Will my Jungle Python stay this colour?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xsaleenx

Reaction score
Hi. I am about to purchase a 10 month old Jungle Python.. I have been told his colours would come out alot more with age but he is more brown n black then yellow and black.. But i have seen others same age with alot more yellow in them. Is it true that its colour will get brighter with age???

Attachments

• Male H 2[1].JPGddd.jpg
    Male H 2[1].JPGddd.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 337
IMO, the brown will come out with age in that animal. Usually as they age the darker colours come through and break up the lighter ones, Jungles look their best before three years of age, and good looking jungle that still holds it's colour after that is a really hot animal.

Hmm thanks for that.. Its gona be my first snake. So ive been doing as much research on it as possible. but figured a reptile forum. would be my best bet. Being with all ppl that know what they are talking about :D

He should become a little bit brighter over time before going a bit duller after 3 y.o as Jason pointed out. Looks like a lovely first snake, you must be exited :)

I'd disagree Jason, it look very much like a young Palmerston. What you will probably find is that the brown you are seeing is actually black with small flecks of yellow. As the animal ages you will find these flecks will become more pronounced and the black more obvious.

If it is a Palmerston you going to have fun, they are know to be a little... well lets say spirited :)

yeah I'd agree with Chimera its not a cape york, cape york show there colouring pretty much around 5 months of age and if it was these brown/yellow markings would be a solid Cream or white by now.

Hmm thanks for that.. Its gona be my first snake. So ive been doing as much research on it as possible. but figured a reptile forum. would be my best bet. Being with all ppl that know what they are talking about :D

Don't be fooled into thinking that everyone posting on this site knows what they are talking about! The challenge is to sort out those who know from those who only parrot what they have read before. Many stories become fact if written enough.

Most of our Palmerston jungle hatchies start to show thier B & G color from about 4 months old and only improve from there.

However there is always 1 or 2 animals in the clutch that will never develope the B & G
coloration, but will remain a washed out brown & off white color.
In my oppinion that animal is one that wont develope into black and gold!

If i get some time i will get a pic of a B & G we bred of the same age to show you the difference

Here's some pics of 3 different yearling Cape Yorks....
ww.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Personally, I think they are all the same thing, and only use the title "Jungle" to fit specific type animals.

couple of mine

View attachment 103131

View attachment 103132

View attachment 103133

View attachment 103134

but in showing these not always when someone posts a pic does it have to be a Cape york if it's got dull markings or whiter markings then its surpose to.

did the person breed it and if so then I'd ask for parent pic's first before considering to buy it them and sibling pic's we'll have more of an idea of what it could be and if there is any chance of it colouring up.

Last edited:
IMO the head one the first animal shown is too long and skinny to be a cape york. all the cape york heads seam to be small (short) and triangular shaped not long and slim.

lol thanx JasonL lol I really thought you where going to debate me on the subject lol.

but jes find out everything well before buying and look around at all your options before saying YES ITS MINE. check out prices too. how much are they selling it for? and what was it's locality they told you or do they only state it's a jungle?

Ultimate Reptile Suppliers has some stunning jungles palmerstons so you can get an idea on colouring and pricing. you never know you might end up going through these guys instead who knows

I'd disagree Jason, it look very much like a young Palmerston. What you will probably find is that the brown you are seeing is actually black with small flecks of yellow. As the animal ages you will find these flecks will become more pronounced and the black more obvious.

If it is a Palmerston you going to have fun, they are know to be a little... well lets say spirited :)
never coming across a PJ before ,they do have a rep of being as you put flighty ...:lol:
Just out of sheer curiosity,would you recommend them as a first time python to newbies ?
As I see so many on here claiming to either wanting or getting one ...and then you get the threads Why does my python bite me or how can I tame my python down...As never owning a jungle cant really comment ..but it is good to actually read what others that have had experience with these snakes (not just 1 snake) ..say about them ...

lol thanx JasonL lol I really thought you where going to debate me on the subject lol.

hahaha, no, I understand my thinking of carpet snakes isn't everyones ;). it's a touchy subject at best the old "Jungle" argument.... but personally there are few people I would buy one off, as there are more than a few people trying to get a few extra $$$ by calling any python with a swannky head pattern a Jungle...

yeah but I've payed top dollar for a couple of my Cape yorks so when I breed in a few years depending on the market price of cause I'd want to sell the special ones at or around the price I've payed. if you know what I meen. I bought 3 as cape york coastals and 2 as cape york jungles and oviously the 2 cape jungles where the top dollar ones. I how ever do find them different in pattern, colour and size to my know cape york coastals. and breeders say they only grow to max 6 ft however my cape york coastals grow to 7 -9 ft and are a lot duller and thicker.

now back to the subject, I couldn't tell ya if it will change colour, but they are known to take a wile to colour and by 2-3 years they will look there best and then get dull again. I don't personly own any true jungles only cape yorks and I can say they are all flighty and can be snappy at times. it would depend on the snake. if you get one then exspect to get bitten alot. IMO there bright colours make up for there attitude and would be more of a show animal then a lap or shoulder snake.

Some jungles start off with a dull appearance in colouring, then really colour up!
I wasn't sure if my jungle would ever get the really bright yellow (didn't bother me though), but boy was I wrong, he's super bright yellow now!!

Let's call "jungle carpets" Morelia spilotes cheynii. That eliminates confusion as M.s.cheynii only occurs in the wet tropics bioregion of north Qld, precisely from Paluma to Cooktown. Within this area it has a few different colour phases, most noticable the black and gold phase from mid-altitude rainforests around Innisfail and the black and white phase behind Mossman. M.s.cheynii are a small subspecies generally growing to less than 1.5 metres long. I have one here that is 9 years old and 3 foot long. They are rarely as brightly coloured as those found in captivity, which have been selectively bred, however some wild specimens are very bright. M.s cheynii, as with most other Morelia spilotes subspecies, intergrade with M.s.mcdowelli on the fringes of their core range. These intergrade snakes are often referred to as "Athertons" or "Palmerstons" or all kinds of other names by captive reptile fanciers, but they are really, genetically and ecologically the same species simply with different markings. Just think of how carpet and diamond pythons intergrade in the north of the diamond's range. It's sort of similar, only bordered by habitats and altitudes rather than latitude.

Although our knowledge of Morelia spilotes taxonomy is limited mostly to the dodgy Wells and Wellington revisions of the 1990's it is safe to say that M.s.cheynii is a small, nervous and sometimes brightly coloured subspecies of carpet python. It is more difficult to keep in captivity than its larger sister species M.s.mcdowelli (coastal or cape york or brisbane or whathaveyou carpets).

Just to complicate things, I have found black and gold coloured M.s.mcdowelli well outside of the range of intergrade with M.s.cheynii.

If you are unsure of the geographic origin of your snake' parents, then you can't claim it to be a jungle carpet python, particularly if it is over 1.5 metres long. It will simply be a pretty coloured carpet python, which is something to be admired! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back