dog owners!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amy5189

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just thought i'd hand out some info for dog owners out there. A lot of people don't know about the dog sport Flyball, and I want to get the word out there. We really want new people signing up all the time!

Its a great time for owners and dogs alike, and any dog can compete. It is a team sport, where four dogs are in each team, and two teams verse each other each race. The dogs have to jump over four jumps, then hit a box which ejects a ball. the dogs have to catch the ball and make there way over the four jumps again, with the next dog waiting to pass them when they finish.

It is awesome, and you only need to see (or hear) a demo or comp to see how much the dogs enjoy it.

Any dog can compete, including little dogs! We have mini poodles, corgis, spaniels etc.
I currently have a four year old Kelpie I'm running and she LOVES it! And it also helps burn off some excess energy for her!

It will get your dogs fit, and dogs and owners have great bonds!! Plus you can make some great doggy friends.

I currently compete with a team in Strathpine/Pine Rivers, but there are teams all over australia. if you type flyball australia into google you will find the australian website and can find your local team, or if you are on the northside of brissie send me a pm and i can give you some info!

I really encourage anyone with a doggy to give it a go. You do need to train your dog, but once they know what they're doing its FANTASTIC!!

So give it a think over and if you're interested give it a go! I'm sure you'll find you'll enjoy yourself!!!

I've seen comps and the dogs certainly enjoy it. It particuarly suits the working breeds, but I've even seen a dachshund compete.

oh a dachshund!!! lol. i haven't seen one of them do it! that would be quite cute. but i have seen lots of little dogs compete and we really do love the little dogs.

see the jumps are set to the height of 5 inches lower than the shortest dogs shoulder. so if you only have big dogs then the jumps are higher and it makes the dogs slower. but if you have a little dog, then the big dogs can just glide over the jumps easier and can make the course much quicker! GENIUS! lol

the reason i made this post is cuz my team really need some new dogs!! all the other dogs are retiring! COME ON NORTH BRIZZIE DOGS!!!! lol

but i do want everyone to know about flyball

Sounds like fun and I'd love my two to play...
But they are Staffies, competitive, and don't play nice.
Well, they play nice, but other dogs don't understand that ;)

The dachshund was owned by a guy with a border collie x cattle dog. The cattle x was his main fast flyball dog, but they used the dachshund on the team to get the jumps set low.;)

yeah i get what you mean tooninoz.

we have a few dog fights every now and again. my girl is very dominant and likes to fight. but luckily when we're competing she's very focused. so it is possible if they're trained well, but it can be very hard.

i used to have a very aggressive bull mastiff x and i couldn't do anything with her. no fun!!

staffy x cattle will LOVE IT!! it will be so super energetic and smart! let me know how you go!

haha grannieannie your dogs sound like my grandma's dogs. they just kinda look at you and say ... "get lost" lol

a kelpie x border would LOVE IT!!! we have plenty of border collies and kelpies on the team, so a border x kelpie would be fantastic!

haha grannieannie your dogs sound like my grandma's dogs. they just kinda look at you and say ... "get lost" lol

a kelpie x border would LOVE IT!!! we have plenty of border collies and kelpies on the team, so a border x kelpie would be fantastic!

neither of mine even know what a ball is for....you throw a ball...and they just ignore it. I didn't get them till they were adults and they just never learned to play like normal dogs. One is now 12 and the other is 6....they just eat and sleep and follow us everywhere and go ballistic if we leave....I think they have separation anxiety. They are Bearded Collies.......who normally would be good at flyball or such things...

We have a 75kg bullmastiff that sleeps 22 hours a day. Competing in anything, except trying to eat door to door sales people is out of the question.

Do you have a flyer or brochure or something like that amy5189? I work at a large pet store on the Sunny Coast, and I'd have no dramas putting something like that on the counter and telling the other staff to tell customers about it. Strathpine is just down the road...

Sounds great... but my dog doesn't chase balls either?? ;) He can carry 2 tennis balls in his mouth and still bark at you though.

Do you have a flyer or brochure or something like that amy5189? I work at a large pet store on the Sunny Coast, and I'd have no dramas putting something like that on the counter and telling the other staff to tell customers about it. Strathpine is just down the road...

There is a flyball club on the sunshine coast - at least there was a few months ago. I got banned from dogzonline though and cbf going back on to see if they're still active.

the team on the sunny coast is just starting up. they are trying to get a team together, cuz my friend is trying to start one up. fingers crossed for them

What's going on with them?

I know they moved grounds. Where to? I was interesting in tagging along as a "support" person since none of my current dogs are suitable but since I got banned from DOL I don't know how to get into contact with them.

let me see if i can get in contact with amy, who's running it and find out some info for you. i know they definitely wanna go ahead though. cuz we have people driving down to pine rivers from sunshine coast and it can be a bit far for them

come on doggy owners its heaps of fun!!!!

Just an update. my team from pine rivers drove down to castle hill this weekend for the australian flyball championships and came second in our division out of five teams!!!! We would have loved first place, but were just proud of ourselves and dogs as we set a record for our team. Running out best time ever of 20.667

It was heaps of fun so i encourage anyone out there with a dog to give flyball a go!!!

ps sunshine coast pet expo this sunday 25th of october. my club and sunshine coast club will be there diong a flyball demo, and they will have a reptile display!!!

oh and they will also have celebrity vet dr chris brown there. lol. that makes it worthwhile!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back