Hinged or sliding glass

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

symbol

Reaction score
Hi all

I am about to buy some enclosures, just wondering what everyone thinks, hinged or sliding glass? Any advantages/disadvantages to either??

Cheers

i only use sliding glass.. but have used hinged doors and find sliding to be far easier

i have a hinged one, and a sliding one, and the sliding one looks heaps better and is much easier to use. only problem is sand in the tracks which is really annoying... but sliding glass doors are definitely better in my opinion

i also vote sliding.
the only problem is if you're buying them for small snakes you have to make sure they arent able to squeeze out of the gap in the glass.

same Midol.

hinged for the win. if you can find decent hinges, that allow the door to wrap around the enclosure and is out of the way, much easier to get into the enclosure to clean, re arrange and get the snake out.

i have posted a picture of my enclosure. the bottom of it is the same, expect much bigger, the top doors are 600 high and the bottom is 1200.

cheers

Attachments

• P190109_21.47[01].jpg
    P190109_21.47[01].jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 123
Ive been a member of this site for a while now and MOST of the threads i have read regarding escaped snakes, have all been housed in enclosures with sliding glass doors.
Something to keep in mind while purchasing.

Thanks all for your advice. I am now even more torn!!! ;) Dickyknee is making my enclosures, I will see what he has to say as well.

Cheers again

same Midol.

hinged for the win. if you can find decent hinges, that allow the door to wrap around the enclosure and is out of the way, much easier to get into the enclosure to clean, re arrange and get the snake out.

i have posted a picture of my enclosure. the bottom of it is the same, expect much bigger, the top doors are 600 high and the bottom is 1200.

cheers

Yes!

That's a perfect example. That is practical and I it'll look decent when closed. The only thing with hinged ones is whoever is making it has to be decent at woodwork or buy prefab doors.

IMO, the only reason so many make sliding glass is because they lack the craftmanship to built doors... Myself included, which is why I need to practice... Worst case scenario though would = paying a cabinet maker for doors.

---------

Also, I'm over key locks. I'll hopefully be putting biometric locks on all of my future enclosures. Anubis got out this morning because someone didn't close the enclosure properly - she hid in the oven and was angry as all hell when I removed her.

I've got both and aesthetically the sliding doors are good and very space saving but I'm being more and more convinced of the pros of hinged doors.....

Used both types over the years.First enclosures were all made with sliders.Changed them all over to hinged a few years back.Overall hinged are much much better.

G'day Symbol,

As long as you use the proper glass track (& i mean the Cowdroy aluminium system, not the cheap & nasty plastic stuff) the benefits i can see are: you have the advantage of opening the door as little or as much as you want, this is particularly good if you are keeping deadlies,scrubbies,olives or any of the food crazy larger animals laceys etc.. All my guys are pussycats, but when they REALLY want their dinner i find it's less risk opening up a small entrance to the cage.Would love to see Midol & Dreaddie with an opening door setup & a hungry scrub with a 2mtr strike range ;) Secondly floor to ceiling cages look crap at 2mtr plus cages with opening doors, you will need a strong frame & you will not get the whole effect of looking at your cages without seeing ugly framework, You could use patch fittings so no "framework" but 10mm toughened glass would be minimum & VERY costly (also see no.1 reason again)

Lastly, if space is an issue, as most of the time it is, sliders don't take up space. taking them out is a piece of cake, although i have found anything over 2 1/2 square mtrs starts getting awkward to manouvre, but that's what mates are for ;)

If you don't like the look of ratchet locks there are keyed plunger locks which add a bit more class.

As for people making comments on Craftsmen being lazy or incompetent for using sliding glass setups TOTAL PIFFLE WAFFLE..

If I had a scrub then it probably wouldn't even be in an indoor enclosure and even if it was, it wouldn't be a conventional enclosure ;)

For elapids I can see why having sliders would be better. I hope to get a RBBS eventually and I'll have sliders on the roof and hinged on the front. It won't be conventional sliders though.

Installing sliders is easy. Making decent cabinet doors is a lot harder...

Hinged are great for access imo .
Sliders are cheaper and work fine too , but if you have the extra cash or the experience hinged are nice .
A few I have made with hinged .

Picture1104.jpg

Picture1096.jpg

Picture1110.jpg

Picture082.jpg

All depends on how quick you want to crack/break the glass.......................... those on hinges will swing, and if swung hard/quick enough, the inevitable is bound to happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back