Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there future is being used to get fussy bhp's feeding as hatchies when there not eating rats

Actually, I think you'll find that it is Morelia spilota that are best used as feeders for Aspidites.

To the OP. I'm not really sure what value animals in amateur herpetologists collections adds from a conservation perspective.

As for their "pet value," I suppose that's an individual thing. Personally I think albino variegata are hideous, though many others seem to love them.

I don't think many other pythons really compete with womas in the personality category. Womas are all a little "special," but that's why I love them.

As for me, I think carinata are one of few Morelia actually worth the trouble of keeping.

RSP's may not have the immediate wow factor of some species like the vivid green of a GTP, the contrast of a top notch black and gold jungle or the size of an adult olive python.
However when you take the time to appreciate an RSP they are attractive in their own right.
I keep reptiles for various reasons RSP's are unique and I will definately add a pair to my collection when funds permit.

A lot of keepers are waiting for others to start breeding RSP's before buying any.To date not many breeders have bred them yet.

They are very cool and unique animals. Hard to appreciate them fully from pics, but seeing them in the flesh is a completely different storey. They are wonderfully temperamented animals, I have yet to be struck at let alone taged by one of them. They have a very different look and an extremely different feel to them compared to any other python.

No not too many have successfully bred them as yet... we do have a gravid female at the moment who has ovulated and is now in her prelay shed cycle. 8)

I think the future is bright for Roughies, as more people are able to see them, they will become a lot more appreciated and popular. As far as their future with morphs, who knows, I have certainly seen quite some variation between different animals. But like any other project, morphs will develop in time with more animals being bred.

As far as hybridisation, well that's another story altogether, certainly being done as we speak. Not something that is in the future of working with these unique animals for me, that is my choice. Of course others will choose different paths.

From the limited literature I've found, they seem to be a pretty good animal to keep, placid etc.
Not to mention their unique characteristics in scalation (hence the name), & their googly head. Also they're a medium size python, which fits in with a lot of people's space availability for housing.
I'd have 'em if I could afford them (or had the extra room after I get my future additions, pair of Womas)

unfortunately , the RSP is being used in alot of hybrid projects ,
i know of more the 3 matings of a Rsp to a Gtp that have occurred. i think that this is the future for theRsp
Yeah, apparently they are closely related with GTPs (or something like that, I'm sure no geneticist)
There's a blurb on the SRSRK site as attached:
http://www.srsrk.com.au/2020salepages/roughscaled2020.htm

Rough Scaled Pythons X Green Tree Pythons! Reptile lovers my ***! :evil:

If they don’t like the colour they shouldn’t get one its simple, they shouldn't just go cross 2 beautiful unique pythons because they think they would make a good looking snake or probably they are just in it for the bloody money!! (that makes more sense:rolleyes:)

They should do their research to find out that there has only been 4 pairs taken from the wild (legally) and from my understandings there have not been many sightings.

The Rough Scaled Python should be treated with respect not crossed bred with different pythons as it has its own features that no other pythons have and it was not created to be bred with other pythons.

To me people should leave pythons the way they were created not to **** around with them by cross breeding, but the people who do cross breed them are most probably brain dead or just plain stupid!

I am happy that DEC has made it Illegal to cross breed any reptile in captivity and I am hoping they DO NOT allow more specimens to be taken from the wild and flown to the East as they most probably will be crossed bred like what is happening now and that would be just a waste of a specie :rolleyes: :evil:

whatever

Rough scales are mostly lined up for the same fate as all aussie pythons, morph em, line breed em and cross em til there whatever. You know how it's going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back