Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

genandme

Reaction score
I thought I had a large black snake in my back yard that refused to leave but I've just now seen the whole body. It's a huge land mullet. I'm delighted to have something like this in my garden instead of the other option. Now I find that people keep them as pets! Can anyone tell me more about them?
genandme

They are great pets, but you shouldnt take them from the wild. You may like to look around and see if you can find a care sheet, they get quite large about 30cm from what ive heard.

They are great pets, but you shouldnt take them from the wild. You may like to look around and see if you can find a care sheet, they get quite large about 30cm from what ive heard.
There is not much info on these guys, a few people keep them in Captivity. There body Length (SVL) is 30cm without tail.
Thanks Tim.

I thought I had a large black snake in my back yard that refused to leave but I've just now seen the whole body. It's a huge land mullet. I'm delighted to have something like this in my garden instead of the other option. Now I find that people keep them as pets! Can anyone tell me more about them?
genandme
Not all of us would be upset if we had resident black snakes as a house guest ;)

I'm pretty shore they are the largest skink in Australia, and i tell you what they are powerful buggers, you wouldn't want them to grab hold of ya, they also seemto drop a nice smelly suprise on you every time you catch a wild one:shock:

NO even better ......;)
How can you honestly say you wouldnt want this in your back yard now

DSCF2436.jpg

so GORGEOUS ....;)...tis my favourite Black snake ...

We just let one go in our backyard yesterday:rolleyes:
Very nice black by the way!!
Love to keep one oneday!!

TIM.

How can you honestly say you wouldnt want this in your back yard now

DSCF2436.jpg

so GORGEOUS ....;)...tis my favourite Black snake ...
Did you hear that? that's how fast I can say it. My cat makes eye contact. She answers to her name. She sits on my lap and enjoys my company. What do reptiles do?

Did you hear that? that's how fast I can say it. My cat makes eye contact. She answers to her name. She sits on my lap and enjoys my company. What do reptiles do?

Eat cats.....lol, sorry, couldn't resist..

Many reptiles have just as much character as a cat. They can enjoy human interactions at times. They are also perfectly happy to sit in their boxes. Just the same as your cat will ignore you when it doesn't want food/petting.

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Good one IronTom!
Each animal has their own personality and just because you don't like snakes doesn't mean that they don't have a personality.

Am amazed you have become a member of a reptile forum...what were you expecting ..garden skinks and spotted pythons only?:rolleyes:
Alot of us interact with reptiles in emotional ways on here ..they may not be as fluffy and sit on your lap purring but hey dont think we cant get enjoyment from having them now ...

I love the red bellies, but worry about them if they are in my yard. I have a couple of dogs and cats and wouldn't want any of them hurt (including the snakes). Where I live we don't get many vens around, so it's fairly safe. I love to watch them though, awesome animals and the colours are beautiful

Am amazed you have become a member of a reptile forum...what were you expecting ..garden skinks and spotted pythons only?:rolleyes:
Alot of us interact with reptiles in emotional ways on here ..they may not be as fluffy and sit on your lap purring but hey dont think we cant get enjoyment from having them now ...

No no no! don't misunderstand me. I love every living thing. I'm "city" who's not long arrived into "country" and there seem to be snakes everywhere. Already I see their personalities emerge as a green tree snake stared me down, as if to tell me that he lives under the floorboards in my house and I'd just better get used to it. Then it disappeared slowly from view under my deck. However, I'm surrounded by acres of land and my tiny patch is mine and I don't want uninvited beasties living with me - in the same way some people don't invite cats and object to hawks eating their beloved birds; or foxes devouring their chooks.
I joined the forum for the purpose of finding out more about all reptiles but have no need to get up close and personal with any of them.

No no no! don't misunderstand me. I love every living thing. I'm "city" who's not long arrived into "country" and there seem to be snakes everywhere. Already I see their personalities emerge as a green tree snake stared me down, as if to tell me that he lives under the floorboards in my house and I'd just better get used to it. Then it disappeared slowly from view under my deck. However, I'm surrounded by acres of land and my tiny patch is mine and I don't want uninvited beasties living with me - in the same way some people don't invite cats and object to hawks eating their beloved birds; or foxes devouring their chooks.
I joined the forum for the purpose of finding out more about all reptiles but have no need to get up close and personal with any of them.
I do understand what you are saying ...but question to you is ...WHY MOVE ? if you want to live a snake free life and dont want to have 'uninvited guests' as you put it ...why move from the city where your encounters are far less ...then to move to the country and expect the same ? ....these so called uninvited were here wayyyyyyyy before you or I ...we moved into their habitat and typical human thinking expect these animals to KNOW THIS!! ....best to leave all snakes alone ...and get to know your local snake catchers phone number ..as we are expecting a very dry summer ahead ..so your encounters are probably going to increase .....what area do you live in ?

I do understand what you are saying ...but question to you is ...WHY MOVE ? if you want to live a snake free life and dont want to have 'uninvited guests' as you put it ...why move from the city where your encounters are far less ...then to move to the country and expect the same ? ....these so called uninvited were here wayyyyyyyy before you or I ...we moved into their habitat and typical human thinking expect these animals to KNOW THIS!! ....best to leave all snakes alone ...and get to know your local snake catchers phone number ..as we are expecting a very dry summer ahead ..so your encounters are probably going to increase .....what area do you live in ?

I agree and it's the same as going to the beach for a swim. There are sharks there and WE go into their habitat, yet we are the ones who get upset and go out to kill them when they attack us. We don't find them in our yards, so why complain when we enter theirs?
If you have a problem, then call Snake Catchers and have them relocated. They are only doing what animals do.
This is a general comment and not intended to make an accusation toward genandme, I realise that you care for and respect animals

Simple fact is reptiles have a right to be here, cats do not!

If you don't want interaction with an amazing species of animals which have evolved over millions of year than perhaps you should live in antarctica

we dnt know why she moved maybe it wasnt her choice to make. things happen sometimes. i would love to see a pic of this land mullet ! i cant say ive ever seen one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back