a question.
I have always wondered do you actually handle your snakes? You couldn't right? I would love to know how you look after them and stuff.
Please tell me a bit about what you guys do Im interested to know.

Thanks heaps
Sophie

like cass (shnakeygirl) said, our tiger snake is very placid, well 2 out of the 3 we have are actually. i can actually free handle 2 straight from the enclosure with no reaction or defensive threat and handle very well. and we do have one that can be free handled after about 5 mins on the hook as he is and can be a bugger but i've only done it once with that one. they all have temperments like pythons. its a matter of knowing and being able to read the snakes body language and being calm yourself... but still, it's a huge risk free handling and by doing it you have no one to blame but yourself when bitten shall it happen

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back